Smoked Pastrami

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoked Pastrami

Got cheap and weirdly shaped piece of brisket and decided to try pastrami.

Spice mix per kg/2lb

15 g cure salt (15g per kg/2lb strength)
    15g seasalt
    15g brown sugar
    *Above is my base cureing mix*
    4 heaped tsp coriander seeds
    1 1/2 tsp peppercorns
    1/2 tsp garlic

Mix all and grind to coarse powder.

As usual I forgot the pre-cured shots. The piece of meat weighed in at just over 1 kg so used exactly what it says above for curing.
    Rubbed well with spices both sides and rolled. GIven that it was a wedge shaped piece of meat it was necessary to roll and tie it to give sensible shape for slicing. Got lucky and ended up being able to slice across the grain.
    Cured for 8 days turning most days (when I remembered it was in the fridge lol)

After 8 days rinsed spices off (again did not need soaking - my base cure mix definitely seems to have the right mix of salt and sugar to prevent meat becoming over salty) and removed as much membrane and fat as I could - yep I should have done it before it was cured. But didn't lol
    Rolled up real tight and hogtied it with a right mess of string and knots. But it worked lol
    Never claimed to be a sailor ;-)

Was smoked for 4 hours at around 100 - then I discovered the smoker heating element was buggered and finished it off in the bottom of the oven for a further 3 hours.
    Took it to 165 - foiled and left till morning.
    Fridged for a day and sliced.

I know most people tend to cook pastrami to a higher temp - but for me this is spot on. tender and juicy and the flavour is just fantastic.
    Smoke is very mild - but that's to be expected and couldn't be helped.
    It's good stuff and a definite repeat - soon as I got a working smoker again :-( .

Edit: found the before curing pictures, lol. So they're tagged onto the end - can't figure out how to change the order of attachments.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 03-12-2009, 08:24 AM. Reason: Found more pictures lol
    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
    Just call me 'One Grind'

Looks good CA...better get that smoker fixed
    Gene

sigpic

The Farm...
    http://gardenofeatn-rhf.blogspot.com/

Comment

I love your qvue with the captions added in!!! Looks like it turned out really well, CA!

Lang 48 Patio | Brinkmann gourmet charcoal water smoker
      Yellow Thermapen | Maverick ET-73 | Maverick ET-72
      sigpic

Comment

Looks great! I bet it's tasty!! 165 is actually the temp I've seen most use for pastrami. For a good hot sandwich, try steaming the pastrami for a bit.
        Keith

Comment

thanks folks - thought I'd seen most take beef to nearer 200. But can't remember what people did with pastrami.
          Anyway 165 works and it's what I was after :-)

Well the more i think about it the more I like the idea of building a plywood smoker for hot smokes and using the bradley for cold smokes.

Money's seriously tight at the moment - been doing this gig for 15 years and this is the quietest I've ever had things.
          Hence making as much of my own processed food as possible is actually financially a damn good idea as well as tasting way better than store foods.
          And starting to sell it is looking more and more like a serious option.

Oh well you never know some mega virus might take down everyones computers and then I'll have more work than I know what to do with.
          umm, so anyone know any good virus writers ??? ;-)
          Last edited by curious aardvark; 03-10-2009, 12:58 PM.
          Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Hey not bad a'tall CA. I have had both "rare" and "falling apart" styles of pastrami. Like 'em both. I think the more well done stuff is usually finished with a steaming and brought to the higher temps, but I'm not sure on that.

Pretty stuff tho. Gotta love that characteristic cure color eh? ;{)
            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Gotta love that characteristic cure color eh? ;{)
              yep - (that horse is still dead lol)
              Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                yep - (that horse is still dead lol)
                Cure it... it'll last longer!
                In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

That pastrami looks great. I could go for a sandwhich now.
                  KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

Cure it... it'll last longer!
                    lmao
                    I give up lol
                    Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

nice looking strami. ya did good .

Comment

Kewl. looking good. BUTT, to BE a pastrami, is HAS to be smoked. Thats the deffinition of a pastrami. If it isn't, not much more than a corned beef. That, and steamed for 3 hours. but it looks GREAT dude.

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

Good looking pastrami, CA! I love the 4 slices vac packs! That's a great idea!
                          Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
                          Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
                          1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
                          Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
                          Weber Smokey Joe
                          Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
                          Pink Thermapen
                          Purple Thermapen

Comment

I see your finally learning something from us yanks... Good job..
                            Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Nice job!

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X