No announcement yet.

A peek at a wood fired weekend, in the middle of the So. Cal. desert location,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A peek at a wood fired weekend, in the middle of the So. Cal. desert location,

with triple digit heat and a plethora of pizzas and more...
    WHEW! sAY tHaT FivE TimeS FasT kELLy'S fAmIlY anD MiNe gOt tOgEtHeR ThIs wEekEnD aNd pUt sOMe fIrE iN tHAt wFo. hAd a bLaSt tRyInG SOmE NeW DiSHeS UsInG ThE ReSiDuAl HeAt StoRed in thE THeRMaL MAsS,oF ThE OveN, ThE NeXt dAy...

This message was brought to you by the following!

3 hr fire in the pizza oven, before any food touches the hearth. With temps peaking at 750°...let the fun begin!! Saturday night.

With

pizzas

the sky

is the limit!! Anything goes!!

Chicken tostada pizza!! Crumbled Halloween corn chips, black chili salsa, marinara, chicken, olive, onions and bell peppers. Another fabulous creation, from Kelly!! A new house favorite.

Pastrami pizza. Looks kinda strange, but the outcome is amazing! Pizza dough, mustard,marinara,pastrami,pickles and onions. 2 minutes in the oven and its done. (finished pic is not included)

Again Kelly comes through, with an awesome idea!! Wood fired frittata. I'll bring the equipment and the operation to the table. Kelly brings the Kick Ass ideas to the table! Sunday morning 9 am.

Eggs scrambled, in a stripped fashion follows, steak,pastrami,grilled chicken,wine poached/grilled brat slices and onion and bell peppers through out.

With the stored heat, from the pizza fire, Saturday night. The thermal mass of the oven is holding 275°, no fire.

About an hour and a half later. Cooked this dish with the oven door in place.

Served, with black chili salsa, over the top. Mmmm! This was a huge hit with the children folk too!

Next! Apples cored and filled with butter,cinnamon and sugar. Nectarines halved and pitted. This picture may be confusing in relation to the others. There is no live fire in this photo. Just a log. After further evaluation, in the 11 o'clock hour, the stored heat temp was on the decline. I reached over the top of the fruit and lit the log with my map gas torch. Most likely, because of the got ambient air temp in the oven, the log lit immediately. needing to kick the heat up a notch.

my lovely, lovely wife Billie. She has always got my back! We thoroughly enjoy our WFO.

An hour later. Done to a softness with a light crunch in the apples. The apple is not leaking. It rolled over and spilled some of its contents. Damn it!

Cut in half, then wedged and served.

The End

Thank you for checking out our weekend fun!
    Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

sigpic

I'm friggin speechless Big Shamrock Daddy! Just fantastic!
    Sunset Eagle Aviation
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Wow! That frittata and Halloween pizza rock!!! Looks like a great time with good friends and awesome food!
      Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
      Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
      1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
      Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
      Weber Smokey Joe
      Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
      Pink Thermapen
      Purple Thermapen

Comment

Awesome display....That WFO is gonna be getting some workouts ryan...You all rock.....

MAJOR POINTAGE
        Last edited by ALX; 09-27-2010, 04:19 PM.

Comment

You'all got me drooling all over the place again! Excellent pizzas. If my wife and I were there, you'd have to keep that oven burning for a week straight!
          sigpic
          Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Dang Ryan as hot as it was here (108 on the patio) I can only imagine what is was like out there -
            So where the heck was Kelly with all the brilliant ideas when I was cooking on the wok in the heat LOL
            Great pics and tell Billie Hi for us
            Scarbelly

Comment

That is just beautiful. I don't have any drool left Bud. Nothing better than that. Kudos...
              ---------------------------------------------------
              I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
              ---------------------------------------------------
              KCBS CBJ

Comment

Yep if I lived in the desert I would probably keep a fire burnin too Especially if I could eat like that...

Say hi to Kelly for us and you take good care of that wife of yours...She sounds like a keeper
                Craig
                sigpic

Comment

Ryan I'm not typically an envious person, but I sure hate you and that damn oven. Dude, you suck. Hey, can I stay with you if I ever vacation your way.
                  I think I got some around here somewhere. Looks like a great time and awesome eats.

