What do you think of this smoker box?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you think of this smoker box?

Stumbled upon this unit at a local scrap yard and could not resist.

I am more of a stainless kind of guy but am looking at making a hybrid gas/charcoal vertical for one of my boys.

This unit hold full size sheet pans that I figure I could cut out the centers and replace with wire mesh.

I have access to another one that is 2 inches deeper which would allow more air flow.

I would have to silicone the holes on the ends shut and use silicone tape on the door to seal it.

Just looking for everyones opinion on using an Aluminum box versus steel or stainless.
    Attached Files

There's certainly no shortage of capacity in that unit and the same goes for the other one if it's 2" deeper Both should be sweet smokers for sure.

What were your thoughts on the location of the heat source, in the bottom or on the outside (sfb)?
    sigpic
    New Braunfels Bandera
    New Braunfels Hondo
    4-22.5" Weber Kettles
    1-26" Weber Kettle
    24"X72" Reverse Flow-Made in the U.S.A. by me
    Navy Corpsman-'69-'73 Semper Fi

https://www.facebook.com/highrollersbbq/

Comment

Love it. Ive been trying to get one of those from a restaurant auction site. Keep us updated.
      GOSM
      Sausagemaker's Country Smokehouse
      Charcoal Grill
      Stainless Steel Gas Grill (for when I'm really lazy)

Comment

I'm thinkin ya done good!
        Sunset Eagle Aviation
        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

What a score. Very cool. All the hard work is already done LOL.
          https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

Looks like a keeper, one of you sons should be a happy smoker !!!
            --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
            www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

Heat source

I probably will make them what I call a hybrid, and have the heat source inside at the bottom or outside on the bottom.

The oldest boy enjoys charcoal so I have an idea to create a system that has a removable gas burner similar to gas smoker.com that can be replaced with a fire box for charcoal or an electric BBQ element controlled with a PID for sausage.

For Smoke I may try an amazing smoker clone or a smoke daddy clone.

I also have my eye on a small stick burner smoker down the street that has not been used for years.

Wheels are turning..........

Comment

nickelmore
                Just a thought I had on this, possibly treat this as a liner and build a wooden "outhouse style" box around it. This would give you the opportunity to insulate between the house & the liner and have you heat/smoke source located under the liner. This would allow you to use the entire interior of the liner for smoking space.
                --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
                www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

Originally posted by MossyMO View Post
                  nickelmore
                  Just a thought I had on this, possibly treat this as a liner and build a wooden "outhouse style" box around it. This would give you the opportunity to insulate between the house & the liner and have you heat/smoke source located under the liner. This would allow you to use the entire interior of the liner for smoking space.
                  I was thinking just that. The thing is set up to hold all those racks, it's a shame to take away from it for a heat source. An insulated firebox underneath it fired by charcoal. Just like a UDS. You could load that badboy up with a boatload of ribs or butts or briskets and let it humm away all day long.
                  I can see some nice tongue and grove cedar or treated boards on the outside with a good high temp (kiln) insulation in between.
                  https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

looks great keep those wheels turnin
                    sigpicbrinkman pitmaster deluxe
                    members mark upright propane smoker
                    kingsford bbq
                    23"weber kettle

Comment

Sweet Score!.... With your described mods to a sheet pan you got a smoking machine. A thought on charcoal and aluminum.... How much heat can aluminum take?... If it was me, I think I would go electric with a PID and have total temp control..... Sausage and Jerky machine!
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                        How much heat can aluminum take?
                        Aluminium :
                        Melting Point: 660.37 °C or 933.52 K or 1220.666 °F
                        sigpic
                        New Braunfels Bandera
                        New Braunfels Hondo
                        4-22.5" Weber Kettles
                        1-26" Weber Kettle
                        24"X72" Reverse Flow-Made in the U.S.A. by me
                        Navy Corpsman-'69-'73 Semper Fi

https://www.facebook.com/highrollersbbq/

Comment

You got me thinking now...... Would a hot plate with an adjustable heat control work?.... Just place a Cast Iron pan on top with your wood chunks? That would be a cheap easy way?
                          sigpic

Comment

Great minds think the same

funny one of the options i was thinking about was to wrap this box in a bunch of old barn wood as a outside skin. It has indented sides that I could use foil back foam board.

That is what I wanted to do on my first build but I did not like the look of barnwood and stainless.

I have learned a bunch from my first build and the fine folks from the forums that have brought me this far in my hobby.

I will to pick up the other box this week, its just a tad bit nicer than this one.

I run a electric element and a PID controller in my other box similar to this for sausage.

I better get the boy over here tomorow and start before i forget all these ideas.

ALL IDEAS WELCOME!

Comment

Originally posted by Mikey View Post
                              Aluminium :
                              Melting Point: 660.37 °C or 933.52 K or 1220.666 °F
                              That is correct on the melt temps. It starts getting soft at about 850. So, anything you smoke will be safe. Wish I could get just one box like that. If I did, I would split the doors so that temp control would not be hampered opening the door across all the shelves for mopping or when one pice of meat is done and the others are still humming.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X