Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So there was a link to a British bbq soceity...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So there was a link to a British bbq soceity...

.. off the butcher bbq wesbite.

I've had a look and the one thing that instantly caught my eye was this rule (and man do they have a shitlot of rules)

Competition Meat

Included in teams entry fee will include 1 x Brisket, 1 x Pork Collar / Neck end, 2 racks of ribs and 2 chickens or 10 chicken thighs. Additional meat can be used by teams, but is limited to a total of 2 x Brisket, 2 x Pork Shoulder / Neck end, 4 x racks of ribs, 3 chickens or 20 thighs (inclusive of competition meat), and MUST be inspected by a British BBQ Society representative prior to any work being carried out on it.
    Meat Inspection

No trimming, pre-seasoning, injecting, marinating or cooking of any entry is permitted until after inspection by the Official Meat Inspector as appointed by the BBBQS representative or the contest organizer. Meat inspection begins at noon on the day prior to the contest. All meat must be maintained at a maximum temperature of 40 degrees F prior to inspection. Prior to cooking, all meat that is resting in preparation for cooking must be covered at all times. All meats must be cooked to a minimum internal temperature of 145 degrees F. After cooking all meat must be maintained at a minimum temperature of 140 degrees F in a covered container until turned in for judging. All contest meat, once inspected, may not leave the cook team’s site until turn in. All seasoning and cooking of product shall be done within the assigned cooking space. Teams shall not share an assigned cooking space or cooking device. Parboiling and/or deep-frying competition meat is not allowed.
    Is any of this normal in the states ?
    That right there puts me off.

More I look at the site the less I'm inclined to get involved.
    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
    Just call me 'One Grind'

Pretty much the same as KCBS rules, except I dont believe they limit the amount of meat you can cook. Most guys usually do a couple briskets, 4-6 slabs of ribs, a couple shoulders, and probably up to 20 thighs...Gives ya an option of choosing your best meats to turn in.

2 Weber Kettles
    Weber Smokey Joe
    Chargriller Smoking Pro Offset
    Brinkman ECB
    Charbroil 940X
    Project UDS
    Brinkman Turkey Fryer

Comment

You can pre trim the meats here. You just cant season, marinate/brine or inject until after the meat is inspected.

Comment

KCBS allows trimming before. And as far as I know never supplies the meat. Sure would save some money tho! Then again- I'd be bringing my own just in case they give out garbage hunks...

Strange/dumb they spec 145°F minimum. Only thing that could affect would be the chicken, and that needs to go higher obviously. Might as well just say 165°.
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

okay - fair enough.

Now fees.

these guys charge £150 ($225) to enter the bbq comp and £50 ($75) to enter their grilling comps.

Given they don't do comps in the midlands (cos that would make sense) I'd be looking at around £300 ($450) plus or minus per comp (fuel doesn't grow on trees - unfortunately).

Does that sound like a lot to anyone else ?
          Plus meat - cos you don't know what quality they're going to supply.

The only thing I can see they've got going for them is a 1 team invite to the jack.

But £300 per comp is way too rich for my blood.

Mind you I don't have a portable smoker either lol

And then there's the website. No forum, no information on joining or next years comps.

Good job I can't afford it really lol
          Last edited by curious aardvark; 10-04-2010, 09:58 AM.
          Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Actually...we pay $200 to $300 per, and do not get any meat. Nice of the folk in TN to send along an invite.

They prolly just do it for entertainment purposes
            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Yeah...with entry fee and meat,beer,gas etc...we could easily spend 400 a contest....Helps to get some sponsors and being in the money.

Our team is set up as a business with catering and all....Lots of deductions etc...My sister is a CPA..that helps.

I will track down the british group at jack daniels in a few weeks....
              Last edited by ALX; 10-04-2010, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Yep, $400-$500 per comp for everything. There is always a chance to win it back, or even 3-5 Thousand bucks.

Our first season(this year) we spent about $2200 to compete in 5 KCBS events. In those same five events we won 6 trophies, 4 ribbons and a certificate and $2050.So we nearly broke even not counting fuel for travel.

But the amount of fun we had, and the friends we made are priceless.BBQ people are generally great people and will give you the shirt off their back if you need it or ask for it.

I feel truly blessed to have fallen into the group of teams that compete in our area, and extremely lucky to have the team that I have.

I would say, if you can afford it, try it one time!
                Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Captain-N-Smoke BBQ Team(retired)

Comment

They prolly just do it for entertainment purposes
                  lol quite possibly.

Once I sort out a decent portable smoker I'll think about it.
                  I'll see where they're doing comps next year (if they actually post a schedule) and go look at one.

You do get an awful lot of jobsworth (can't do that - more than my jobs worth)
                  types in the uk. While we may not exactly be a nation of bureaucrats, we're bloody close.
                  Looking at the british bbq site - I just don't get that warm fuzzy feeling.
                  And realistically for an infant system and an economy that's totally bollixed, they are pricing themselves way too high, it just looks like they trying to discourage people from having a go.
                  Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Working...
                  X