Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noob Comp Question

Pulled Pork? How do you turn it in?
    I'm entering my first Comp Oct1&2, Central Florida BBQ Festival - Sebring, FL
    The rules say you will be disqualified if;
    3# There are not a minimum of 8 separate and identifiable pieces.
    So how do you present it, in eight or more plastic cups, slice it and not pull it...?

Tryin to make sure I have my "ducks in line".
    Thanks
    Mark
    sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
    Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Got it!

Except it looks like loin and
    Pork: Whole shoulder, Boston butt or Picnic only. Must be cooked as a single piece of meat.
    is all we are allowed to use. I don't think we are allowed to garnish either.
    But I get the idea.
    Thank you to SmokinLee for showing the way.
    Mark
    sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?

Comment

Mark, interesting that the rules read that way for butts. I can see it for chicken, ribs and brisket. When I do a turn in I put chopped or pulled, some nice pieces of bark and try to get some medalions (spelling). There is no garnish in the SCBA.
      www.nopigleftbehind.com
      -----------------------------

Comment

Qualifier: That is a KCBS turn-in box. 6 pieces. Yours would have a bigger pile-o-pulled and 8 "medallions" I guess? Hope they got bigger boxes... 6 is tight with chicken and ribs...
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Hey man I know how frustrating it is on your first comp. Info is hard to get cause I didn't even know the right questions to ask. Only thing I can offer is to have a great time and MAKE time to go try your competitions Q. Especially the big names. There really is a difference. I thought they were all gonna be secretive jerks but take the time to talk to em, you might be suprised. I was. Go for the gold but go for the education too.
          JT

Comment

I'll give you all I got..but you're gonna owe more after than before!

I'll be ok, this is a learning experience. Just don't want to embarrass myself getting my feet wet.

Thanks
            Mark
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
              I'll give you all I got..but you're gonna owe more after than before!

I'll be ok, this is a learning experience. Just don't want to embarrass myself getting my feet wet.

Thanks
              In dans box you posted you would be fine from my experience doing a bunch of pulled pork like front of his box....I am assuming the 8 pieces means 8 judges per entry....

The money muscle can take some practice and it can be tough if not properly cooked....(back of the box shown)

I would suggest the meat from around bone(dark meat of butt)...Thumb size pieces give judge a good mouthfull....Shouldnt be hard to get 12 plus pieces from 2 butts or 8 from one butt ....

Comment

Originally posted by ALX View Post
                In dans box you posted you would be fine from my experience doing a bunch of pulled pork like front of his box....I am assuming the 8 pieces means 8 judges per entry....

The money muscle can take some practice and it can be tough if not properly cooked....(back of the box shown)

I would suggest the meat from around bone(dark meat of butt)...Thumb size pieces give judge a good mouthfull....Shouldnt be hard to get 12 plus pieces from 2 butts or 8 from one butt ....
                I'll definitely do two butts two be able to choose a bit.

Thanks again.
                Mark
                sigpic

Comment

Mark, to get those little medalions I would do 3 or 4 butts. If you over cook one or two butts you will not be able to slice the money muscle like that. What we plan on is 2 butts cooked to about 200 and the other 2 to about 185-190.
                  www.nopigleftbehind.com
                  -----------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by gooose53 View Post
                    Mark, to get those little medalions I would do 3 or 4 butts. If you over cook one or two butts you will not be able to slice the money muscle like that. What we plan on is 2 butts cooked to about 200 and the other 2 to about 185-190.
                    yepper!

we only cook 2, but I like living on the edge!
                    Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Captain-N-Smoke BBQ Team(retired)

Comment

Hey Mark....Here is some info on comp butts with pics...Paul does a good job of explaining money muscle..etc...

http://www.thepickledpig.com/forums/...tion-pork.html

Comment

Originally posted by ALX View Post
                        Hey Mark....Here is some info on comp butts with pics...Paul does a good job of explaining money muscle..etc...

http://www.thepickledpig.com/forums/...tion-pork.html
                        WOW, that is a boatload of information - That really helps! So much to learn, and I have to eat my way through it, ohh darn!!!
                        Thank You again!
                        Mark
                        sigpic

Comment

As I agree that appearnce is important, don't forget that flavor is more important.

Comment

Originally posted by ButcherBBQ View Post
                            As I agree that appearnce is important, don't forget that flavor is more important.
                            You are correct. Matter of fact- here's the KCBS "weighting" factors on Appearance, Taste and Tenderness- respectively: 0.5714, 2.2858, 1.1428

The individual judge scores are multiplied by these factors to generate the weighted score. Hence... a "9 9 9" score translates to a 36.

But also remember... a botched/incorrect ingredient/foreign object in the box is a DQ- no matter HOW good the food is. Done, fini, alles kaput.
                            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                              But also remember... a botched/incorrect ingredient/foreign object in the box is a DQ- no matter HOW good the food is. Done, fini, alles kaput.
                              This has been bugging me. Exactly what does that mean? And does that include marks from injecting?
                              Besides the obvious, like a pine cone in the box.
                              Mark
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X