Attention ALL MUSHROOM HUNTERS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attention ALL MUSHROOM HUNTERS

MUSHROOM HUNTERS in the midwest area, there out!!!!! In force!!!
    Making some final adjustments today to our deer stands and found a nice Hen of the woods shroom. Grabbed it and then another, and another and another. Also found several Chicken shrooms as well as some Old Mans Beard (aka bears tooths) and a couple shaggy manes and some studded puff balls. Hen of the woods popped up a month ago with the nice weather and I thought that was it. OH NO, round 2 has just begun so if your into em, get your butt out in the woods.

Here are a few shots from today.

Hen of the woods.

This one is about 2 feet by 14".

Chicken mushrooms.

Bears tooth/Old mans beard.

Studded puffballs.

Shaggy mane.

Some of the Hen of the woods already picked.
    Sorry for the mess in my van, if I knew I was going to score some shrooms, I would have cleaned it up. NOT.

Oh, and one shed antler. Enjoy.
    https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Holy crap! That's a nice chicken shroom. I need to get my butt out there.
    S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
    CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
    New Braunfels Bandera
    UniFlame Gas Grill
    Lil Chief

Comment

Of all those, the only I've had are the puff balls. I like them a lot. I've seen thousands of those hen of the woods, but by the time I see them, they're pretty tough.

Tom

Comment

Nice score.
        and YEah Same, Gunslinger.

Hey MEat,
        How are those hen of the woods?
        Are they brittle? Flexible? Soft?/???

Comment

Originally posted by supervman View Post
          Nice score.
          and YEah Same, Gunslinger.

Hey MEat,
          How are those hen of the woods?
          Are they brittle? Flexible? Soft?/???
          The HOTW shrooms are very flexible and soft. Like a potato cut about 1/8th thick, and ohhhhh soooo delicious. If you find them with mold growing on them, pass em by as they are starting to decay. Hmmm, mold with mold on it

Comment

I really hate you guys and your mushrooms.. The only ones here that I have seen ar growing out of cow crap... I can only imagine what that would do to me..
            Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Dang MH, killer score. I live in the burbs and have to buy mine, not fair...
              ---------------------------------------------------
              I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
              ---------------------------------------------------
              KCBS CBJ

Comment

Some of you asked last month when I posted the first batch what they look like when preparing them so the boy and I had a quick snack.

First off, the Chicken Mushroom. Here you see it in it's intact state.

Then you grab one of those fan like parts and tear it off.

Here is the Hen of the woods with a section removed.

On the Chicken shrooms, normally you would trim of the ends as most of the time, the further back you go from the end, the woodier it gets. This one I trimmed, but could have used the entire thing as it was still young and very moist.
                The Hen of the woods I just trim off the fan parts and saute them up.

All done. Fried up in butter, minced garlic and some green onion. The chicken mushroom gets it's name cuz it tastes like, well, Chicken. Actually, I think it taste more like a McNugget.
                The Hen of the woods dipped in an onion ring batter and deep fried are to die for

Deee-frikin-licious
                Last edited by Meat Hunter; 09-18-2010, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
                  I really hate you guys and your mushrooms.. The only ones here that I have seen ar growing out of cow crap... I can only imagine what that would do to me..
                  The ones here that grow outta cow crap either kill you straight away or make you see all kinds of colors and other stuff that isn't really there. We do get chantrelles and oysters growing outta downed oaks, but never wanted to hallucinate or die, bad enough to experiment with the others.
                  JT

Comment

Wow MH...Awesome Haul...may have to get a second log on name...how 'bout Cap'n Fungus or something like that?

Just kidding, I'm jealous cause I love shrooms. You and Meat Hunter Jr. had a killer snack!
                    BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
                    Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
                    I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

there seems to be fungus among us I got to get out to the deer stand and start searching
                      sigpicbrinkman pitmaster deluxe
                      members mark upright propane smoker
                      kingsford bbq
                      23"weber kettle

Comment

I'm really starting to dislike you. I spent 3 hours in the woods today. Not that that's a bad thing, but didn't find anything that resembled yours. Found all sorts of cool fungi, though. Maybe I need to try a different woods. I don't get it.
                        S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

GOSM Propane
                        New Braunfels Bandera
                        UniFlame Gas Grill
                        Lil Chief

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRay View Post
                          I'm really starting to dislike you. I spent 3 hours in the woods today. Not that that's a bad thing, but didn't find anything that resembled yours. Found all sorts of cool fungi, though. Maybe I need to try a different woods. I don't get it.
                          Don't fret, they will be out. We are getting a warm spell here in a couple days, your area as well. Into the 70's. They WILL be out. There are all sorts of edible ones out right now, not just the ones I picked. Got an area with thats loaded with Oaks? That seems to be the best for these guys.

Although I did find the Bears Tooth on a dead and downed Maple as with the Shaggy mane.

We have a huge Oak grove in our pasture, not a shroom in sight. The area where I found mine was somewhat lowland and damp with sporadic spots of heavy grass.

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRay View Post
                            same here Ray, although sounds like them chicken of the woods shroom are pretty much found only on oak.... my stand is almost entirely maple,but i guess someone has to say this so i will, if you cannot positively identify the mushroom dont eat it. and its not necessarily that the mushroom is "poison"... alot has to do with how the person eating reacts to them, even some people dont agree with morels, which we all know to be a good eater except for the false morel. also when trying a new wild mushroom do in moderation at the beginning... and then there is this old saying...

There are OLD mushroom hunters,
                            And there are BOLD mushroom hunters...
                            But there are no OLD BOLD mushroom hunters.

A good field guide is essential in identification.

by the way MH, nice haul!!!
                            Charbroil SFB
                            GOSM
                            MES
                            Dutch Ovens and other CI
                            Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
                            Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

There's several areas that have a good many oaks. We searched every oak dad an I know of in that woods. Some upright, some down. Nada.
                              S-M Misfit #16

GOSM Propane
                              New Braunfels Bandera
                              UniFlame Gas Grill
                              Lil Chief

Comment

Working...
                              X