VWR Thermometer Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VWR Thermometer Review

DangerDan posted about a pen type thermo, so I took one for the team and ordered it. Here's a direct link to it:

http://www.extechstore.com/extech-39272.aspx

It arrived today. Soon as I saw how thick the probe was, the excitment was gone. Knew this was a crap shoot. What the heck, let's test it out. Threw a kettle of water on to boil. While that was heating, grabbed a glass. Filled it with ice and a little water. The screen reads in 000.0 and it turns on immediately upon flipping out the probe. It does read in C. You have to hit a button for F. Not a big deal. It gave me a room temp instantly. Ok, that's a good sign. Stuck it in the ice water. In two screen flashes it was at 40, then took it's time down to 34 degrees. Great.....off 2 degrees and no better or faster than the others.

But wait......

The water was now boiling. In just the distance from the counter to the stove it was at 50. Stuck it in the boiling water. In four screen flashes it was at 210. Off two degrees, but four seconds tops. Did it several times. It's no Thermapen, but faster than anything I already own. Not a bad thermo, just not a great thermo.

Think I'll give it to my son when I get a Thermapen. He'll need it for the new smoker I got him today.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by RowdyRay; 09-27-2010, 09:55 PM.
    S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
    CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
    New Braunfels Bandera
    UniFlame Gas Grill
    Lil Chief

Sorry it didn't meet your expectations, but hey crap occurs. How about a pic of the smoker you got for your son
    sigpic
    New Braunfels Bandera
    New Braunfels Hondo
    4-22.5" Weber Kettles
    1-26" Weber Kettle
    24"X72" Reverse Flow-Made in the U.S.A. by me
    Navy Corpsman-'69-'73 Semper Fi

https://www.facebook.com/highrollersbbq/

Comment

Originally posted by Mikey View Post
      Sorry it didn't meet your expectations, but hey crap occurs. How about a pic of the smoker you got for your son
      I was actually expecting worse. It's still better than anything Taylor makes.

Pics of the smoker coming......
      S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

GOSM Propane
      New Braunfels Bandera
      UniFlame Gas Grill
      Lil Chief

Comment

Bummer about the thermo, Ray.

But for taking one for the team.

Plus, it's not all bad. Depending on what you're cooking it probably doesn't matter if the probe is big or it's not as fast as a Thermapen. Would probably work fine for chicken or if you foil butts or briskets, probably fine for deciding when to foil.

Dave
        CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
        UDS 1.0
        Afterburner
        Weber Performer
        Blue Thermapen
        Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
        Thermoworks Chef Alarm
        Auber Smoker Controller
        Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
        -
        "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Thanks for filling us in R/R, can it be calibrated?
          sigpic

Comment

Sounds like its pretty good then, what is 2 degrees really gonna hurt? were not pro chefs here i would be ok with that plus you can just remember which way its off and adjust that way.

Comment

Originally posted by DDave View Post
              Bummer about the thermo, Ray.

But for taking one for the team.

Plus, it's not all bad. Depending on what you're cooking it probably doesn't matter if the probe is big or it's not as fast as a Thermapen. Would probably work fine for chicken or if you foil butts or briskets, probably fine for deciding when to foil.

Dave
              Thanks for the points. Glad to do it. I'm not bummed. Love my Mavericks. Dead on. Butt.... stick that probe in after 4 hours of smoking.... takes almost a minute before you get a final temp.

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
              Thanks for filling us in R/R, can it be calibrated?
              Not that I can see so far. Maybe if I send it in. Plan to call and find out.

Originally posted by Pandemonium View Post
              Sounds like its pretty good then, what is 2 degrees really gonna hurt? were not pro chefs here i would be ok with that plus you can just remember which way its off and adjust that way.
              Exactly. Have no plans for comps. For most of us backyard bbq'rs it'll be fine.
              S-M Misfit #16

GOSM Propane
              New Braunfels Bandera
              UniFlame Gas Grill
              Lil Chief

Comment

Great review. Thanks for taking one for the team.
                “Fairy tales don't teach children that monsters exist. Children already know that monsters exist.
                Fairy tales teach children that monsters can be killed.”
                - G. K. Chesterton

Char Griller 7474(w/SFB), UDS, WSJ Mini-drum conversion, MES 30

Comment

I just Googled the altitude of Vadnais Hts. MN. Google says 896 feet and according to this site, water boils at 210°. So it looks like it's pretty accurate at the high end.

Dave
                  CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                  UDS 1.0
                  Afterburner
                  Weber Performer
                  Blue Thermapen
                  Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                  Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                  Auber Smoker Controller
                  Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                  -
                  "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

I just Googled the altitude of Vadnais Hts. MN. Google says 896 feet and according to this site, water boils at 210°. So it looks like it's pretty accurate at the high end.

Dave
                    Really? Every time I've tried those it says 212. I'll look into it some more.
                    S-M Misfit #16

GOSM Propane
                    New Braunfels Bandera
                    UniFlame Gas Grill
                    Lil Chief

Comment

Dave
                      Great Observation Their Dave!!!!!
                      (Somebody has their thinking cap on today.... and it ain't me..... )
                      sigpic

Comment

Ray have you been using the thermo? Hows it holding up?

Comment

I've only used it once since testing it. Some chicken on the grill. Worked just fine. It does have a "hold" button. If you press that it remembers that temp. Then you don't start over from 50 degree outside temps. Thought that was cool. I'll post more on that soon.

Been so busy I won't have time to give it a good workout until after hunting is over. More smoked venison and another sausage fest. I'll keep ya posted.
                          S-M Misfit #16

GOSM Propane
                          New Braunfels Bandera
                          UniFlame Gas Grill
                          Lil Chief

Comment

ok cool i might get one but is it instant read? or like 6 seconds like most?

Comment

I got one also, it's not instant. It's pretty fast but not instant. It updates every second but in increments so if you make a 50 or 75 F change it takes a while. It comes on in Celsius and you have to switch it to F. Better than a Taylor but not a Thermopen.
                              Mark
                              sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                              Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Working...
                              X