No announcement yet.

Procurement stage... UDS in my future.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Procurement stage... UDS in my future.

I got an email tip from SmokinLee that Kmart had a clearance on a kettle grill that they were closing out for $17.99. Checked the local Kmart, all out. Found one at the next Kmart that was the display with no box so I got it for an additional 10% off!

Nothing fancy, but it should work for a lid and a food grate on my future UDS.

Still on my list... everything else.

Any help from my MI bretheren would be greatly appreciated. I have no idea where to find a drum suitable for smoking around here.
    “Fairy tales don't teach children that monsters exist. Children already know that monsters exist.
    Fairy tales teach children that monsters can be killed.”
    - G. K. Chesterton

Char Griller 7474(w/SFB), UDS, WSJ Mini-drum conversion, MES 30

If you have'nt built one.Just for giggles check out the "If a redneck was gonna build a uds"On the Brethren website it is pretty helpful.
    sigpic

Certified Sausage Head

Comment

Originally posted by Critterhunter View Post
      If you have'nt built one.Just for giggles check out the "If a redneck was gonna build a uds"On the Brethren website it is pretty helpful.
      I'll do that, thanks.
      “Fairy tales don't teach children that monsters exist. Children already know that monsters exist.
      - G. K. Chesterton

Comment

Originally posted by Critterhunter View Post
        Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
        I'll do that, thanks.
        Here's a link if you haven't found it already.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=43943

Dave
        CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
        UDS 1.0
        Afterburner
        Weber Performer
        Blue Thermapen
        Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
        Thermoworks Chef Alarm
        Auber Smoker Controller
        Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
        -
        "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Originally posted by DDave View Post
          Here's a link if you haven't found it already.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=43943

Dave
          Easy build....Great link there.
          Keith

Comment

Anyone in MI have a lead on a drum? I live in the Monroe area but work in Detoilet. I am not opposed to driving a little if I can find a deal on one.
            - G. K. Chesterton

Comment

enjoy,,,,,and smoke on....
              sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
              nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

Originally posted by Kingudaroad View Post
                Easy build....Great link there.
                Bubba's thread here is good too.

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=457

It's just that the other one goes into a lot more detail particularly on the charcoal basket which seems to be a hurdle for some.

Dave
                CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                UDS 1.0
                Afterburner
                Weber Performer
                Blue Thermapen
                Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                Auber Smoker Controller
                Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                -
                "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Originally posted by DDave View Post
                  Bubba's thread here is good too.

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=457

It's just that the other one goes into a lot more detail particularly on the charcoal basket which seems to be a hurdle for some.

Dave
                  Thanks Dave.
                  - G. K. Chesterton

Comment

Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
                    Anyone in MI have a lead on a drum? I live in the Monroe area but work in Detoilet. I am not opposed to driving a little if I can find a deal on one.
                    I bought a couple near Hudson about a month ago. If you can't find anything closer I can give you the guys number. I would think you could find on a lot closer though.
                    Char-broil silver (with mods)
                    38" Smoke Hollow LP
                    ECB
                    Drum

Comment

Originally posted by Nowake View Post
                      I bought a couple near Hudson about a month ago. If you can't find anything closer I can give you the guys number. I would think you could find on a lot closer though.
                      I may have found a guy via Craigslist that says he has some. I sent a message to him and now I am awaiting a response. If that doesn't go through I'll let you know. Thanks.
                      - G. K. Chesterton

Comment

Good luck, Yea the grill is el cheapo, I put it together yesterday and brined and smoked some chicken parts in it. Turned out real good. Like I said the lid and grate aint bad and it fit my drum without tweaking. Remember there are some variances in the O/D of different drums so take your lid with you when you get ready to buy one.
                        Last edited by SmokinLee; 10-17-2010, 08:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SmokinLee View Post
                          Remember there are some variances in the O/D of different drums so take your lid with you when you get ready to buy one.
                          Yet again a great tip. When this project is done I have to invite you over for it's debut smoke!
                          - G. K. Chesterton

Comment

A friend that lives across the street from me gets me drums for $30.00 apiece. They are bought brand new and unlined, but they have had gasoline in them a time or two. The company he works for tests the pumps at gas stations to see if they're accurate and they dump the gas into the drums to take back to their shop. I used one to build my smoker and only scrubbed it out at a car wash. I couldn't smell gas in it when it was cleaned out and since it was seasoned, I never have. He said he can get me all I want.
                            They're the type of drum that the lid clamps on and I found that the Weber kettle lid fits best if you use the clamp on lid end as the bottom and cut the bottom of the out to use as the top. I used a hand held sabre saw to cut the bottom out and an angle grinder to smooth the cut out. It works like a charm.

Comment

Originally posted by MichChef View Post
                              A friend that lives across the street from me gets me drums for $30.00 apiece. They are bought brand new and unlined, but they have had gasoline in them a time or two. The company he works for tests the pumps at gas stations to see if they're accurate and they dump the gas into the drums to take back to their shop. I used one to build my smoker and only scrubbed it out at a car wash. I couldn't smell gas in it when it was cleaned out and since it was seasoned, I never have. He said he can get me all I want.
                              They're the type of drum that the lid clamps on and I found that the Weber kettle lid fits best if you use the clamp on lid end as the bottom and cut the bottom of the out to use as the top. I used a hand held sabre saw to cut the bottom out and an angle grinder to smooth the cut out. It works like a charm.
                              Thanks. I found some on CL, the guy is asking $15 per. I made arrangements to pick some up later this week. I might get 3. If all goes well, I will have 1 for me, one for my buddy that wants to get into smoking stuff and either a spare (in case my handywork isn't the best) or maybe one to build and sell to cover the costs of the other two.

ON EDIT: Just talked to the guy and he only has two unlined. I am getting both, just in case.
                              Last edited by Hannibal; 10-18-2010, 05:24 PM.
                              - G. K. Chesterton

Comment

Working...
                              X