Tom

Comment

AhhHA! NOW we know why it's been so hot out there, you and that damned 750° oven alla time cookin' and cookin' and... LOL! Nice!
                    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Dang, all those look AWESOME!!

Definitely worthy but that damn 24 hour thing got me right now.

I imagine the WFO was holding the heat pretty well with a little help from Mr. Sun this weekend. Hopefully autumn will come soon.

Dave
                      CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                      UDS 1.0
                      Afterburner
                      Weber Performer
                      Blue Thermapen
                      Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                      Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                      Auber Smoker Controller
                      Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                      -
                      "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

I am here to tell you all... if you got the room... faken build that oven!
                        My brother, is a history buff to say the least. He loves it. When it comes to the oven, errr the "traditional oven" he did his homework. He also weaves incredible stories, he had me fully engulfed in the story behind the oven. I was in a village in Italy, a Sat night in the town square with all of the neighbors cooking..then up early to bake my bread in the oven with the residual heat from the night before. Interesting each home had their own twist or pattern on their bread so it did not get mixed with any other families from town. Ryan and Billie, are all about family, I am blessed to be a part of that. We make the most incredible memories built around family food. With this fast paced environment we are all in, it is a welcome mini vacation for my soul. Take the time to learn a bit about the history, the origins of our art, its just amazing. All the bbq shows on the planet lack that, unfortunately. Fortunately there are plenty of people here who still pass on the art.. the art of many, many things, to you all I am very grateful. Did you all know Eraine's crocks for his kraut were his grandmothers? I know many of you have cool things like that, and we have all been privileged to share your stories. Keep 'em coming!
                        I know that when Ry and I are long gone, our children are gonna talk about that WFO and the time we spent around it.
                        Thank you Tighe family! See you soon! MUAH!

On edit.. I see my weather vane.... its lying.. I just came in from outside and its 105* still...
                        Last edited by Bbqgoddess; 09-27-2010, 11:17 PM. Reason: lying weather report...

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Originally posted by Bbqgoddess View Post
                          I am here to tell you all... if you got the room... faken build that oven!
                          My brother, is a history buff to say the least. He loves it. When it comes to the oven, errr the "traditional oven" he did his homework. He also weaves incredible stories, he had me fully engulfed in the story behind the oven. I was in a village in Italy, a Sat night in the town square with all of the neighbors cooking..then up early to bake my bread in the oven with the residual heat from the night before. Interesting each home had their own twist or pattern on their bread so it did not get mixed with any other families from town. Ryan and Billie, are all about family, I am blessed to be a part of that. We make the most incredible memories built around family food. With this fast paced environment we are all in, it is a welcome mini vacation for my soul. Take the time to learn a bit about the history, the origins of our art, its just amazing. All the bbq shows on the planet lack that, unfortunately. Fortunately there are plenty of people here who still pass on the art.. the art of many, many things, to you all I am very grateful. Did you all know Eraine's crocks for his kraut were his grandmothers? I know many of you have cool things like that, and we have all been privileged to share your stories. Keep 'em coming!
                          I know that when Ry and I are long gone, our children are gonna talk about that WFO and the time we spent around it.
                          Thank you Tighe family! See you soon! MUAH!

On edit.. I see my weather vane.... its lying.. I just came in from outside and its 105* still...
                          I was gonna just quote a part of it..... but really...... it's all relevant...... And the kids remembering it?....... Totally can see that also..... I'm just really jealous I have not been able to join them yet....... Someday!

Ryan & Kelly for sharing it with us....

OH, and in case I forgot..... I really want a wood fired pizza oven!
                          sigpic

Comment

Me too. Great lookin food. I have plans for one of these type ovens on my old computer, hmm wonder if will start.

Comment

Hopefully autumn will come soon.
                              so this is YOUR fault !

Not a great pic - but it's rain falling in a puddle lol

Dark, dingy and been raining all bloody day - apparently it's just going to get worse over the weekend.

Man I could use a wood fired oven !

Just a great post, glad you're getting so much pleasure from the wfo - it was a real labour of love when you built it.

But could you all just stop wingeing about having hot sunny weather, I'll swap for a bit if you like
                              Attached Files
                              Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                              Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Working...
                              X