Salmon Fish Boil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salmon Fish Boil

Here is a Michigan tradition in the salmon boil. I break out my turkey fryer and invite the neighbors over for a feast.

The prep washed desired amount of small red potatoes. Skin desired amount of small onions. Fillet salmon, debone, and skin cut into 3" pieces.

Set up the water about 2/3 full and add a pound of salt. The salt is not just for the food, but raises the specific gravity of the water and makes the fish boil work.

Once the water is boiling add enough Old Bay seasoning to stain the water and delight your senses. Add potatoes, bring back to a boil and cook 10 minutes. Add onions, cook 5 minutes. Add salmon and cook until the salmon joins the boiling roll.

Drain well and spread onto large platters. Douse with butter and splash with some fresh sliced lemon. You'll need two bellies.

sigpic

Well now...can't say I've ever had this Michigan tradition. But then again- I'm no fisherman. Interesting- similar to the low country boil. Maybe I'll be fortunate enough to catch some of this from you western fishin' gurus :{)
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Oh yeah Rich, Most of the west side town have fish boils for the entire communities. These are great for feeding a bunch of people and the salmon tastes like lobster with the butter and lemon, onions are sweet and melt in your mouth. Potatoes are just boiled taters but taste great with the butter and the rest of the flavors together.

Door County WI does a whitefish boil and may be the true original. Maybe we can plan one for the next fishing/BBQ outing.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
        Interesting- similar to the low country boil.

Ditto..... Great way to feed a crowd also.... Thanks for posting Tim
        sigpic

Comment

Been to a few, They are awesome and the food is wonderful.

Need to do one around here soon.
          Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Captain-N-Smoke BBQ Team(retired)

Comment

nice tim!!! been meaning to do a fish boil and post it myself but i dont have any salmon to do one. i been to a few along the big pond myself and is a great feed... i was at one in Kenosa Wi, i bought the guy a beer, and he gave me the details of the boil and everything he put in it...i know his was set so each plate got a chunk of salmon, a piece of lake trout, and a piece of smoked whitefish... he said the key was the smoked whitefish in the recipie... Oh and is always served with a cherry cobbler for desert.

Thanks for posting Tim, had almost forgotten about these!!!
            Charbroil SFB
            GOSM
            MES
            Dutch Ovens and other CI
            Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
            Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Nice...that looks good. Could go for some of that.
              Custom Reverse Flow Smoker, WSM 22", Blackstone Griddle 36"

Comment

looks very interesting.

It obviously tastes good enough to cause people to overindulge:
                You'll need two bellies.
                Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

I've done mudbug, crab, shrimp, lobster and stonecrab boils but I never thought of fish. Sounds interesting, might have to try it.
                  Mark
                  sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                  Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Working...
                  X