Question about pumpkin seeds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about pumpkin seeds

I read Uncle-Honky's post from last year and his punkie seeds sure looked good enough to eat, but I have a few questions.

Do you have to dry the seeds before smoking them or will they dry out during the smoke? Is there an advantage one way or the other?

What temp and how long on the seeds (to smoke them, and to dry them in the oven if needed)?

I've been thinking some smoked pumpkin seeds sound good for snacking. If anyone else has a recipe please feel free to chime in.

Thanks in advance!
    “Fairy tales don't teach children that monsters exist. Children already know that monsters exist.
    Fairy tales teach children that monsters can be killed.”
    - G. K. Chesterton

Char Griller 7474(w/SFB), UDS, WSJ Mini-drum conversion, MES 30

I Love Toasted Pumpkin seeds!..... We (I) rinse em good in a collander under running water & separate & detach the stringy & chunky stuff attached to the seeds..... Let them continue to drain 1/2 hour in collander, then lay out on paper towel(s) & separate with fingers to dry on paper towel(s)...... Apply another paper towel(s) on top by hand & apply light pressure to wick away moisture..... Pre-Heat oven to 225*..... Let seeds dry about 1 hour, then put dried seeds into a large bowl, mix by hand with EVOO (or another oil) & Finely ground Kosher Salt (Use your regular Kosher Salt & finely grind it in a spice mill or coffee grinder)..... From here, you can choose to add additional seasoning if you want before baking/drying.... Just be cautious with seasonings & sugars, as some of them will burn, darken or produce an "off" taste when exposed to heat..... My favorites is to do the above, until desired degree of "doneness" then place back in the mixing bowl with some finely ground Mad Hunky & mix..... If the seeds absorbed all the oil, apply a little more & mix by hand with the Hunky, or lay on drying racks & spray with Pam & sprinkle on the Mad Hunky Dust & let cool...... I carved an extra 7 neighborhood kids pumpkins with them, just for the seeds....
    Last edited by Fishawn; 10-02-2010, 01:17 AM.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
      I Love Toasted Pumpkin seeds!..... We (I) rinse em good in a collander under running water & separate & detach the stringy & chunky stuff attached to the seeds..... Let them continue to drain 1/2 hour in collander, then lay out on paper towel(s) & separate with fingers to dry on paper towel(s)...... Apply another paper towel(s) on top to wick away moisture..... Pre-Heat oven to 225*..... Let seeds dry about 1 hour, then put dried seeds into a large bowl, mix by hand with EVOO (or another oil) & Finely ground Kosher Salt (Use your regular Kosher Salt & finely grind it in a spice mill or coffee grinder)..... From here, you can choose to add additional seasoning if you want.... Just be cautious with seasonings & sugars, as some of them will burn, darken or produce an "off" taste when exposed to heat..... My favorites is to do the above, until desired degree of "doneness" then place back in the mixing bowl with some finely ground Mad Hunky & mix..... If the seeds absorbed all the oil, apply a little more & mix by hand with the Hunky, or lay on drying racks & spray with Pam & sprinkle on the Mad Hunky Dust & let cool...... I carved an extra 7 neighborhood kids pumpkins with them, just for the seeds....
      You drinking Fish? I gotta roast beef thread..maybe....LOL

Comment

Originally posted by ALX View Post
        You drinking Fish? I gotta roast beef thread..maybe....LOL
        I wanna see it Big Al!........ Yes, drinking..... Pics coming....
        sigpic

Comment

I wanna see it Big Al!........ Yes, drinking..... Pics coming....
          Off to photo bucket....What should i call it?????

Was a fine one......Old mum approved...GF was like a white shark in a tank....

Comment

Off to photo bucket....What should i call it?????

Was a fine one......Old mum approved...GF was like a white shark in a tank....
            LOL...... Hmmm..... let me pee off the deck & I will think while I am testing the air..... Any more clues for the title?,,,,, I mean..... were you getting a C*&^$?~?\G at the time?
            sigpic

Comment

Carwashing.................
              sigpic

Comment

Carwashing.................
                I do grow a few pumpkins...The irish carwash hepped a bit...(kelly)..

Comment

Interesting side benifit of eating pumpkin seeds, , ,They are a great natural dewormer. Yep, when Mom was a kid, she had a tape worm, her Grandma kept her pocket full of toasted pumpkin seeds. She loved em and problem solved. True story.
                  JT

Comment

Smokey Pumpky Seeds

2 cups raw pumpky seeds
                    1 1/2 tsp worchy sauce
                    1 1/2 tsp melted butter
                    and rub of your choice...

Rinse the pumpky seeds and pat them dry. Put them in a bowl and add the worchy,butter and desired amount of rub. mix together until evenly coated.
                    Spread out on a perforated baking sheet or or makeshift perforated tin foil sheet. Smoke for 1 hr plus at 250°, stirring occasionally, until crisp,dry and golden brown.

eat and enjoy!!!
                    Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
                    Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

I do grow a few pumpkins...The irish carwash hepped a bit...(kelly)..
                      You two boys! too bad there is no chat.... Irish carwash eh? lol!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

so do you peel the things before all this effort or just throw away the seasoned shells ?
                        'cos that wouldn't make much sense.

'irish carwash'
                        Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                        Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                          so do you peel the things before all this effort or just throw away the seasoned shells ?
                          'cos that wouldn't make much sense.

'irish carwash'
                          Do not peel the seeds. Eat them as they are.
                          Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
                          Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X