Citrus Smoked Salmon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Citrus Smoked Salmon

I went Charter fishin out of Westport this last saturday on a combo trip. limited out on Yellowtail Rock fish & Salmon. one of each 15 lb coho and a 22 lb king. Got home, filleted them up and soaked them over night in a citrus brine. Yesterday I fired up my 'BANDERA' and smoked em up for 9 hours @ 180* . what the wife and I didn't eat last night I Vacuum sealed today .
    heres the recipe:

2 Salmon fillets from a silver or King salmon. double the recipe if you were lucky enough to catch 2 . I live in Washington state and regularly fish for Salmon, Sturgeon and Steelhead. My wife will only eat salmon if it is citrusy ,so i modified my old recipe and this is what i came up with . This brine is also good with Red Snapper, Yellow Tail, Ling Cod and most other rock fish caught off the coast

Dry ingredients:
    1 C. Brown Sugar
    1 C. White Sugar
    1 C. Kosher Salt
    2 TBS. Lemon Pepper
    2 TBS. McCormicks 'It's a Dilly' ( hard to find -they dont make it any more but Mrs. Dash will work )
    1 TBS. Crushed Red Pepper
    1 tsp. rosemary
    2 bay leaves

wet ingredients:
    1 Gallon Water or White Wine
    2. TBS crushed Garlic
    4. TBS E.V,O,O. (Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
    2. TBS.Apple Cider Vinegar
    juice,pulp and rind of
    3 Lemons
    2 Oranges
    1 Lime
    1 Onion
    4 dashes of 'Tabasco' or 'Franks Red Hot' sauce

Prep:
    Cut Salmon Fillets into 3 or 4 inch pieces set in fridge .
    Put dry ingredients in a bowl and mix well

Put White Wine/Water, Apple Cider Vinegar, E.V,O,O In a coated metal ( roasting pan) or non metallic container (large glass bowl). I use a 4 gallon enamel coated canning pot.
    Add chopped Onion, Tabasco and Garlic.
    Cut fruit in half . Using a fork ,squeeze and work most of the pulp out , then cut the rinds into chunks.

Add dry ingredients and mix for 2 to 3 minutes or until dissolved.

Add salmon chunks to brine and put the container into the fridge. ( I put mine in an ice chest, with the bottom filled with ice ) let the Salmon soak for 18 to 24 hours.
    After they have been in the pool long enough, take Salmon out of the fridge, lay them skin side down and pat dry with a paper towel (DO NOT RINSE!) . You can add additional brown sugar to them @ this time. Let them air dry for 2 hours until they have a nice glossy sticky coating .

Smoke:
    I have a Brinkman charcoal smoker and a NB 'Bandera' with a vertical smoke vault and an off set fire boix, I have modified both smokers so i get even temps and longer smoke times .
    I have found it best to smoke the fish on the top 3 shelves of the Bandera sense they are nearest the smoke stack the temp ranges from 165* to 185*.
    Place hardwood briquette's in fire box using the 'Minion Method' then add your 'Alder Wood Chunks'. I put mine in an old 10 inch cast iron pot with holes in the lid.

smoke @ 165 for 5 to 8 hours depending on how you like your smoke.
    Attached Files
    'I smoke there for I am'
    Modified NB 'Bandera', Brinkman ECB, 30 Gal Trash can cold smoker and two 55 gal soon to be UDS's

Man...Fish looks real good! Appreciate the recipes! Louie's been wanting some smoked Mullet...so I may be on for it this weekend...
    Sunset Eagle Aviation
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Very Nice Dawg!!!! Living here has its benefits eh?.... I see the Silvers have grown a bit since I was out a while back. Nice Catch!
      sigpic

Comment

Nice...I can tell ya like it heavy smoked. I can go both ways. Lotta citrus in that... you don't have trouble with "mushing" the meat?

And no folks...I did NOT take those pix

( Old joke around here, Dawg...)
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Nice job, I have 3 Sockeyes (8 - 15 lbs) in my fridge waiting to take a "swim" before they hit the smoke. That citrus brine sounds like just the ticket for one of them ......
          Ron

Weber Smokey Mountain
          GOSM x 2
          Vermont Casting Grill
          Black Thermapen (only color available in these parts)

Comment

Very nicely done and thanks for recipe...

Comment

Working...
            X