Looking to build,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to build,

I'm thinking to build a smoker, looking to build a vertical, charcoal/stick burner. I built my last one from a hot plate and a metal garbage can that works great. Where can I find plans? From what I have read it looks like there is more to it than just a smoke box and a fire box.

Size wise I want some thing that will handle 10-12 slabs of ribs, and maybe 6-8 pork butts. But mostly it will be just 1-2 slabs and a butt or two.

I just made a connection with a guy that has a press break and shear. So it looks like now is the time to build.

Any ideas?

Todd

Go insulated...then you will never go back. Check out BBQ engineers thread and my thread on our insulated build.....good luck
    Jerod
    GOT-Q-4-U bbq team
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GOT14U View Post
      Go insulated...then you will never go back. Check out BBQ engineers thread and my thread on our insulated build.....good luck
      Funny you said that, because I was thinking of building it with a 3/16" inter-wall and then an outer shell with something like 1 1/2" rockwool (?) in-between.

I"ll look for the threads.

Comment

Got1 beat me to it. BBQ Engineer and Got1 both have great insulated builds. I am half way thru my own. A fridge conversion based on the backwoods design. Firebox below running on lump. One of these days I will have it done
        https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

GOT14U's got you covered. Great cooker builds right there...
          ---------------------------------------------------
          I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
          ---------------------------------------------------
          KCBS CBJ

Comment

The beautiful thing about insulated builds is you can drop down on the thickness of metal do to your insulation. In the long run saving money and getting a superior product in the end. Try looking into the reverse flow design. BBQ engineer turned me on to them for uprights. You can really see it in my build it works amazing.
            Jerod
            GOT-Q-4-U bbq team
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GOT14U View Post
              The beautiful thing about insulated builds is you can drop down on the thickness of metal do to your insulation. In the long run saving money and getting a superior product in the end. Try looking into the reverse flow design. BBQ engineer turned me on to them for uprights. You can really see it in my build it works amazing.
              It's scary what I had in mind is close to what you are building.

Looks like I can go down to 10ga instead of the 3/16" I was thinking. That makes me as happy as this guy ---> My back is doing this right now ---> For the outer skin I could probably use 16 ga.?

Are you happy with the size you built? I need to do a mock up with some cardboard or something to get an idea.

Do I use the 1/3 rule still? Or is that for offsets?

I was thinking of integrating the flue into the back like BBQ engineer did but drilling holes into the back starting at the top with something like a .75" hole then down say 8" with another, as I move down the holes would get bigger or add several smaller holes.

So what does the water pan do? I have heard so many things that I don't know. Is it to add moisture to the meat? To even out the temp? I have even heard that it makes for easier clean up when the drippings fall into water instead of a dry pan.

Thanks for any help, I can't wait to get started.

Todd

Comment

this is definitely the way I'm going to go at some point.
                Just got to figure out a real cheap way of doing it.

Only thing I'd say so far is don't bother with the holes on the reverse flow chimney.

The whole back is going to be radiating heat and the smoke will circulate anyway. All I can see the holes doing is mess with the flow and heat distribution.
                Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Chimney question

I was wondering about the holes for the chimney myself. Its been a while since i looked at the build but i seem to remember that the only exhaust holes were about half way up the the back of the box.

Is the bottom of the smoke stack open to create a "draft"?

Insulated is the only way to go. On my build, once it comes up to temp itis pretty easy to control.

And by building your own you can make it to you specification.

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys. I checked out the backwoods design and have a few ideas.

I'm going to the the scrap yard to see what I can find. The last time I was there they had a pile of 60"X98" 10 ga. I have two scrap yards and between the two can find some good stuff.

Comment

if you want it cheap, easy, and pretty different, find an old fridge and do like I did... throw a fire box on the side, insert a stack on the top, toss in a few grates, and you are good to go. relatively quick too... i had mine together withing a couple weeks, most of the time i was waiting on parts or bust doing other stuff. works great too. I wish I had a little more room, but that would be easily fixed if I had a few more racks to put food on.

my fire box is 1/8" steel for corrosion resistance, and is un-insulated, but I hope to change that before it gets too cold outside. if I can get a couple inches of duct liner and/or fire-wrap, put it on the fire box, then skin the whole works with some scrap stainless from work, I think it'd be pretty slick. a pain in the ass (now that everything is already built), but it'll help conserve some more fuel and heat in the process.

