First Batch of Dried Peppers and Garlic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Batch of Dried Peppers and Garlic

After all this talk about one's own chili powder, I'm jumping in with both feet.

I've got a mix of three peppers, all in various stages of maturity... I like the taste of all of them at these stages, so my plan is to grind them together along with some dried garlic. I'm also going to try and replicate the smoked Jalapeno Salt that Bassman gave me, so I smoked some kosher salt along with the peppers.

Here goes:

What we started with

Pepper and garlic carnage

In the smoker - there is a plate of salt hiding back on the top rack. Cold smoked for 2 hours with hickory

Stacking'em up

Ended up with five trays of jalapeno's, 4 1/2 of mixed anaheim and poblano, 1/2 of garlic. Drying gently at 125* since ~ 6:00 last night. I'm hoping that they will be ready to go when I get home.

Thanks for all the help from threads on drying peppers and from Alex and Gunny - much appreciated.

Tracey

Nice stuff! A word of caution from Bro-in-law Smitty- CAREFUL where ya grind them... expect some pepper dust in the air. He had to evac his house a couple times ;{)
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Been there and done that ONCE. I wear a mask now. But ya know, The other day I cleaned a bunch of Hab's. for drying. when I brought the knife in to wash it, the fumes rising in the steam had me coughing and had to walk away for a minute.. Now I need to figure out what to do with these, I had quite a few and ended up with only 1 ounce dried.

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
      Nice stuff! A word of caution from Bro-in-law Smitty- CAREFUL where ya grind them... expect some pepper dust in the air. He had to evac his house a couple times ;{)

Comment

Originally posted by WALLE View Post
        After all this talk about one's own chili powder, I'm jumping in with both feet.

I've got a mix of three peppers, all in various stages of maturity... I like the taste of all of them at these stages, so my plan is to grind them together along with some dried garlic. I'm also going to try and replicate the smoked Jalapeno Salt that Bassman gave me, so I smoked some kosher salt along with the peppers.

Here goes:

What we started with

Pepper and garlic carnage

In the smoker - there is a plate of salt hiding back on the top rack. Cold smoked for 2 hours with hickory

Stacking'em up

Ended up with five trays of jalapeno's, 4 1/2 of mixed anaheim and poblano, 1/2 of garlic. Drying gently at 125* since ~ 6:00 last night. I'm hoping that they will be ready to go when I get home.

Thanks for all the help from threads on drying peppers and from Alex and Gunny - much appreciated.

Tracey

“Fairy tales don't teach children that monsters exist. Children already know that monsters exist.
        Fairy tales teach children that monsters can be killed.”
        - G. K. Chesterton

Char Griller 7474(w/SFB), UDS, WSJ Mini-drum conversion, MES 30

Comment

Very Cool Tracey!.... Keep us posted on your progress!
          sigpic

Comment

Great job, Tracey! My nose is burning just from looking at the pictures.
            Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
            Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
            1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
            Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
            Weber Smokey Joe
            Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
            Pink Thermapen
            Purple Thermapen

Comment

Way to jump in tracey....I do my hotter peppers in garage as they can gas a little,but the smell is incredible.....

No doubt every process is different and when you find the way you like...Look out...

When i used those style dehydrators i would rotate the top and bottom etc.if bottom near fan was drying quicker....

You will also notice when you grind if they are not dry enough....They will clump etc..alot...No biggie...Just dry some more...Only so much moisture in them and at low temps they will not cook etc...

Let us know how garlic dries that way...I usually split in half and take core out and then slice in squares and freeze till needed....
              Last edited by ALX; 09-27-2010, 02:47 PM.

Comment

Thanks everyone.
                Here are the anaheims and poblanos which were ready to go when I got home last night. I can't count... I had six trays of each instead of five...
                some serious shrinkage on this project, but ended up with more that I thought - a good gallon zip lock full of dried peppers. Will be interested to see what they grind down to.

Japs and garlic still going. I was surprised at the drying difference between the two. Overall, they appeared to have the same wall thickness, I guess the jap is a lot denser?

On the garlic, yeah.... I should have chopped or quartered it. Ended up taking a knife to the larger pieces last night. Never even thought about them ahhh well

Both have a real good flavor. Can't wait to get the blender out out and start making some dust outta them.

I've already been banned from the kitchen on this project... probably a good thing.

Thanks for checking out my post. I'm hopeful that by the time I get home tonight, they will all be ready to go.

Comment

Wow those look awesome - cant wait to see the results
                  Scarbelly

Comment

Looks like you'll have some fine chili fixin's there. I just want to be up wind from you when you start blending.
                    sigpic
                    Smoke Vault 24

Comment

My red jap chipotles take 36 hours to dehydrate after smoking sometimes tracey....I do grow large ones,but they are thicker walled....

You will definetly find it takes alot of peppers to get a decent amount of powder....Especially things like paprika....

When i roast and dehydrate my NuMex green chiles(relleno type etc.) it is usually 10 pounds fresh picked to get maybe 1 pound pure powder....

Comment

interested to know how smokey they seem after the drying.

I've smoked and dried chillis this year and come to the conclusion that it's much better to smoke them AFTER they've been dried. I definitely lost most of the smoke flavour when i did it the other way round.
                        Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                        Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Those look great

I don't know if it was ever mentioned but here's something that will help with dehydrating them evenly. You have a lot of trays there, I only use 4 at a time but this will still help.

If at all possible, rotate the trays every 2 hours. Take the bottom 2-3 trays and put them on top. With 4 trays, I move them by ones. If you have the time to babysit them, this helps greatly in getting all the pappers done at roughly the same time.
                          Pete
                          Large BGE
                          Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

Comment

Nice load of pepps there...I have barely begun this year...man I love the smell of drying peppers...Ill bet the garlic puts off an aroma that can be smelled for miles
                            Craig
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
                              Ill bet the garlic puts off an aroma that can be smelled for miles
                              Yes it does....I did 12 trays in 2 dehydrators a few months back.....Garden garlic,onion,shallots and leeks....

I could smell it from basement out at mailbox....Alaways a great smell to me...

Comment

Working...
                              X