Question About Sauerkraut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question About Sauerkraut

For my fist time ever I have a small 5lb batch of sauerkraut about 1 week into the fermentation process and it is smelling good. I plan to can this stuff into pint sized jars as that would be enough for a side dish for me and the wife. My question is how do you stop the fermentation process when its ready? Does the canning process stop it? I don't want jars exploding on the shelf.
    sigpic

GOSM/propane
    UDS (Cam)/lump
    22.5 Weber Kettle/lump
    Weber Genesis/propane
    Camp Chef Pro 90/ propane

Yum

I'm not to sure on, since I've never made homemade sauerkraut. But if you need someone to sample taste some of yours, I happily volunteer.

GOSM
    K.C.B.S Member # 60786
    Digital Thermometers
    Hybrid Kenmore grill 1/2 charcoal 1/2 gas
    140 lb English Mastiff/ American Bulldog, she is my taste tester and BBQ companion.

Comment

Originally posted by lcruzen View Post
      For my fist time ever I have a small 5lb batch of sauerkraut about 1 week into the fermentation process and it is smelling good. I plan to can this stuff into pint sized jars as that would be enough for a side dish for me and the wife. My question is how do you stop the fermentation process when its ready? Does the canning process stop it? I don't want jars exploding on the shelf.
      hea Cruz... you dont want to stop the process, let it keep on fermenting til it is done. the taste will only get better. i do believe however when you process the jars, it would end the fermentation early as the temps would kill the active bacteria. i have mine still in crocks and is exactly one month to the day and thinking about jarring it up next weekend.
      Charbroil SFB
      GOSM
      MES
      Dutch Ovens and other CI
      Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
      Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Let it go till fermentation stops... it's self regulating :{)

Heat processing will ensure no further ferment takes place like E said. Or freezing as well.
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Thanx guys, I didn't realize the fermentation would end by itself but it make sense. So when I get to that point can the kraut go directly into a sterilized jar for processing or do you need to heat the kraut first?
          sigpic

GOSM/propane
          UDS (Cam)/lump
          22.5 Weber Kettle/lump
          Weber Genesis/propane

Comment

I've never canned it so ignore the following:

You have to heat it to get a seal on the jar. The acid content should keep you safe, so I don't THINK you have to go the whole hot process... use hot jars and kraut, and seal 'em.

Erain???
            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
              I've never canned it so ignore the following:

You have to heat it to get a seal on the jar. The acid content should keep you safe, so I don't THINK you have to go the whole hot process... use hot jars and kraut, and seal 'em.

Erain???
              you dont need to drag the pressure canner out for this, hot water bath method is all you need for a safe product... bring the kraut and juice to a simmer/low boil and pack in sterile jars with 1/2" headspace. process quarts for 25 minutes in boiling water. if you are gonna use pints i believe the time would be less, maybe 5-10 minutes less. i am not sure so you would have to google that one. make sure jars are hot before adding the kraut and process right away while still hot. do not stick a cold jar into the boiling water. it could break.

i did a post on this a while back if it helps.
              http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2906
              Charbroil SFB
              GOSM
              MES
              Dutch Ovens and other CI
              Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
              Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

My daughter works at a bank, she makes lots of friends. Ther is an older guy that banks there and usually around this time of year he brings her quart bags of kraut ( frozen) I first thought; frozen isn't gonna be that good, but it is. We usually can most everything here, but then again we do freeze alot too. Just an option.

Comment

I freeze corn but I want to can as much as possible to free up freezer space for all that venison I'm going to harvest this year!

Thanx for all of the help guys!
                  sigpic

GOSM/propane
                  UDS (Cam)/lump
                  22.5 Weber Kettle/lump
                  Weber Genesis/propane

Comment

Good luck with that Lou. I have had 3 years running with nothing while hunting. That ok though, alot of people like me to smoke jerky and such for them and we just split it.

Comment

Don't forget Lee they have an early doe season the weekend of the 17,18,19, I am not sure of the dates but I know its the weekend before the youth hunt.
                      If You Can Not Stand Behind Our Troops,
                      Please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them

Comment

Thanks Gary, haven't even picked up this years guide yet. Youth hunt you say, Why theres a couple around here that...

Originally posted by JustSmoke2 View Post
                        Don't forget Lee they have an early doe season the weekend of the 17,18,19, I am not sure of the dates but I know its the weekend before the youth hunt.

Comment

Working...
                        X