Safely sending Sausage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Safely sending Sausage?

I have a question for the food safety Guru's.What would be the safest and most economical way to ship Summer Sausage from Oregon to Southern Cal?Any help would be appreciated.Is the cure enough or would it have to be frozen and ice packedThanks
    sigpic

Certified Sausage Head

I vac pack and ship priority mail to family members all over the country and never had a problem.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
      I vac pack and ship priority mail to family members all over the country and never had a problem.

I agree... If it's cured and you vacuum seal it.. You should be good to go for a 2-3 day ride..
      Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

given the whole point of summer sausage is to survive for reasonable periods outside the environs of a fridge. As long as you ship it next day or some other form of expedited post, should be fine.
        Chill it well down first. As long as there are no holes in the casing and it's properly sealed then nothing can get in from the outside and the meat itself is as sterile as it's going to get.
        If you're going to vacpack I'd recommend freezing first.
        I just find that a lot of the moisture gets squeezed out of summer sausage if it's vacpacked. But if it's whole sealed sausage - probably not going to an issue and an extra layer of protrction never hurts (as the actress said to the bishop)

Go for it :-)

It's a bit different I realise but I've had vacpacked snackstix riding around in the trunk of my car for months at a time, never went off and didn't kill me when I ate them (gotta conduct longevity trials somehow lol).
        Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
        Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Thanks guys.I will give it a shot.
          sigpic

Certified Sausage Head

Comment

I had sent kolbasz to Turkey once. Was fine. Biggest worry was pork crossing into Muslim territory

Boy- those were some REAL happy Christian missionaries!
            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

How about freezing it first & maybe packing in an insulated chest or with dry ice?
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                How about freezing it first & maybe packing in an insulated chest or with dry ice?
                If it's cured and shipped over a couple days it's fine. Now fresh... yep- you'd have to keep it below 40°. I have got fresh food shipped in styro with dry ice- it's good for like several days depending. But costly.
                In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Since I am in So Ca, I volunteer to test it for ya - Just send me 10-15 # and I will give ya monthly updates
                  Scarbelly

Comment

Originally posted by Scarbelly View Post
                    Since I am in So Ca, I volunteer to test it for ya - Just send me 10-15 # and I will give ya monthly updates
                    All I need is 1 pound to test it. ^^^That's^^^ just greedy.

Alex sent me some cured snak stix from England. You know that took for ever to get here, but they were fine. Damn fine too. Some kinda pickle flavored thing that I was afraid to eat. But they were awesome.

Tom

Comment

Alex sent me some cured snak stix from England. You know that took for ever to get here, but they were fine. Damn fine too. Some kinda pickle flavored thing that I was afraid to eat. But they were awesome.
                      I think they were just my bacon banger mix with some added chilli powder.
                      :-)
                      And yep once vacpacked, they're fine for months in ambient temps.
                      Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                      Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Working...
                      X