For you Cast Iron Junkies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For you Cast Iron Junkies

Every now and then, we come across cast pans at garage sales. I know some of you collect them. Aside from the new stuff being made these days, is there really any difference in the casting/quality/brand of the old pans? Some better or more sought after than others?
    Just curious.
    https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Good question, I'm kinda new to Cast Iron, so I will be interested in the answers also. What I like about them most is that they are pretty much indestructable and can go from stove to oven to grill to smoker, etc. You don't have to baby these babies. Put them to work, then pass them on to your kids, they should damn near last forever!
    sigpic

Comment

Yes, the metal is better in some of the older ones. Less impurities. Griswold, Wagner and Erie are some off the top of my head. Stay away from the foreign made ones. Never know what's in them.

I've also noticed that some have been overheated and warped on the bottom. It'll be buldged downward and rock on a flat surface, if you get what I mean. Pass on those.
      S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
      CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
      New Braunfels Bandera
      UniFlame Gas Grill
      Lil Chief

Comment

Good point on the overheating bottom Ray.... Never seen it myself, but will watch for it...Always learning here...
        sigpic

Comment

i'm using one of my grand mothers and one i've had for ten years. they both seem to work the same.

my friend has one well over 100 years old that he uses on his chuck wagon. i don't know if it is any better but it is a lot cooler!!!
          Please ignore all spelling errors and typos my pet monkey does all of my corespondence

Comment

This is just my .02.But I think if it says Wagner it is before 1920 something if it say's Wagner Ware it is after again don't quote but I think there is something to that.And with Grisold if it say's Erie on it it is older.I have a Wagner Waffle griddle that I believe say's 1910 pat. date I would have to look I also have a Griswold 8" Griddle that say's Erie.I will have to double check my info.I have a Buttload of cast iron I will have to post it sometime.GOOD LUCK IN YOUR SEARCH.The older ones of a good name seem to be lighter.I don't know if that is better quality casting or what
            sigpic

Certified Sausage Head

Comment

I wish DODave was on this site.

I've invited him.

That dude KNOWS his stuff.

I agree on the advice from Rowdy Ray.

Good Luck
              SKOL MN BRO !
              Vman

Comment

We would welcome him with open arms SVM!..... on another note, I sure hope Vincent Jackson goes to the Vikings..... I have him stashed away in my fantasy football league .... I think he would make the Vikings a serious contender.... Even more so than they are right now....
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by supervman View Post
                  I wish DODave was on this site.

I've invited him.

That dude KNOWS his stuff.

I agree on the advice from Rowdy Ray.

Good Luck
                  SKOL MN BRO !
                  Vman

That would be cool to have Dave here... I have not seen him since the first year I joined smf. I tried to find him several moths back.. All the posts that I could find of his were like 4-5 months old.. I have no idea where he has been hiding..

Feel free to tell him I personally invite him here.. His DO knowledge is great..
                  Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

•Turn the pan over and look at the bottom. Look for writing on the bottom of the piece, indicating that it was made in Sidney, Ohio. It may have "Sidney, Ohio" on the bottom or just "Sidney O." This indicates that the piece was made by Wagner Ware before 1922.

Look for any sign of the Wagner name, typically labeled as "Wagner" with the name in quotation marks. The company used this early marking prior to 1922, sometimes in combination with the Sidney name. This indicates that the piece is an authentic Wagner.

Check for a Wagner Ware name, along with a Griswold name or a cross inside a circle. The Griswold company sold to Wagner in the 1950s and all the production of those pieces moved to the Sidney location. Pieces from the Griswold molds made after this time period have both names on the bottom.

Hopefully this helps you out Meathunter
                    sigpic

Certified Sausage Head

Comment

So this would be pre-1920s?
                      Mark
                      sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                      Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
                        So this would be pre-1920s?
                        From what I have looked up on line a while back.I think if it say's "WAGNER" it is pre 20's.If it say's Wagner Ware it is post 20's?
                        Attached Files
                        sigpic

Certified Sausage Head

Comment

This site has a lot of info on cast iron.
                          http://www.wag-society.org/index.php
                          sigpic
                          New Braunfels Bandera
                          New Braunfels Hondo
                          4-22.5" Weber Kettles
                          1-26" Weber Kettle
                          24"X72" Reverse Flow-Made in the U.S.A. by me
                          Navy Corpsman-'69-'73 Semper Fi

https://www.facebook.com/highrollersbbq/

Comment

I've got a few old Wagners and Griswolds. I had a Chinese 8" pan, but as was said earlier... stay away from them. It broke in half as I was cooking with the damn thing.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

It should be early 1930"s so that's about right,
                              Thanks
                              Mark
                              sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                              Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Working...
                              X