Cuban Bread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cuban Bread

This is the bread I used for my Cuban sammie for the Sept. contest. Since the theme was pork and apple, I replaced all the water with apple juice and added in 2 cups of chopped fresh granny's. The apple flavor was there, subtle however.
    The distinctive taste of Cuban bread is due to the use of a starter, which is made the day before. Also the dough is enriched with lard. You can substitute the lard with solid vegetable shortening if you prefer, but the bread acquires its' basic smoothness through the addition of the lard. I used bacon grease for a light smokey flavor.

STARTER
    3/4 tsp active dry yeast
    1/3 cup warm apple juice
    1/3 cup bread or all-purpose flour

The day before baking; mix the starter ingredients, dissolving the yeast in the apple juice first. You want a thick paste after you add the flour. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let "ripen" in refrigerator for 24 hours. Leftover starter will keep for several days in the refrigerator and can be frozen.

DOUGH
    4-1/2 tsp active dry yeast
    1 Tbsp sugar
    1-1/2 cups warm apple juice
    2 cups finely chopped apples of choice
    3 to 4 Tbsp lard or solid vegetable shortening, at room temperature
    1/2 batch starter
    1 Tbsp salt
    4 to 5 cups bread or all-purpose flour

Dissolve yeast and sugar in 3 tablespoons of the apple juice in a large mixing bowl. When the mixture is foamy (5 to 10 minutes), stir in the lard, the remaining juice, and the 1/2 batch of starter.

Mix well with your fingers or a wooden spoon. Stir in salt and flour, 1 cup at a time. You want to get a dough that is stiff enough to knead. You can also mix and knead in a mixer fitted with the dough hook.

Turn dough onto a lightly floured work surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 6 to 8 minutes, adding flour as necessary. The dough should be pliable and not sticky.

Transfer to a lightly oiled bowl, cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free spot until it doubles its' bulk, about 45 minutes. Punch down.

To form the loaves, divide the dough in 4 pieces. Roll out each to form a 14-inch long tube, with rounded ends (just like French baguettes). Put 2 of the loaves on a baking sheet, about 6 inches apart. Cover with dampened cotton dish towels and let rise in warm, draft-free spot until double their bulk, about 1 hour. If you want to let it rise at a slower pace, you can do it in a cooler spot and even in the refrigerator, but give it 3 to 4 hours instead.

Preheat oven to 350 F

Since my sammies were going to be "pressed," at this point I sped up the process by smashing, then making checkered pattern slits.

Bake until the breads are lightly browned on top and sound hollow when lightly tapped, about 30 minutes.

Let them cool slightly. Transfer loaves onto a wire rack for cooling.

Tom

Very nice, Gunny! Never thought of using juice in bread, but I got all kinds a kinky thoughts running through my head on how that apple bread must have tasted with the Q...

for sharing your process and recipe!

Thanks

Comment

Just awesome Tom!....Will try this! Louie can tear a Cuban up at a place here called the Tally Ho! Man that sure does look good!
      Sunset Eagle Aviation
      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

That looks Great! and thanx for the recipe!
        The juice is a great idea, uh-oh thinkin again.
        Mark
        sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
        Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

thanks for sharing bro... gonna try this soon.
          Charbroil SFB
          GOSM
          MES
          Dutch Ovens and other CI
          Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
          Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Gunny I don't know how you do it but you do. Kudos Bud...
            ---------------------------------------------------
            I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
            ---------------------------------------------------
            KCBS CBJ

Comment

Thanks guys. I appreciate the accolades.

Tom

Comment

Nicely done and explained.....Looks fantastic.Definetly going to do this....

Comment

Working...
                X