Sourdough Experiment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sourdough Experiment

After hearing of Todd's refridgerator proofing method, I had to give it a try. I love sourdough... hate the time it takes to go from start to finish. This should let me bake more on my schedule!

I'm also testing out some froze sourdough rolls and a loaf. Never tried this, but if you can buy it a Wally World, surely it can't be that hard!

Everything proofed once

Tonight's loaves in the fridge

Test batch on a cookie sheet headed to the freezer.

I'll give these a couple of days, then post the results. I'm sure others out there have done this so please give me some feed back. I had planned on taking them out, placing them in a pan, then let them sit out and thaw/proof overnight/all day, then bake.

Thanks for checking out my test post.
    Tracey

I'm glad you're testing that out. I've been too lazy to make bread in months. Keep the pics coming.
    sigpic
    Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Hope it turns out man....That could make it much more convenient etc...

Comment

Originally posted by WALLE View Post
        After hearing of Todd's refridgerator proofing method, I had to give it a try. I love sourdough... hate the time it takes to go from start to finish. This should let me bake more on my schedule!
        My grandmother would freeze several loaves like you are doing. Always turned out great. She would do the initial rise, punch em down and shape into loaf size and freeze.

Originally posted by Bassman View Post
        I've been too lazy to make bread in months. Keep the pics coming.
        WHAT??? Too lazy? Whats wrong with you
        I am eating some Warm SD as we speak, er type I mean with some venison, wild mushroom and barley soup. MMMmmm mmm.
        https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

Been burpin & feedin mine... W... plan on doin something tomorrow! This can change things up a whole lot!
          Sunset Eagle Aviation
          https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Originally posted by Meat Hunter View Post
            My grandmother would freeze several loaves like you are doing. Always turned out great. She would do the initial rise, punch em down and shape into loaf size and freeze.

WHAT??? Too lazy? Whats wrong with you
            I am eating some Warm SD as we speak, er type I mean with some venison, wild mushroom and barley soup. MMMmmm mmm.
            Wish I had some! Damn lazy ass!!
            sigpic
            Smoke Vault 24

Comment

COOL! That's the way I did it. When we eat this up, I'm going to try it.

Okay... so here are the results.
              Initially, I was a little disappointed with the loaf height... (alright ladies, if there's not a comment on that, I WILL be disappointed ). They did rise, but not nearly as much as the regular method. Either way, they more than doubled in size, so maybe more dough .

With a heavy heart, I sliced into a loaf, and MAN not a night and day difference in the "sour", but it definitely increased. I think I, and the Mrs's, were more impressed by the over all texture and taste. Hard to describe, but it just had a deeper, lighter, better taste. I will definitely try this again.

Overall proof in the fridge, after an initial proof and punch down - 12 hours.

Maybe I'll let it go overnight and see what that does next time.

Here you go.

In the fridge

Outta the fridge

Outta the pan, with the pan for comparison on height.

Sliced and buttered

I'll be back in a day or two with the results of the frozen dough.

thanks,
              Tracey

Comment

Originally posted by Bassman View Post
                I'm glad you're testing that out. I've been too lazy to make bread in months. Keep the pics coming.
                it aint lazy... its "busy"!!!!

as always nice lookin SD Tracey!!!
                Charbroil SFB
                GOSM
                MES
                Dutch Ovens and other CI
                Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
                Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by erain View Post
                  it aint lazy... its "busy"!!!!
                  That's my story too.

Tom

Comment

Hey Walle, sorry you did not get the results you hoped for as far as rise height. I had mine in the fridge for close to 24 hours. The dough rose to about 1/2" above the rim of the bread pan. I then let it sit out covered with a damp cloth for a bit to come up to room temp. Dough was maybe an inch above the pan edge with they went into the oven. Rose a bit more with the initial heat. It's a slow process for sure. Try it again and give yourself some more time
                    https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

Man you guy got me wanting to get the sourdough starter out of the fridge and into some dough - gotta go to a dang goin away party today though - one our our young friends is shipping out to Jabutti - she is a doctor in the Navy and will be there for nearly a year
                      Scarbelly

Comment

Hey Walle, sorry you did not get the results you hoped for as far as rise height. I had mine in the fridge for close to 24 hours. The dough rose to about 1/2" above the rim of the bread pan. I then let it sit out covered with a damp cloth for a bit to come up to room temp. Dough was maybe an inch above the pan edge with they went into the oven. Rose a bit more with the initial heat. It's a slow process for sure. Try it again and give yourself some more time

Yeah, MH, I will... on thing the good Lord did not give me was patience!!

Here are the results of my frozen dough.... wish I had read this post before I started ah well, for what I lack in patience, I make up for in pure D stubornness!

Frozen sourdough that has been in the freezer since 9/25.
                        Took it out and panned it last night about 8:00 and let it set on the counter over night. Almost put it in the fridge... then the thought of fresh bread for breakfast overcame me

This is what it looked like this morning. So.. considering the fact that I should have let it proof probably another 12 hours in the fridge... the o'l BM#1 did pretty good, the baker just farked it up!

This is what it looked like baked

So actually, not much difference between the fresh batch that this came from...
                        Ruling out the plausible possibility that I just jacked up another batch of sourdough..., the next time I try it, I'll give it more time.

Notes to self:
                        Refigerating the dough does add an entire new level to both the "sour" taste and texture to BM#1. I will do this again.
                        Will freezing dough work - YES! I will do this again.
                        Give it more time to proof - both in the fridge and when thawing and proofing... I will do this..
                        DON'T JACK UP YOUR NEXT BATCH!!!! Oh Lord I will try not to do this again!

Thanks for checking out my post. Hopefully my trials will help some of you.
                        Tracey
                        Last edited by WALLE; 09-30-2010, 07:16 AM.

Comment

That looks good, Tracey. I also see in the background that you have a loaf of Orroweat store bought just in case.
                          sigpic
                          Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Working...
                          X