Pot o' chili

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pot o' chili

Been working on chili for tomorrow. Just about ready to add some water to it so it can do a slow simmer all night and thicken up again. Lots of times I use beef chunks or strips in my chili, but didn't see a piece of meat I wanted to cut up for it, so this time used ground beef and slices of smoked sausage. Put in 4 or 5 small hot chilis, a couple of jalapenos and 2 cowhorn peppers, plus a bunch of diced tomatos from the garden. Added some red bell peppers from the garden, tomato sauce, a can of beans(for my wife, who likes chili con carne y frijoles), some celery, and some mushrooms. Flavored with lots of cumin and garlic, some chili powder, fresh rosemary, basil, oregano, several heaping spoonfulls of instant coffee, one or two spoonfulls of unsweetened cocoa, blackstrap molasses, and splenda, since my wife and I are both diabetics. All that plus a secret ingredient that no one else I know of puts in chili, and no one has been able to guess. Here it is in a 8 1/2 qt pot just before thinning it a bit for the night. I like to leave my chili simmer anywhere from 16-20 hours before serving, so I usually have to add some water several times to keep it from getting too thick. Lucky me, I take water pills, which means I usually wake up in the middle of the night, so I can stir it and add water if necessary. Darn frickin, frackin water pills!
    DennyD

GrillPro charcoal cabinet smoker, CharGriller Pro, 22" CKG(cheap kettle grill), 16" UniFlame kettle, Firepit/smoker stickburner, Brinkman gasser w/smoker box

Looking Good!
    sigpic

Comment

Heh- sounds like the water pills have a couple advantages :{) Fine lookin' pot-o-chili there sir! And I like beans in mine as well. Yeah, Ken'll (Texans in general) have a fit about that... but hey- he can pick them out eh!
      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

They're called Chilli beans for a reason lol

That looks as a fine a pot of chilli as I've seen

All that plus a secret ingredient that no one else I know of puts in chili, and no one has been able to guess.
        You can tell us though, right ?
        Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
        Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Stiil haven't been able to make my perfect pot of chili. Thanks for the coffee tip. I'll have to try that. Great lookin chili!
          JT

Comment

If it ain't got beans in it, it's just stewed beef.

Mighty interesting pot o chili ya got goin there DD.

Comment

Lookin good Denny. I love Chilli almost as much as I love "BACON" . Any way lookin good.
              sigpic

Char-Griller Outlaw w-SFB & (mods)
              30" Masterbuilt Electric Smokehouse

Comment

I like pinto beans in my chili. What the hell is that anteater talking about anyway?

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark
                  They're called Chilli beans for a reason lol
                  Ah, but I don't use "chili beans", my preferred beans for chili(when I use beans) are either black beans or chickpeas, oftened labeled garbanzo beans. When I use them I only dump in a single 15 oz can.

You can tell us though, right ?
                  Well, I remembered I left one thing out.... a little bit of cinnamon. But that's not the secret ingredient, the secret ingredient is a major component of the sauce. Sometime this winter, when I'm stuck inside by bad weather, I'm going to start putting recipes pics and info on what will be my BBQ/cooking site. Then I plan to take my time and write down what I put in my chili, put it online as "Denny's Secret Chili Recipe", and sell the recipe. Nah!! only funnin ya! I can't imagine someone asking for money for a single recipe. It will be a totally non-commercial personal interest site.

Anyway, I plan to post it when I get my BBQ site/blog up, complete with secret ingredient. Right now there's nothing but the title and background image for the main page at thinblusmoke.folknotes.com . When I post it, you guys will be the first to know. Saving the recipe til then... gotta save something for an enticement to get people to come visit!
                  DennyD

GrillPro charcoal cabinet smoker, CharGriller Pro, 22" CKG(cheap kettle grill), 16" UniFlame kettle, Firepit/smoker stickburner, Brinkman gasser w/smoker box

Comment

Originally posted by DennyD View Post
                    Been working on chili for tomorrow. Just about ready to add some water to it so it can do a slow simmer all night and thicken up again. Lots of times I use beef chunks or strips in my chili, but didn't see a piece of meat I wanted to cut up for it, so this time used ground beef and slices of smoked sausage. Put in 4 or 5 small hot chilis, a couple of jalapenos and 2 cowhorn peppers, plus a bunch of diced tomatos from the garden. Added some red bell peppers from the garden, tomato sauce, a can of beans(for my wife, who likes chili con carne y frijoles), some celery, and some mushrooms. Flavored with lots of cumin and garlic, some chili powder, fresh rosemary, basil, oregano, several heaping spoonfulls of instant coffee, one or two spoonfulls of unsweetened cocoa, blackstrap molasses, and splenda, since my wife and I are both diabetics. All that plus a secret ingredient that no one else I know of puts in chili, and no one has been able to guess. Here it is in a 8 1/2 qt pot just before thinning it a bit for the night. I like to leave my chili simmer anywhere from 16-20 hours before serving, so I usually have to add some water several times to keep it from getting too thick. Lucky me, I take water pills, which means I usually wake up in the middle of the night, so I can stir it and add water if necessary. Darn frickin, frackin water pills!
                    Yep It's getting to be chili season...

Hey Denny, You might want to be a little clearer about where you get the water you add to the chili. Those last two sentences really shouldn't be together when Taking Water Pills and Adding Water to the Chili...:lol:

Comment

Originally posted by Beer-B-Q
                      Those last two sentences really shouldn't be together when Taking Water Pills and Adding Water to the Chili...:lol:
                      Hahaha!! I can assure you, the water pills have nothing to do with "the secret ingredient".
                      Only advantage I can think of to them is that they make it so I never have to set an alarm clock to tend to the smoker or something on the stove in the middle of the night.
                      DennyD

Comment

Originally posted by DennyD View Post
                        Hahaha!! I can assure you, the water pills have nothing to do with "the secret ingredient".
                        Only advantage I can think of to them is that they make it so I never have to set an alarm clock to tend to the smoker or something on the stove in the middle of the night.
                        i was going to mention that, but couldn't think of a polite way of saying: 'so do you piss in the chilli ?'

good job i didn't just say that eh ?
                        Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                        Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Denny, thanks for the info. I LOVE chili, something us Canuks never really got into like our southern friends and to this day I still can't understand why. It's the best meal for our -30C winter weather, warms you right up, and tasty, tasty, tasty!!

Instant coffee? Really? wow, you just showed me how much of an amateur I am. Is there another reason for it other then just taste?

My recepie is no where as complex as yours, you've just given me a challenge to step it up to the next level that I didn't even realize was there. Awesome!

If you don't mind me asking, type 1 or 2?

Comment

Now that's a meal

I love me some chili, and I too, being from the midwest put beans in my chili, I also use pork and beef. My wife is not a big fan of chili, she lives with me and our 4 boys, she complains about the constant release of air pressure

GOSM
                            K.C.B.S Member # 60786
                            Digital Thermometers
                            Hybrid Kenmore grill 1/2 charcoal 1/2 gas
                            140 lb English Mastiff/ American Bulldog, she is my taste tester and BBQ companion.

Comment

It's definitely chili season. Had the same plan for tonight. Yours looks awesome. And yes, chili should have beans in it.

Originally posted by northern greenhorn View Post
                              I love me some chili, and I too, being from the midwest put beans in my chili, I also use pork and beef. My wife is not a big fan of chili, she lives with me and our 4 boys, she complains about the constant release of air pressure
                              See now that's her fault. If she'd eat her share, she could fire back. Just sayin'.
                              S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
                              CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
                              New Braunfels Bandera
                              UniFlame Gas Grill
                              Lil Chief

Comment

Working...
                              X