WTF Happened to my Canadian Bacon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTF Happened to my Canadian Bacon?

I made Canadian Bacon a couple weeks ago and posted it like a good boy. I also made a peameal type because I was curious as to how it would taste cured and rolled in cornmeal, but not smoked. This one was cured at the same time, in the same vessel as another one that I did smoke. I took both loins out of the brine and soaked them for 2 hours, changing the water once. I smoked the one and rolled the other in cornmeal, wrapped and froze it. All the loins I smoked were fantastic. But this morning we took the peameal bacon out, cut off a couple slices, fried and tasted them. It was like eating nothing. No flavor whatsoever. I did salt and pepper a couple more slices and the salt seemed to bring out some of the other brine flavors.
    What I don't understand is why the smoked loins had the perfect amount of salt and seasoning and the one that got frozen for a couple of weeks tasted like it wasn't seasoned at all, not even with salt.
    Any ideas or insight?
    One more thing and this is addressed to the Canadians here. When is going to be ok to change the name from peameal bacon to cornmeal bacon?

Tom

Gunny, don't know what happened. I freeze Peameal all the time and it comes out very flavorful. Did you do your Peameal in a sweet pickle brine. Was your brine similar to this?

SWEET PICKLE BRINE

Basic Sweet Pickle Brine for One Gallon

1 Gallon of Water
    1 cup Kosher Salt
    1 cup Dark Brown sugar (Packed)
    3 Tablespoons Cure #1 (pink salt)

1 tbsp all spice
    1 tbsp juniper berries
    1 tbsp mustard seed
    1 tbsp whole coriander seed
    1 tbsp whole clove
    5 whole bay leaves

All of this into a large stock pot and bring to a boil to dissolve the salt and sugar. Allow to simmer for 10 minutes and chill. Place the cold brine (35-38°F) covered loin in refrigeration for 7 days just submerged in the brine is sufficient. Take them out, let them dry a bit, and then roll in fine Yellow corn meal for as much as they can take.

I hope this helps and no were not changing the name. "It is called Peameal bacon for a reason" Because of the pea...ah...oh...corn... ah hell we call it back bacon up here as well.... Ya happy now...
    ---------------------------------------------------
    I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    KCBS CBJ

Comment

Did you try the peameal one before freezing?
      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Uhhh....Sorry Gunny However I did save Zeek's brine recipe!
        Sunset Eagle Aviation
        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Originally posted by Slanted88 View Post

Ditto what Scott said...

Comment

Well Gunny,
            I don't know what to say about your peameal bacon, but as a Canadian I agree with Zeeker, it's back bacon. My cousins from Memphis came up one summer when I was in my early teens and they stayed with us for a week. Half way through the week they asked where was the Canadian bacon and I figured whatever bacon was made in Canada, was Canadian bacon. I told them they were eating it every breakfast. It wasn't until our parents got chatting that we found out they were looking for what I had always known as back bacon. Either way, it was good.
            Back on topic, Gunny, I hope you figure out your problems.
            Greg

*~*~*~*~*~*

King-Griller Akorn Kamado
            Louisiana Grills Pellet Smoker
            AMSPS & AMSTS

Comment

Originally posted by Beer-B-Q View Post
              Ditto what Scott said...

....Thats bill...Paul....

Comment

Originally posted by Zeeker View Post
                Gunny, don't know what happened. I freeze Peameal all the time and it comes out very flavorful. Did you do your Peameal in a sweet pickle brine. Was your brine similar to this?

SWEET PICKLE BRINE

Basic Sweet Pickle Brine for One Gallon

1 Gallon of Water
                1 cup Kosher Salt
                1 cup Dark Brown sugar (Packed)
                3 Tablespoons Cure #1 (pink salt)

1 tbsp all spice
                1 tbsp juniper berries
                1 tbsp mustard seed
                1 tbsp whole coriander seed
                1 tbsp whole clove
                5 whole bay leaves

All of this into a large stock pot and bring to a boil to dissolve the salt and sugar. Allow to simmer for 10 minutes and chill. Place the cold brine (35-38°F) covered loin in refrigeration for 7 days just submerged in the brine is sufficient. Take them out, let them dry a bit, and then roll in fine Yellow corn meal for as much as they can take.

I hope this helps and no were not changing the name. "It is called Peameal bacon for a reason" Because of the pea...ah...oh...corn... ah hell we call it back bacon up here as well.... Ya happy now...
                Now that's weird. That's the same exact recipe I use. And back bacon works for me. Peameal is just gross.

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                Did you try the peameal one before freezing?
                Nope. BUT, like I said I cured that one and another that got smoked, together and the seasoning in the smoked loin was spot on.

No problem Mike. I don't mind being your whore.

Originally posted by Beer-B-Q View Post
                Ditto what Scott said...
                Uhhhhhhhh, unless I sent his sourdough starter to the wrong guy, his name is Mike.

Originally posted by Grogger27 View Post
                Well Gunny,
                I don't know what to say about your peameal bacon, but as a Canadian I agree with Zeeker, it's back bacon. My cousins from Memphis came up one summer when I was in my early teens and they stayed with us for a week. Half way through the week they asked where was the Canadian bacon and I figured whatever bacon was made in Canada, was Canadian bacon. I told them they were eating it every breakfast. It wasn't until our parents got chatting that we found out they were looking for what I had always known as back bacon. Either way, it was good.
                Back on topic, Gunny, I hope you figure out your problems.
                That avatar pic is funny man. You look completely shit faced.

Originally posted by ALX View Post
                ....Thats bill...Paul....
                Actually, it's still Mike.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                  Nope. BUT, like I said I cured that one and another that got smoked, together and the seasoning in the smoked loin was spot on.
                  Reason I ask is the smoking, and consequent partial cooking perhaps had "set" the seasoning/flavors in the meat before freezing. As you know, freezing does affect the cellular structure of the meat, perhaps allowing more liquid/seasoning to leach out than the smoked hunks would have experienced.
                  In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                  Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                  Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                    Reason I ask is the smoking, and consequent partial cooking perhaps had "set" the seasoning/flavors in the meat before freezing. As you know, freezing does affect the cellular structure of the meat, perhaps allowing more liquid/seasoning to leach out than the smoked hunks would have experienced.
                    I was thinking the same thing about "setting" the flavors, but then where did they go in the non smoked loin. So much for the Food Saver locking in anything.

Tom

Comment

How much moisture came out on the thaw?...... Could some of the "flavor" have leached out with the water in the thaw?..... Maybe just a "weird" hunk of pork
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                        How much moisture came out on the thaw?...... Could some of the "flavor" have leached out with the water in the thaw?..... Maybe just a "weird" hunk of pork
                        It didn't seem to have been extra wet. All the corn meal stayed in place. You know what's really weird? I spray injected all of these loins.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                          It didn't seem to have been extra wet. All the corn meal stayed in place. You know what's really weird? I spray injected all of these loins.
                          Hmmmm......That is weird..... You lost any salty taste as well?
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                            Hmmmm......That is weird..... You lost any salty taste as well?
                            No salt taste whatsoever. I salted each slice lightly and it was good, but I HAD to add salt.

Tom

Comment

Me too!
                              Mark
                              sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                              Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Working...
                              X