Later,
                      Andy
                      Current babies:
                      -Daughter's 10"x24" RF smoker
                      -RichTee's Lang :)
                      Former Lineup:
                      -Charbroil Santa Fe grill
                      -1954'ish Philco fridge smoker
                      -1950's GE electric fridge smoker in progress (Went to WuTang and will probably never be completed. lol)
                      -enough beer to drown any problem/ailment you may encounter

"if you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough"
                      BTW, U of M sucks, Go Big Red! I have bragging rights to 2018!

Comment

Originally posted by Meat Hunter View Post
                        Got1 beat me to it. BBQ Engineer and Got1 both have great insulated builds. I am half way thru my own. A fridge conversion based on the backwoods design. Firebox below running on lump. One of these days I will have it done
                        same here. it was too hot out to work this summer, now it's getting just right.
                        try google for the mother earth news fridge conversion.
                        maybe i'll get mine finished next week & have pics.
                        brink vertical charcoal(the carp)
                        18" old smokey charcoal grill/smoker
                        cast iron Hibachi
                        22" Kettle w/ "Smoke-EZ" styled riser extension
                        & rotisserator
                        12x7 wells cargo vending trailer(mods in progress)
                        stuffer,slicer & more carp than i can fit in it...
                        Marshall amps & various awesome guitars,drums,P.A.,etc.recording studio.....

Blues-N-Cues Concessions & Catering
                        http://blues-n-cuesbbq.com/
                        my music recordings-
                        http://www.reverbnation.com/rlcltd

Comment

Sorry I didn't get back on here but here is a link to my build that shows where the smoke stack is on my insulated build.http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7470
                          No holes needed. And this thing hums along with no effort at all.
                          Jerod
                          GOT-Q-4-U bbq team
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tee2 View Post

Do I use the 1/3 rule still? Or is that for offsets?

I was thinking of integrating the flue into the back like BBQ engineer did but drilling holes into the back starting at the top with something like a .75" hole then down say 8" with another, as I move down the holes would get bigger or add several smaller holes.

So what does the water pan do? I have heard so many things that I don't know. Is it to add moisture to the meat? To even out the temp? I have even heard that it makes for easier clean up when the drippings fall into water instead of a dry pan.

Thanks for any help, I can't wait to get started.

Todd
                            Hey Todd...

IMHO, that 1/3 rule is way over kill...even for the trailer mounted stick burners. Don't worry about that...in fact, I don't think it should be a 1/3 rule, more of a 1/3 concept or theory. Also, I wouldn't add holes the vertical length of the chimney...trust me, the reverse flow of the unit will work just fine, and you will be very impressed with it. By having the chimney exit low, you will really stabilize the temp in the unit from top to bottom too. I'm sure that Got1 can second the reverse flow concept really works (and besides, Backwoods has created a whole business around it).

The water pan does multiple things...but the biggest one in my mind is that it is a giant heat sink and helps to keep the temp under control. It absorbs heat and puts out steam at 212° which is pretty darn close to where you want to be for smoking. I won't argue the whole "adds moisture" thing, because I have stuff off of the Iron Maiden that is every bit as moist without a water pan.

I used 10 Gauge steel for the vertical, and it is more than adequate...in fact, once you get 2 layers of it (inside and outside skins), you will probably need some help to move that baby around.

Good luck, I can't wait to see your take on an insulated reverse flow...take lots of pics for us!

Oh, and to the site...you will like it here!
                            Last edited by BBQ Engineer; 10-14-2010, 09:28 AM.
                            BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
                            Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
                            I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Thanks again guys,

We have been having some rain so I didn't get to the scrap yard yet. It gets muddy there but today is looking good.

Questions...

1. How deep should the smoke channels be? Is 1" X the depth (around 20") be Okay?

2. How big is the smoke stack hole and stack? On GOT14U's looks around 4X6. I was planning to integrate into the back like BBQ Engineer did and was thinking on making the back double wall 2".

3. Where can I buy hardware online for things like door latches, insulation, intake air dampers? I may build some of these things but if I start running out of time I might buy them.

I just noticed this is in the Stick Burner section can a Mod move it over to Homemade Smokers section. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X