Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For comments on Gunslingers snackstix

Come on dude how can you close a thread like that ? lol

Those looked fantastic. Nice and lean too.

So for anyone who wants to ask a question or comment on the closed sticky - here's a thread for it :-)

Okay my questions ;-)

Assuming you don't buy a ready mixed seasoning - either 'cos you can't, like me or want to make your own because you like to.
    1) what's in leggits
    2) Gunslinger what's your favourite homemade snackstix seasoning mix ?

Also - holy cow man - 125lb !
    Those aren't all for home consumption are they ?

And yes rich, I can see the merit of cure in these lol

Anyway great work, great tutorial and I'm sure other members will want to comment as well :-)
    Points !
    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
    Just call me 'One Grind'

Guslinger 'wow those looked great.And what an honer a sticky good job man!points
    2-22.5'' weber
    1-18'' weber
    1 smokey joe
    22.5'' wsm
    24'' smoke vault
    1-outhouse
    Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
    Smoked meathead #135

Comment

Great post Gun....points
      Gene

sigpic

The Farm...
      http://gardenofeatn-rhf.blogspot.com/

Comment

I was wondering the same thing... but it's a good idea to close stickys... that way you don't end up with 100 pages of "wow, that looks great... on the to do list"... just my .02

sigpic

Comment

Thanx Gun! Great tutorial and info source. I was a little surprised that is was closed also but wanted to make a couple of points.

IMO you can't spend too much time removing sinew from venison. Grinding it up may disguise it but it will have a negative affect on the taste.

You can get the meat grinder good and cold by running crushed ice thru it. I do this routinely and it works well and is much quicker.

My experience with cooling sausages with cold water has been positive. I've only experienced loose casings when not doing it but I only use natural casings.

Instead of mixing ice water with the meat mixture try some beer. It imparts a wonderful flavor as you might suspect!
          sigpic

GOSM/propane
          UDS (Cam)/lump
          22.5 Weber Kettle/lump
          Weber Genesis/propane
          Camp Chef Pro 90/ propane

Comment

Originally posted by jbchoice1 View Post
            I but it's a good idea to close stickys... that way you don't end up with 100 pages of "wow, that looks great...just my .02
            I'd like to throw my two cents in with yours. I agree as well.

Great tutorial. points

Dave
            CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
            UDS 1.0
            Afterburner
            Weber Performer
            Blue Thermapen
            Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
            Thermoworks Chef Alarm
            Auber Smoker Controller
            Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
            -
            "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

It was a great tutorial very informative, I gave points as well nice work gun, and thanks

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                Assuming you don't buy a ready mixed seasoning - either 'cos you can't, like me or want to make your own because you like to.
                1) what's in leggits
                2) Gunslinger what's your favourite homemade snackstix seasoning mix ?

Also - holy cow man - 125lb !
                Those aren't all for home consumption are they ?

And yes rich, I can see the merit of cure in these lol

Anyway great work, great tutorial and I'm sure other members will want to comment as well :-)
                Points !
                I honestly don't know what's in the Leggs seasoning mix. All it says is sugar, spices, salt.
                My favorite is a hot recipe which is as follows;
                Add these measurements per pound of meat.
                1/2 tsp. kosher salt
                1/2 tsp sugar
                1/8 tsp garlic powder
                1/4 tsp ground coriander
                1/2 tsp onion powder
                1/2 tsp cayenne pepper powder
                1/2 tsp ground black pepper
                .04 oz (by weight) pink cure
                Sometimes I'll throw some japs in there too. Never measure it though.
                And yes all these are for my home.

Originally posted by lcruzen View Post
                Thanx Gun! Great tutorial and info source. I was a little surprised that is was closed also but wanted to make a couple of points.

IMO you can't spend too much time removing sinew from venison. Grinding it up may disguise it but it will have a negative affect on the taste.

You can get the meat grinder good and cold by running crushed ice thru it. I do this routinely and it works well and is much quicker.

My experience with cooling sausages with cold water has been positive. I've only experienced loose casings when not doing it but I only use natural casings.

Instead of mixing ice water with the meat mixture try some beer. It imparts a wonderful flavor as you might suspect!
                Trust me, nothing negative about the taste or texture of these sticks. I'll send you a sample if you like.
                I only freeze my grinder and stuffer until ready to use. I know my stuff is cold enough because it sweats. When the sweating stops, the meat is too warm. However, grinding ice water is a great idea. Thanks for the tip. Someday, I will finish my cold room.
                I don't know why I have no luck with the casing after cooling them. But the fact is, they look fine and taste great, so I really see no point. I figure, do what works.
                You're gonna love this...........I hate beer. And I don't drink alcohol anymore. When I did, it was rum, bourbon, scotch..... yep I'm a whiskey man, or was. Even the smell of beer makes me think of how it tastes coming back up in the morning. So Beer, YUCK!!!!!

Tom

Comment

Yep, If it ain't broke don't fix it! And I've prolly only made 125lbs of stix in my life time. Your doing that per batch!
                  sigpic

GOSM/propane
                  UDS (Cam)/lump
                  22.5 Weber Kettle/lump
                  Weber Genesis/propane
                  Camp Chef Pro 90/ propane

Comment

Working...
                  X