Fish On!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fish On!

Well it was about time I smoke the whitefish and lake trout I had caught this spring. I will do 2 batches the first is in the brine at the moment.

Apple will be the flavor for the 2 batches.

Brine:

1 gallon Apple Juice

1 cup Kosher Salt

1/2 cup Brown Sugar

8 clovers of smashed Garlic

1 onion coarse chop

2 stalks of celery coarse chop

Will brine overnight for approx 24 hrs. Then on to the smoker tomorrow on apple wood for about 3-4 hours. I make a glaze spritz of apple juice and brown sugar that that I spray the fillets with about every half hour or so. Gives a nice shiny appearance for the finish.

Whitefish is up first with the lake trout tomorrow.

Will keep ya posted with the rest of pic's as they come in.
    Attached Files

You've got my attention! I'll be watching.
    Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
    Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
    1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
    Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
    Weber Smokey Joe
    Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
    Pink Thermapen
    Purple Thermapen

Comment

Looking good - and that's a great sounding brine too

Got me drooling just thinking about the finished product.

I really do need to smoke more fish :-)
      Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
      Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Great looking start!... Let er rip!
        Last edited by Fishawn; 09-16-2010, 02:12 AM. Reason: spell ing
        sigpic

Comment

Celery...no kiddin'. First I heard of that as a brine component. Hmm why not? Plus the nitrates might even help the process
          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Nice size fish too...
            Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Hmm...Interesting brine & time. Got my interest! Get on it!
              Sunset Eagle Aviation
              https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                Celery...no kiddin'. First I heard of that as a brine component. Hmm why not? Plus the nitrates might even help the process
                Good grief!! That's reminiscent of a discussion over at SMF. You're startin' to sound like Alex.

Tom

Comment

Sounds great! can't wait to see the finale... I LOVE the kitchen island as well! nice, very nice!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Well it was late by the time I got the trout processed and into the brine. I staggered the brine time as my poor little brinkman is filled to the lid.

I sprinkle abit of hot paprika on the fillets just before they go on the smoker. I will smoke at about 195-200 for the first hour and then down to about 150 for the last couple. The White fish is thin and may come off abit sooner than the trout. As mentioned I will spritz the fillets with apple juice about every 1.5 hours or so.

Bbqgoddess, thanks for the complement. About 4 years ago we took out some old maple hard wood from our family room. I just couldnt throw it out so I laminated it and it became my butcher block island. The seating area I did with tile.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Well they both came off great. The whitefish was zippy but not too hot. I decided to cover the trout with brown sugar. Saw a post that erain did and had to try it. Sweet, salty and smokey!
                      Attached Files

Comment

Wow how did I miss this thread?! Excellent coverage and a fine smoke! That li'l Brinkman worked it's heart out on that one! NICE!!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Working...
                        X