Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pics of Black Cat BBQ Competing at the Jack Daniels Invitational...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pics of Black Cat BBQ Competing at the Jack Daniels Invitational...

We (sister,brother in law) had a blast....I just wanted to be in top 50 and we achieved that....44 outta 76 teams...Sister sets goals a little higher,but this aint a normal competition with all the heavy hitters and celebrity style judging.

http://www.kcbs.us/events.php?year=2...nth=10&id=2377

Had some issues...We move first meats to a WSM to finish and i have owned one 10 plus years...It was 42 degree and 95% humidity in Lynchburg(altitude 800 feet)..I had a heck of a time getting temp in desired range and noticed alot of condensation on bottom of water pan...Turned out we had a pin size hole in pan and was leaking on coals...I almost always run it dry..Not sure why i used water...

Guru was acting up,but no excuses....We have done 20 comps in the 2 years we have competed and we all felt our product was top ten or better for our region...This is a tough field with mainly celebrity judges...It evens out etc...Little challenging to do dark and white meat in chicken box and we did not have time to practice presentation...As i said..It all evens out in the end anywho...

Arriving thursday at 9 am at front of comp...We left wednesday at 6 am(720 miles) and stayed at a KOA that night to fill with water(take showers) and pump the crapper tank

All set up in the Black Cat BBQ rig....

Identification badge you have to wear and the Bung from the deleware draw that got us in the Invitational....

You have to win a state championship of over 25 teams or a contest over 50 teams to be eligible for draw....We did both with a certified state championship from virginia(60 teams) and a deleware state championship...

I spent 4-6th grade in anchorage,alaska and the alaska team had no way to get his smoker to comp...He uses WSM and we have 3 extra we dont use and brought them in RV for him....

Check out the temps on this poster he has on his tent...This is his back porch just south of fairbanks alaska...

Great family they were...He gave us a bottle of salmon vodka and other trinkets,plus some perty fresh alaska sockeye salmon...

I was real happy to meet Fishawns Uncle.....Great guy,but he smoked his meat in firebox and had heat source in the meat area...

English folk liked to tip the bottle as well...

Damn it...Damn.Damn,Gosh Damnit.....Myron was their vending...Talked with him,but didnt wanna break my lens shooting his ugly mug....

Extreme Roasters from Michigan were 4 slot down....Troy was a great guy...He said he did 68th or so last year,but kicked arse this year and was 8th...with a call in ribs i think...Awesome job Big Guy....

I mentioned captain and smoke(dan,rich,lee,crewdawg) and he was impressed with the great finishes they had for a first year team....
    I think he said it took him 6 years to get a GC

IQUE who won last years...Great people

Some teams do Happiest Home in the Holler...This one had Elvis playing

Most teams buy a jack daniels barrel head and have the other teams sign it...I think we got most teams signature

Team next to us was Moo-Cow....They were usung a backwoods clone he made that is gravity fed...

Had a great conversation with a switzerland team member thursday night at there site...Took me a bit to realize he didnt speak much english...He kept saying apple pie moonshine that moo-cow brought....

Nice brisket knife from japan he was using(moo-cow)150 bucks new

They parade teams thru lynchburg(pop 321) all way to jack daniels distilery and then bused teams 1/4 mile up hill behind for dinner

I stepped out of line at entrance and took pics of sister BIL carying the Black Cat Banner

Saturday at 2 am... morning of the comp

Lilly guarding the site

She got tired(10 years old)....She is the star always...Folks love her etc...

Didnt have a chance to get box photos...So many folk i had to run blocker for BIL...

Some of the ribs we didnt use though...We had 60% 9's(top score) and 40% 8's(nothing below 8) and still fineshed 21st in ribs...Tough crowd to compete against...

Award ceremony area....Mike Mills and Paul Kirk gave a lifetime achievment to Lee Ann whippins dad...At this point i had started drinking,should have got some more photos

Best competition of the 20 we have competed in for atmosphere IMHO...Everybody was dead serious and profesional....Had lots of fun and hope to get drawn again....You never know etc...

Awesome pics....I need to make it to one of the big events...
    Custom Reverse Flow Smoker, WSM 22", Blackstone Griddle 36"

Comment

Great pictures Neil! .......
      sigpic

Comment

good show Alx and company.
        nice pixs of the event. did any one else from SMF attend?
        sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
        nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

Man...Simply stated ya'll done good! Don't have the testicular fortitude to do that! Won't tell ya here what I do! Thanks for the pic's! Wanted to go...But Dega is here!
          Sunset Eagle Aviation
          https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Man... all that going on..it must be hard to keep in the game. But I'd sure like the opportunity some day to try!

Well done folks- Bravo!
            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by ALX View Post
              I was real happy to meet Fishawns Uncle.....Great guy,but he smoked his meat in firebox and had heat source in the meat area...

Alex,

Great pics and thanks for reliving the event for us. Not many people get to get a glimpse into that...
              BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
              Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
              I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Great shots Alex and congrats.

First thing I wanna know is why did ya have pump out the crapper after only 720 miles LOL

I see your name is Alex D'Foil

And did you get a chance to meet Troy from Extreme roasters? Hell of a nice Guy. He is a tough one to beat as we compete against him in every comp I have attended in MI but it's a blast to try.
                Last edited by SmokinLee; 10-25-2010, 08:59 PM.

Comment

Damm Alex, that looks like allot of fun. You didn't take first place? Well then its obvious the judges are on the take

Wish we had comps like that here in Norwegianville. Thanks for sharing that, it looks everyone was having a blast
                  https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

Looks like you a fun trip. Nice pics.

Comment

Originally posted by BBQ Engineer View Post

Alex,

Great pics and thanks for reliving the event for us. Not many people get to get a glimpse into that...
                      ...... Thanks Dana, missed it first time through....
                      sigpic

Comment

Congratulations Alex...

Comment

You guy's rock.Congratulations to you,your sis and bil.For havin' the sack to be in it with the big boys is pretty cool.Obviously you earned it or you wouldn't have been there.
                          sigpic

Certified Sausage Head

Comment

VERY COOL. i overslept & had yesterday planned...we coulda yakked, 1/2 my family is from Alaska(Grammy grew up in skagway,mom born in Juneau..long story)we shoulda made it down.
                            brink vertical charcoal(the carp)
                            18" old smokey charcoal grill/smoker
                            cast iron Hibachi
                            22" Kettle w/ "Smoke-EZ" styled riser extension
                            & rotisserator
                            12x7 wells cargo vending trailer(mods in progress)
                            stuffer,slicer & more carp than i can fit in it...
                            Marshall amps & various awesome guitars,drums,P.A.,etc.recording studio.....

Blues-N-Cues Concessions & Catering
                            http://blues-n-cuesbbq.com/
                            my music recordings-
                            http://www.reverbnation.com/rlcltd

Comment

Originally posted by ButcherBBQ View Post
                              Looks like you a fun trip. Nice pics.
                              I appreciate that...Most folk dont have a clue who you are on forum(gotta work on that)...But that is mighty nice of you...I will make sure sister and BIL see that.....Thank you...

Comment

Working...
                              X