Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Que By The Sea, Seaside Heights, NJ - WE'RE BACK w/PIX!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Que By The Sea, Seaside Heights, NJ - WE'RE BACK w/PIX!

We checked in around 9:30 Saturday morning, and had camp set up in an hour... a record for us! After a well-deserved adult beverage or two, I started prepping the meats. I must admit, I have not been the injecting kinda guy, butt that has all changed... what a difference in tenderness and flavor! I made up three different marinade/injection sauces at home for the brisket, chicken, and pork butts. All I can say is, do it if you haven't done it in the past!

Evening rolled around, so I fired up one of the Weber kettles to cook up some chicken for supper. I needed to try out the new marinade to see if it was worthy of using for turn-in the next day... it was.

I started cooking around 11:30pm, putting the butts in the WSM. God, I love that thing! She just cruised all night long at 236... what a sweet piece of machinery! The only issue I had with it was a spike in the temperature, which ended up being an empty water pan... oops. Gotta remember to keep my eye on that. I put the briskets on shortly after the butts... they were only around 8 pounds each and not full packers, so they were not going to be marathon cooks. They actually were done before the butts were.

I managed to squeeze in a few hours of sleep... and actually overslept, due to me not correctly setting up the alarm on my cell phone. I overslept by about 45 minutes... shit! I gotta get the ribs on! I got 'em on, and finally, two of the racks finished in time.

I started the chicken at 11:00am... I do my chicken on a Weber kettle, using the offset coals method. I cooked the mid-section of some nice wings, they were done in plenty of time to turn in.

We had built all the boxes ahead of time and stored them in a cooler. I was preparing to put the last box together, had something sitting in the lid to weight it down while I reached for the brisket slices, when POOF!... a gust of wind lifted the bottom of the box and all the parsley went flying everywhere. We only had about 3 minutes to repair it. What a friggin' mess! Oh well...

I didn't do a great job on the boxes... but they were presentable. Here are a few pix of the turn in boxes:

Still no walk... disappointing as all hell, but we managed 22nd overall out of 47 teams. I really felt we had a chance of at least one walk... evidently I was wrong. Judges scores were inconsistant as hell, such as in pork, I got a 9 9 8 from judge 2, and a 7 5 5 from judge 3... WTF?

Thanks for looking!
    Last edited by HawgHeaven; 09-27-2010, 12:39 PM.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Nice work Pop-Pop!..... It all looks really good from here ..... You will be walking soon, I'm sure of it.
    sigpic

Comment

All looks great to me Pop Pop. Damn fine Q and pics. Judge 3 was on glue. Congrats on a great weekend...
      ---------------------------------------------------
      I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
      ---------------------------------------------------
      KCBS CBJ

Comment

I see they haven't released the scores or placement yet online. Looks like they paid real nice to ten places.
        I have some advice for you and will send you a PM.
        Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Captain-N-Smoke BBQ Team(retired)

Comment

Way to go Pop Pop! The food looks really, really good. Those ribs in fact are trying to climb out of me monitor and jump in me mouth!!
          Boxes look good from here buddy. With great work like that, you'll be walking in no time.

"Judges scores were inconsistant as hell, such as in pork, I got a 9 9 8 from judge 2, and a 7 5 5 from judge 3... WTF?"

This is was our discovery as well, at our last comp.
          Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
          Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

Glad the WSM is working Phil...I prolly forgot to mention about the water dropping and temp spikes etc....I pretty much run mine dry these days...

That was a tough field and HawgHeaven is on the way up for sure...I know we are looking forward to a winter of experimentation after these lasst 3 big comps....I need to refine my whole hog for a comp schedule.and we want to play with making new sauces....

I hear you on scores sometimes...Our last comp was only 50% CBJ.....a 30 minute quick instruction aint much..
            Last edited by ALX; 09-28-2010, 10:54 AM.

Comment

I don't care what the judges said, I'd much any of that!
              sigpic
              Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Thanks everyone! We'll get 'em next year!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Nice looking Q Pop Pop, great job on presentation. Sounds like some of the judges where having some adult beverages before the judging.
                  sigpic

Char-Griller Outlaw w-SFB & (mods)
                  30" Masterbuilt Electric Smokehouse

Comment

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
                    Judges scores were inconsistant as hell, such as in pork, I got a 9 9 8 from judge 2, and a 7 5 5 from judge 3... WTF?
                    Ain't that just a bitch, Hawg? Drive a cooker nuts, I swear!

Ah well... looks good from here, man!
                    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I too don't care what the judges said I think that you had some mighty fine looking Q. In my book you have a trophy coming.
                      sigpic
                      My Equipment:
                      Smoke Vault 24"
                      Gosm Small for bacon & sausage
                      New Braunfel "Bandera"
                      Markers mark 48" SS grill
                      Brinkmen 48" SS grill
                      One cool Outdoor Kitchen built by Me Mark

Comment

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
                        Thanks everyone! We'll get 'em next year!
                        I dont do any comps and dont plan too either... but for those that do i would say your quote says it all!!!

personally i wouldnt pass up on any of that stuff you showed... great job Phil and thanks for sharing your entries.
                        Charbroil SFB
                        GOSM
                        MES
                        Dutch Ovens and other CI
                        Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
                        Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Beautiful turn in boxes, Phil! And yes, you will get them next year!
                          Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
                          Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
                          1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
                          Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
                          Weber Smokey Joe
                          Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
                          Pink Thermapen
                          Purple Thermapen

Comment

Thanks again everyone!

Yes, I hope we have enough ammo to go get 'em next year. We're making some big changes in the team, by adding another team member... my wife Joni. She has incredible artistic talent and food presentation skills, and I know she can nail those turn in boxes. Up till now, she has not joined us because she is not a camping type person... doesn't like sleeping in a tent (or under a canopy).

Which brings on the next big change... we're looking for an affordable class C motorhome. Nothing huge, maybe 24 foot or so, used, but in good shape. I've found a few around the area that will fit the bill, so we'll see where that goes. Gotta work some things out first.

We are really excited about next season, especially if we can pull off the changes. We've got the winter to get it together, practice building boxes, and tweak our flavor profiles. Oh, and find a great butcher... I feel better about competing now that we're making these changes, and I cannot tell you how happy I am with my wife coming on board.

Stay tuned...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

You are a lucky Man, Phil. I wish my wife would want to join me cooking more often. There are lots of husband wife teams that do a great job.
                              I am happy for both of you.

Keep going forward!
                              Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Captain-N-Smoke BBQ Team(retired)

Comment

Working...
                              X