My first UDS attempt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first UDS attempt

Found a couple barrels that were in decent shape, but hadt the tops cut off. I decided to buy a cheap big lots kettler grill for to use as lids. Unfortunately my barrels were the wrong size for the kettle grill top or bottom to fit without tweaking them.

Here's what I started with:

Then the basket:

Welding in the nipples:

Adding the shelf/remote valve control: Design borrowed from Smokin Tim

Almost done, except for final clean up and paint:
    Char-broil silver (with mods)
    38" Smoke Hollow LP
    ECB
    Drum

Very cool, very nice What's your first smoke on the new rig gonna be?
    https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

Hot Damn Daddy!...You done good! Bestest fuel efficient smokin machine ever!
      Sunset Eagle Aviation
      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Outstanding TIG work for sure Curious as to why the valve handle is going through the shelf

sigpic
        New Braunfels Bandera
        New Braunfels Hondo
        4-22.5" Weber Kettles
        1-26" Weber Kettle
        24"X72" Reverse Flow-Made in the U.S.A. by me
        Navy Corpsman-'69-'73 Semper Fi

https://www.facebook.com/highrollersbbq/

Comment

Originally posted by Mikey View Post
          Outstanding TIG work for sure Curious as to why the valve handle is going through the shelf
          Saves him a top bracket, and if drilled to the proper diameter, a nice low friction bearing :{)

Also keeps all "protrusions" on one side I suppose...
          oops... 'cept for that vent nipple... ah well.
          Nice drum NW!
          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I would of put the valve on the other side myself so as not to infringe on the shelf space, but thats just me. I see your paint was flyin, flaring out the lid like I did today to make it fit. Lookin good.

Comment

Looks like you're off to a good start.

I'd suggest moving your thermo down to where the probe is about an inch under the cook grate though. That way it won't be in the way when you put the cook grate in and it won't be in the way of the meat either.

Yes sometimes you need to put meat within 6" of the sides -- like if your doing 3 racks of ribs or a monster brisket.

Dave
              CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
              UDS 1.0
              Afterburner
              Weber Performer
              Blue Thermapen
              Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
              Thermoworks Chef Alarm
              Auber Smoker Controller
              Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
              -
              "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Thanks everyone.

Yep, I put the valve control through the shelf because I got lazy and didn't want to make another top bracket. Plus I kinda liked the idea. I have it so it turns toward the barrel and out 90 deg. so it uses up less shelf space. If I find myself wanting more space I may add another shelf to the other side.

Man that paint sure does fly off them kettle lids when you start 'tweakin' them. Felt like tiny little shards of glass flying off.

DDave, I did check to make sure I could get the rack in and out fairly easily. The thought with puting it there was getting an average between racks. But in reality, as we mentioned earlier I will only be using it as a reference in relation to digital readings in the center, so under the rack would have been fine.
                Last edited by Nowake; 09-19-2010, 08:02 PM.
                38" Smoke Hollow LP
                ECB
                Drum

Comment

Originally posted by SmokinLee View Post
                  I would of put the valve on the other side myself so as not to infringe on the shelf space.
                  That was the whole point of my question; why give up the shelf space for a valve handle
                  I agree with SmokinLee on that!
                  sigpic
                  New Braunfels Bandera
                  New Braunfels Hondo
                  4-22.5" Weber Kettles
                  1-26" Weber Kettle
                  24"X72" Reverse Flow-Made in the U.S.A. by me
                  Navy Corpsman-'69-'73 Semper Fi

https://www.facebook.com/highrollersbbq/

Comment

Nice build I think, looks good

Comment

Sweet build, welcome to the drum corp. Now get cooking!
                      sigpic

Comment

Great work man! Definately get points for jumpin right in with both feet and showing no fear. and well done!
                        JT

Comment

Nice work on the drum.....your going to like it alot!! I like the handle where it's at!! Conversation starter!

Doug
                          www.nopigleftbehind.com
                          -----------------------------

Comment

I still have the drum here at work, so yesterday I went to the store and grabbed a cheap bag of briquettes for a season / test burn. Worked beautiful. Temps were easy to maintain and iot reacted to the controls like I expected. Ran it up to 450 for a while and was able to get it tamed back down and cruise at 250 until the charcoal was done.

The guys here at the shop were begging for some meat so last night I rolled up a couple 3 pepper fatties, and brought in some lump. The lump definitely burned hotter and today is very windy so it took a little for tending than yesterdays test. Still worked like a dream though.

Here's the last fatty before it came out. I doubt if I will get any sliced pics because these guys are gonna be digging in.

38" Smoke Hollow LP
                            ECB
                            Drum

Comment

Oh and also, yes I do realize all that room for 2 small fatties was WAY overkill. lol
                              38" Smoke Hollow LP
                              ECB
                              Drum

Comment

Working...
                              X