Stuffed zucchini help??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuffed zucchini help??

Oh Majestic Smoked-Meat forum...(shake my beer like a magic 8 ball) I am wanting to see if any of y'all got any stuffed zucchini know how, recipes, or ideas. Wanting to try stuffing some sausage in a 18" zucchini. Any ideas?
    Thanks in advance for any input!
    Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

sigpic

I have done them before & grilled indirect (baked), but never smoked them.... Like you said with sausage & I wanna say the rest was something like shredded cheese, minced garlic, egg, bread crumbs & Italian seasonings.....Then melt more cheese on top at the end.... They were good I do remember...

Let us know what you come up with Ryan
    sigpic

Comment

Cut em inhalf annd boil 5 minutes err soft.Is how i like em.....Like fish says..

Last edited by ALX; 10-03-2010, 07:03 AM.

Comment

First thing that came to mind when you mentioned the stuffed Zucchini was a middle eastern dish called Koussa. I have had it with several variations, my favorite being in a butternut squash rather than the zukes, but they are good too.

Here is a one recipe that I found. Here is another recipe to compare.

Koussa itself is VERY good, but I imagine that if you smoked it, it would be amazing.

Good luck. Keep us posted.
        “Fairy tales don't teach children that monsters exist. Children already know that monsters exist.
        Fairy tales teach children that monsters can be killed.”
        - G. K. Chesterton

Char Griller 7474(w/SFB), UDS, WSJ Mini-drum conversion, MES 30

Comment

classic mexican way (my family any who) is with corn, onions, chilis and chz.......i'd try to work in some chorizzo in the mix.
          sigpic
          it's all good my friend..........

Comment

I like to cut them in 1/2 scoop out the innards and add them to a pan of the following

Italian Sausage crumbled and browned
            Diced onion
            Diced tomato
            Diced mushrooms usually a blend
            Diced panchetta
            Mixture of mozarella and pepper jack to top
            you can finish in the smoker but I usually do it in the oven

Good luck Ry and let us know what you did
            Scarbelly

Comment

Thank you all for the advice, recipes and the know how. I am really interested in some 'o dat chorizo gig Chefrob. Got some chorizo from the pigs we slaughtered. I will report back with my findings.
              You guys ROCK!!
              Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
              Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

can't really help as all my recipes would start with: 'make stuffing, throw away zucchini, eat stuffing'.

Anyone who's ever read or seen the BFG by roahld dahl should instantly recognise zucchini's as snozzcumbers: the horriblest and nastiest food there ever was.

Nice looking stuffing mixes though folks
                Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Well we pulled it off, with all of your help. 1 very large and one regular sized zucc. halved, scraped and boiled 5 minutes. Dusted with garlic powder, directly to the flesh and added butter.

Roasted,seeded and peeled anehiem and ancho pasilla chilis.

Placed over the butter and garlic powder.

Cooked up some corn,chorizo and onions in the mean time.

The corn/chorizo concoction loaded generously over the chilis.

Covered with mozzarella cheese.

Put them on the top rack of the old ECB.

1 hour at 250° over white oak.

on the bottom rack we had a 4 lb. tri tip. You can see some of the corn and cheese, that found its way through the rack, on top of it. White oak smoked for 2 hrs to an I.T. of 130°. Rested 1/2 hour

Some drunkard sliced it with the grain

Baked some honey white bread, earlier in the day.

Plated

Thank you all for the tips and tricks to make this dish a reality!! It is a dish we will do again.
                  Thank you for checkin' out the thread.
                  Ryan

Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

That My Friend!..... Is one fine looking plate! ....... I could tear through a couple of those babys!..... Nice work Ryan, Cop got me tied up... I will deal when I heal....
                    sigpic

Comment

I don't care what Alex says about zucchini, that looks good! Of course, you could just eat the filling and leave the rest.
                      sigpic
                      Smoke Vault 24

Comment

I'm glad it turned out for ya Ryan. Just not a fan of zucchini. Think Rich had the best idea for them. Something about a theft deterrant for your car. Lol.

Folks grew them all the time while I was growing up. Bet I ate it 12 different ways in hotdishes and stir fries. But mom's chocolate zucchini cake and bread were to die for.
                        S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
                        CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
                        New Braunfels Bandera
                        UniFlame Gas Grill
                        Lil Chief

Comment

very nice ryan.........great lookin plate!
                          sigpic
                          it's all good my friend..........

Comment

Here's a fav of mine

Ingredients
                            8 small zucchini (about 7-inches long and 1 1/4 to 1/2-inch wide)
                            Kosher salt

For the filling:
                            2 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
                            6 ounces fresh sausage, such as lamb or mild pork sausage
                            1/2 cup minced onion
                            Freshly ground black pepper
                            1/2 cup finely chopped peeled and seeded tomatoes
                            1 tablespoon minced garlic
                            1 tablespoon freshly chopped basil leaves
                            1 teaspoon freshly chopped thyme leaves
                            1/4 cup fine dry bread crumbs, divided
                            1/4 cup grated Gruyere
                            1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan

Directions
                            Lay the zucchini down on a flat work surface and, using a sharp knife,
                            cut the top 1/4 of each squash off lengthwise. Using a small melon baller or paring knife,
                            remove the inner flesh from the zucchini to form a small boat shape, leaving a shell on the
                            sides and bottom approximately 1/4-inch thick. Cut the trimmings into 1/4-inch dice and
                            reserve separately. Lightly salt the inside of each zucchini and set aside, cut sides down,
                            on paper towels to drain while you prepare the filling.

For the filling:
                            In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and, when hot, add the sausage and
                            saute until golden, using a spoon to break it into small pieces, about 6 minutes. Add the
                            onion and cook until soft, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the chopped zucchini and season lightly with
                            salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until squash is soft and lightly caramelized, about 5 minutes.
                            Add the tomatoes and garlic and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the basil, thyme,
                            and 2 1/2 tablespoons of the bread crumbs. Season, to taste, with additional salt and pepper,
                            if necessary, and set aside to cool.
                            Chris
                            UDS - Buckeye 1
                            Charcoal Grill - Panther 1
                            GOSM Wide Body
                            Cabela's Masterbuilt 7-1 Electric
                            2 Dutch Ovens
                            Cabelas Grinder
                            Cabelas Jerky Blaster
                            Maverick ET-73 Thermometer
                            Maverick ET-7 Thermometer

Comment

Hey... where did ya get an 18" zucchini my brother? lol!!!!
                              Sorry I missed this thread first go around... looks like it was a giant success! (but of course)
                              I know Billie didn't slice that tri.... I have a picture somewhere of the culpret... cant find it but I bet Gary and Lisa have one! :) lol!

Baked some honey white bread, earlier in the day

I see once again you casually mention your breads... Ok folks I am here to tell you, last time we were out we got half a loaf of the bread Ryan has in the photo.. this is no ordinary bread.. its a carpet ride to heaven I tell you. Once I shared my wee bread stash with my kidos, it was faken gone.. poof.. like magic! It is seriously delicious stuff... Ry your loaves look perfect, right out of a bread book! Great Job! Muah.

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Working...
                              X