New old/used (but not used up) OK Joe smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New old/used (but not used up) OK Joe smoker

My son came across this at a garage sale and I had to buy it...The guy wanted 250 for it but finally came down to 225 when I pointed out all that was wrong with it...He claims it is only three years old but I dont believe it...I dont know how it could get in this condition in only three years...

The rust is just surface rust and will clean up easily...Thermo is gone...Ill probably just plug the hole...Need to fix the handle on the firebox...that looks like something I would hurt myself on for sure...One wheel is held on with a hose clamp and the other with a bent nail...some people...

This clown had been using it as a charcoal grill...I suppose it may work for that but the racks he had built the fire on were warped from the heat and curved to fit the bottom of the smoker...not gonna do much good that way...Hope to get some decent grates built for it soon along with a heat diverter and maybe some tuning plates...

Finally a fire box big enough to build a fire in...Will need to build a fire grate for the box as there isnt one...dont know if he was trying to burn on the bottom or what...Had to lube the air intake and the latch to the door because they had rusted in place...Seems like he hadnt used it much lately...

I cant wait to build a fire in it but I think it will be some while before she's ready to be cooked on...
    Craig
    sigpic

Craig...that's a damn fine score! A little TLC and that is gonna be sweet.
    BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
    Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
    I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Hey!... I fix all my broken shit with hose clamps & bent nails... WTF Craig?......... Looks like a helluva deal to me.....
      sigpic

Comment

Great find Craig. That's a sweet looking machine...
        ---------------------------------------------------
        I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
        ---------------------------------------------------
        KCBS CBJ

Comment

Very nice find. Well made units. A little TLC and it'll be a great smoker for ya. Several others have the same one and should be able to give ya some pointers.
          S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
          CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
          New Braunfels Bandera
          UniFlame Gas Grill
          Lil Chief

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
            Hey!... I fix all my broken shit with hose clamps & bent nails... WTF Craig?......... Looks like a helluva deal to me.....
            Me too but I dont talk about it...
            This guy didnt even empty the ashes and unburnt lump from it before he sold it...And the sorry sucker is going to buy the Yoder smoker that I been droolin over lately...Oh well...maybe after he abuses it for a few years I can pick it up cheap too
            Craig
            sigpic

Comment

I can't wait to see her when you're all done! What paint is good to use? I need to sand mine and paint if it is doable.

Comment

Squirrel...any auto store will have high heat engine paint...thats what I have used before...
                Craig
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
                  ...And the sorry sucker is going to buy the Yoder smoker that I been droolin over lately...Oh well...maybe after he abuses it for a few years I can pick it up cheap too
                  that's thinking the right way! great find and can't wait to see this when it's done.
                  sigpic
                  it's all good my friend..........

Comment

Good find Craig check out lowes for paint they have there large cans of Q high temp on sale 5.99 and this is good stuff!!!
                    Terry here
                    Still have Christene

Comment

SF looks like a damn good deal when i bought mine the lady i got it from used the cook chamber as a charcoal grill and the firebox she used it for a ashtray for her cigerettes .....again some people....a little tlc and you will have a fine smoker
                      Mike
                      Oklahoma City
                      22.5 Generic (gettin ready to be dismantle for the Drum) Kettle Grill
                      Weber 22.5 Performer
                      GOSM 3405gw
                      Boomer Sooner Drum
                      Maverick ET-732
                      Various Cast Iron Skillets and Dutch Ovens
                      A-MAZE-N 6X6 Smoker

Comment

Hey Doc! Glad to see ya back...been wonderin where you been...

SO is this the same cooker you use? Just wonderin...
                        Craig
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
                          Hey Doc! Glad to see ya back...been wonderin where you been...

SO is this the same cooker you use? Just wonderin...
                          the exact same one i used to have ...sold mine a couple of months ago....
                          kinda of wished i didnt sell but you live and learn ....that smoker brand new made by horizon smokers here in oklahoma is $1000 bones....so $225 is not a bad deal.....have fun with it....
                          Mike
                          Oklahoma City
                          22.5 Generic (gettin ready to be dismantle for the Drum) Kettle Grill
                          Weber 22.5 Performer
                          GOSM 3405gw
                          Boomer Sooner Drum
                          Maverick ET-732
                          Various Cast Iron Skillets and Dutch Ovens
                          A-MAZE-N 6X6 Smoker

Comment

Working...
                          X