"Bald" peanuts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Bald" peanuts

I swear I was like 30 before I realized they weren't hairless legumes that I was so fond of since childhood. It's just that my family, is well, a wee bit reminiscent of oh, I don't know - the cast of DELIVERANCE. Still lovem' though. And yes, I do know I have a purdy mouth.

Anyway, I recently cooked up 50 lbs. of these babies, gave lots away and put major quantities in the freezer. Boiled peanuts, I have found, are a lot like cilantro in that either people love them or hate them. So which group do you fall in?

The only downside I see to these briney little gems is they make me fart like a man. Like a big man. Like a big man who ate something very dead. I crop dusted my cats last night after devouring a pound or six.

Personally never tried em, but most females I know just love them bald peanuts...

2 Weber Kettles
    Weber Smokey Joe
    Chargriller Smoking Pro Offset
    Brinkman ECB
    Charbroil 940X
    Project UDS
    Brinkman Turkey Fryer

Comment

I've never had them boiled. Our options here in Washington are pretty much limited to Hoody's in the bag, or Planters in the jar. I guess I'm missing out. Is boiling a "regional" thing?
      sigpic

Comment

Never had boiled either...how do they compare to roasted / salted.

Our Feed / Garden store has bulk peanuts each fall...just picked up a 25# bag for $30 and change...they are awesome! I share with my beer guzzling neighbors.
        BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
        Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
        I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Boiled peanuts are AWESOME!!

Guys...if you can find raw peanuts, buy them and try'em!
          ~Phillip

"Okay Hunny, so my hobby is collecting other hobbies. Atleast I'm well rounded!"

Comment

Yes, I love boiled peanuts!! And, I love a woman who farts like a man!!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

The only time I tried them was back in the late 70's while lost and driving through a little deliverance town called Dothan AL. at night. I stopped at a gas station for directions trying to get on to I-75 to head home to MI. Nice folks down there and I felt obliged to purchase something for the info. They had these soggy paper bags dripping on the counter, I was curious and asked; what is in the bags? Hell dem ders bolled peanuts. I have always been a big fan of peanuts so bought a bag. They weren't bad and I'd like to try them again.

Comment

Maybe I was lookin for I-65 which went north east to 75, its been awhile.
                Last edited by SmokinLee; 10-20-2010, 10:44 PM.

Comment

boiled peanuts dont like em....used to live in south carolina and they had them everywhere so i bought a bag and took a bite nope not for me in the trash they went now maybe it was the vendor i got them from but i guess i would try them again and see if i would have the same reaction....
                  Mike
                  Oklahoma City
                  22.5 Generic (gettin ready to be dismantle for the Drum) Kettle Grill
                  Weber 22.5 Performer
                  GOSM 3405gw
                  Boomer Sooner Drum
                  Maverick ET-732
                  Various Cast Iron Skillets and Dutch Ovens
                  A-MAZE-N 6X6 Smoker

Comment

Originally posted by ptt49er View Post
                    Boiled peanuts are AWESOME!!

Guys...if you can find raw peanuts, buy them and try'em!
                    I have used "raw peanuts" in things like my Chipotle peanut brittle (nice smokey sweet kick to it)...is that what boiled peanuts are?
                    BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
                    Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
                    I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

love them boiled. hot R cold. try throwin in some xxx green chili powder to the boil.
                      you will have flames going on when ya bugle
                      sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
                      nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

Originally posted by BBQ Engineer View Post
                        I have used "raw peanuts" in things like my Chipotle peanut brittle (nice smokey sweet kick to it)...is that what boiled peanuts are?
                        I have used raw peanuts in brittle too, love that stuff! You have to boil them for like 6 hours in salted water. Not all peanuts are suited for boiling, some turn out mushy, yuck. I like the Valencia peanuts for boiling. They tend to be a tad bit crispy after boiling.

Comment

Bein' a Yankee and all- never had them. But I have heard tell. I like the idea they soak up the boil flavor. Can I get chocolate in there? "Reeses on the full shell"!
                          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Cajun Boiled Peanuts

• 5 pounds raw peanuts, in shells
                            • 1 (6 ounce) package dry crab boil
                            • 1 (4 ounce) can sliced jalapeno peppers, with liquid

Directions
                            Place peanuts in a slow cooker. Sprinkle with dry crab boil. Cover with water. Stir in sliced jalapeno peppers and their liquid. Cover the slow cooker, and cook the peanuts on low 8 hours, or overnight, until peanuts float to the top of the water.

Very tasty
                            Col. Big Guy

Comment

Now them sound Schpicy. I would like this recipe. Thanks for another twist.

Originally posted by Big Guy View Post
                              Cajun Boiled Peanuts

• 5 pounds raw peanuts, in shells
                              • 1 (6 ounce) package dry crab boil
                              • 1 (4 ounce) can sliced jalapeno peppers, with liquid

Directions
                              Place peanuts in a slow cooker. Sprinkle with dry crab boil. Cover with water. Stir in sliced jalapeno peppers and their liquid. Cover the slow cooker, and cook the peanuts on low 8 hours, or overnight, until peanuts float to the top of the water.

Very tasty

Comment

Working...
                              X