Spaghetti Sauce Recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spaghetti Sauce Recipe

3rd time making this with little mods here and there and have what myself and the family agree is some of the best sauce so far. Not tooting my own, that much, but it beats anything from the store. It's a large batch and you will need lots of Tomato's.

55# of Roma Tomato's. I used little momma from Burpee's.
    5 Cups chopped Onion. 1/4" x 1/4"
    3/4 Cup Sugar. I use sugar in the raw but regular white will work.
    3/4 Cup fresh finely chopped Basil
    1/2 Cup fresh finely chopped Parsley
    1/2 Cup Fresh finely chopped Oregano
    1/2 Cup fresh minced Garlic
    1/4 Cup Kosher salt
    1 Tbl Fresh finely chopped Marjoram
    1 Tbl Fresh finely chopped Thyme
    1 Tbl black Pepper
    2 tsp Celery seed
    1 tsp Ground Rosemary
    5 Bay Leaves. I run them thru a coffee grinder till they are cut up very fine and add them.

Tomato's should be cored and skins off. Scarp insides to remove seeds and the watery sac that they are in. Not all seeds need be gone. You just want to get the extra water out of them or your boil time will be longer. This amount of maters fills my 5 gal stainless pot a couple inches from the rim. I let this sit for about an hour and put the insert that comes with pressure cookers, the thing that the jars sit on, on top of the mater and tip the hole pot on its side and let the water that has been squeezed out from the weight of themselves drain into the sink. Use a potato masher to mash them and cook down.

Consistency and yield will vary based on tomato's used. I will cook down to right around 3 gal. Tomato's with more water in them you may need to go more. Consistency should be where a large spoon of it sorta heaps on the spoon and not level out.

Fill quart jars and process and in pressure cooker at 10# for 35 minutes. Will post a pic of this batch shortly.

I add peppers and mushrooms when I actually make dinner so at keep the flavor and texture of them fresh.

Should yield between 12-14 quarts.

On edit. I meant to say 3/4 C Sugar and 1/4 C salt. Already corrected it in the above recipe but if you copied it as I originally posted it, these are the measurements I meant to post.
    Last edited by Meat Hunter; 09-17-2010, 11:24 AM. Reason: Wrong measurements on a couple items.
    https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

And here is pic from a little that was left over. Nice and thick, not watery. Going to have this in a couple nights with some fresh homemade spicy Italian sausage and wild hen of the woods mushrooms.

If that batch looks too much for you to tackle, you can always reduce the ingredients by half, quarter or whatever.

Comment

MH that is freaking awesome Bud. Just beautiful man. The points cops busted me so I owe ya. I have to try this. All the best...
      ---------------------------------------------------
      I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
      ---------------------------------------------------
      KCBS CBJ

Comment

Great looking sauce, Todd. My wife is from Italy, so there won't be any sugar going in the sauce. Actually, about half the ingredients in yours are taboo here. Sometimes I can sneak in some Italian seasoning as long as I don't put in too much. I think I'd like yours.
        sigpic
        Smoke Vault 24

Comment

I pressure cook mine as well. I like the added safety. In fact the texture on yours looks much better than mine. I usually run mine through the mill to remove skin and seeds. May have to try it your way. I like it!
          JT

Comment

Originally posted by Bassman View Post
            Actually, about half the ingredients in yours are taboo here. Sometimes I can sneak in some Italian seasoning as long as I don't put in too much. I think I'd like yours.

If you wife has a real Italian recipe for sauce, and she'd be willing to pass it along, I would LOVE to have it.
            My wifes friend back in PA is Italian, her mother came here from Italy. Her pasta dinners are out of this world. All from scratch and spends hours in the kitchen preparing it. If I could make a sauce like her's, Oh momma mia, thats some good sauce.

Comment

Originally posted by Whisky Fish View Post
              I usually run mine through the mill to remove skin and seeds. May have to try it your way. I like it!
              The very first time I did sauce I ran it thru a mill to remove seeds and skin. But I wanted a more chunkier sauce so I went with the removal of the skins by dipping in boiling water till they split then into cold water. When the skin is removed, I half them and use a finger to scrap out the seeds. I dont get them all but about 95%+. Then they go into the pot and just sorta break down on their own.

For regular tomato sauce, I use the mill. Only have the hand crank one, and doing 50# of maters that way sure takes time. Some day I would like to get the mill that goes on the KitchenAid or a comparable one that is motorized.

Comment

Working...
              X