Reverse flow plate question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reverse flow plate question

I am going to start my 500 gal LP tank trailer and have a question on reverse flow plate.

I see that all of the ones that I see have the RF plate slope down as it goes away from the fire box to the other end. Will it matter if I slope it towards the fire box to allow the heat and smoke to travel easier to the cook chamber and have the drain at the fire box end and go through the bottom?

What are your thoughts?
    My new smoker http://s25.photobucket.com/user/blac.../Clone%20build

*RIB LICKER RUB *** Makes you want to lick the bones

Having a Liberal along is like losing two good men.

I believe the main reason it's at the opposite end of the firebox is...well.... fire. The plate is usually tight up against the firebox side and open on the opposite. If the grease catches fire, it'll be hard to put out. By draining it the other way, the risk is far less.
    S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
    CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
    New Braunfels Bandera
    UniFlame Gas Grill
    Lil Chief

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRay View Post
      I believe the main reason it's at the opposite end of the firebox is...well.... fire. The plate is usually tight up against the firebox side and open on the opposite. If the grease catches fire, it'll be hard to put out. By draining it the other way, the risk is far less.
      That would be my guess also.

Tom

Comment

Yeah, you want the grease to run away from the fire, not toward it. I doubt the angle of the plate is going to hurt the flow of smoke and heat... you'll get plenty. It is a proven design and works very well.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
          Yeah, you want the grease to run away from the fire, not toward it. I doubt the angle of the plate is going to hurt the flow of smoke and heat... you'll get plenty. It is a proven design and works very well.
          What he said^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
          Terry here
          Still have Christene

Comment

Well I get now, makes sense
            My new smoker http://s25.photobucket.com/user/blac.../Clone%20build

*RIB LICKER RUB *** Makes you want to lick the bones

Having a Liberal along is like losing two good men.

Comment

Mine angles into the center of my cooker, kinda like a v notch with the drain in the center. If it's welded solid all the way through you will never get a grease fire...
              ---------------------------------------------------
              I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
              ---------------------------------------------------
              KCBS CBJ

Comment

Working...
              X