The Great Smoker Fridge Challenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Great Smoker Fridge Challenge

I decided to build a homemade smoker made out of an old refrigerator, it will have a firebox mounted to the side and will be wood fired with no electric hotplate.

Me and a friend were sitting around one day discussing what I was going to do with my old fridge. We knew a guy when we were kids that smoked Mullet in an old fridge. That got us thinking. After a few beers I decided I could make a rather large smoker out of it for just about no cost to me.

I have a welder and some 18 ga sheet so thats what I am starting with. I will have to buy some vent and cap and 2 gauges but other than that it will only cost me my time. The purpose of this build is doing it on the cheap with what I have on hand.

I am not done yet I still have to put the shelves in, put a door on the firebox, and get the vent done, and paint it. My firebox design should have been different but you live and you learn. This is mt first try at something like this so this is a learning experience for me. I do plan on buying a firebox in the future because I am not sure how long the sheetmetal will last

Tell me what you think of my redneck build.

Here is what it looked like when I started

After The plastic was stripped I was left with this foam that needed to be removed

Here she is as a cleaned out shell

The sheetmetal

Comment

The foam removal is fun

Comment

The firebox

This is as far as I got so far

Comment

Looks like a great start to me.... Good Luck & ask any questions you would like to have advice on, there are a lot of veteran smoker builders here with tons of knowledge, I just don't happen to be one of them....
          sigpic

Comment

Great start, keep the progress pics comin!
            I'd get rid of them gaskets too, they gonna melt.
            Mark
            sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
            Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

be careful using gavinized material do not use any inside the fridge!!!
              Terry here
              Still have Christene

Comment

Should I run the vent out of the top, or the opposite side from the firebox, if on the side should it be high or low? What size vent will work the best? Just wondering if one way is better than another before I start cutting

Comment

Man...Stay after it! Ya got a plan...
                  Sunset Eagle Aviation
                  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

I have one sheet of galvanized on the door. I was reading about toxic gases from using galvanized in a smoker. I was gonna use a torch to heat it up good and burn off everything including some foam remnants on the inside. Will this be feasible?

I am going to try to source some used metal gasket from the appliance junk man. I thought I would try the rubber since I had it. I am expecting it to melt but I have to try it. What temp will this melt at anyone know or am I the first one to try something so stupid?

Comment

Originally posted by Kawickrice View Post
                      I decided to build a homemade smoker made out of an old refrigerator, it will have a firebox mounted to the side and will be wood fired with no electric hotplate.
                      Good man. Anybody that builds a smoker to burn wood or coals of some type is a winner in my book. That fridge isn't very old.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by davidmcg View Post
                        Good man. Anybody that builds a smoker to burn wood or coals of some type is a winner in my book. That fridge isn't very old.

I heard the humor here was free. Thats why I am here.

Comment

Should I run the vent out of the top, or the opposite side from the firebox, if on the side should it be high or low? What size vent will work the best? Just wondering if one way is better than another before I start cutting
                          On mine I cut it dead center top. Be sure to mark it from the inside, not the outside. As for size, that depends on the size of your firebox and smoke chamber. I attached a small excel program for you to use to find the right size.
                          Attached Files
                          sigpic

Comment

I have one sheet of galvanized on the door. I was reading about toxic gases from using galvanized in a smoker. I was gonna use a torch to heat it up good and burn off everything including some foam remnants on the inside. Will this be feasible?

I am going to try to source some used metal gasket from the appliance junk man. I thought I would try the rubber since I had it. I am expecting it to melt but I have to try it. What temp will this melt at anyone know or am I the first one to try something so stupid?
                            Take the galvanized off, not worth the hassle or risk. Get some oven rope gasket material. Its available from most hardware stores and any place they sell ovens.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by davidmcg View Post
                              Take the galvanized off, not worth the hassle or risk.
                              I can't source my stand on this but I've been welding as an amature for years and I've always heard that welding/torching/burning galvanized is a no-no and you can't burn it off as it will always gas on you. Hopefully somebody will show up with some facts, but I'd ditch the galvy too. Sorry to be a buzz-kill, cause you are doing a fantastic job. Stay with it it's gonna be great!
                              JT

Comment

Working...
                              X