Chicken Nacho's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicken Nacho's

I'm not a real big Nacho eater, but my 16 y/o son & his pals can do some serious Nacho damage.... We have made a lot of different types (plain meat, smoked meat, grillled meat, chicken, pork, beef, tri-tip, burger, etc) but he and his pals say this one is King, so I thought I would go through it... Kinda time consuming to do it all together at once, but we have done it with leftover BBQ thighs & it is equally as good..... We like thighs (skin on but trimmed), rubbed with Mad Hunky, then grilled indirect with Hickory chunks until a lot of the fat has rendered out & they get good color & look like they are ready to pull off & eat..... Then we put BBQ sauce on them & get the outside & skin to char a bit.... When the "char" is to your liking, pull them off & let rest & cool a bit.... Assemble X amount of tortilla chips on a baking or pizza sheet with foil over it that is sprayed with Pam (or similar).... I like to throw the smaller pieces out & try to use full chips or larger pieces only if I can....Spread them out as best you can, for maximum exposure on each chip.... Then we add a light sprinkling of Hunky Dust (Mad Hunky ran through a spice mill, so it gets super fine)... Then comes the time to use your hands & "strip" all the meat off the thighs.... (When grilling them, we are shooting for "fall off the bone" meat, but with a little carmelization (char) to the skin & outside).... So, using your hands or whatever you want, get the meat & the skin off the thighs & break into pieces that will fit on a tortilla chip the best you can.... If the skin comes completely off, just set it aside & deal with it later..... Place a good chunk of chicken on a chip..... I like to try to include a piece of the skin on each tortilla if I can... (ITS GOOD)..... When all the chicken is evenly distributed on the chips, cover with cheese the way you like it.... These kids love the cheese, so they get kinda like pizza "gooey" .... The main thing I shoot for (and I know it is time consuming & not possible for everyone all the time, but small batches it really pays off) is attempt to make every chip "loaded" .... with a nice big piece of chicken/skin & a good chunk of cheese... These take a little time, but are well worth it in the end..... OH, BTW, These guys DO NOT like Guac, Salsa, Japs, Sour Cream, etc.... Which would make these 10X better IMO

sigpic

So the bystanders behind me saw this and said, "lets have that" And I had to explain to them its probably a 3 hour plate of Nachos haha. They were fine with that cuz I have to do all the work! So I imagine I will make something similar. I plan to buy the rub when I have some extra money. Money be tight these days for sure.

Comment

If I make nachos here, I get to eat them all by myself. I would be hard pressed to finish off one plate of those, but I'd hurt my self trying.Looks great, Scott.
      sigpic
      Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Hey sherrif...next time yer makin those let me know...That would be worth driving half way across the U.S. for
        Craig
        sigpic

Comment

They look great but,
          These guys DO NOT like Guac, Salsa, Japs, Sour Cream, etc.... Which would make these 10X better IMO
          I agree. Still you could pass me a plate........
          Mark
          sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
          Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

scott, those look damn good there!!! no doubt gonns have to give them buggers a shot for sure!!! bro forsomething new and different!!!
            Charbroil SFB
            GOSM
            MES
            Dutch Ovens and other CI
            Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
            Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Bother Scott, Sheerif, SIR!

Those are the best plain jane, straight up, bad ass chicken nachos I've ever seen. I hear ya on the kid part - 3 hrs on the prep, three minutes on the scarf! to ya on the reload all around for the nachos and for such a detailed post.

Comment

Wake up this morning and the first post I open is this..... Thanks fishawn, I am immediately hungry now and telling my wife "Come check this out" !!!
                --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
                www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

Aaaahhh man! Those look and sound super good! Slap some japs on and we be talkin' big boy chips and my new bestest friend
                  Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
                  Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

Dang they look great Scott...
                    ---------------------------------------------------
                    I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
                    ---------------------------------------------------
                    KCBS CBJ

Comment

Dang it Scott , those look mighty fine , but I'm with ya on the extra toppings
                      sigpic
                      homebuilt verticle ( aka the q-bottle )

Comment

Awesome, Scott. Seen several posts like this. Just wish I could save some leftovers to do it. Never lasts long enough. You can keep the guac, but the rest is required. That's a meal!

Originally posted by MossyMO View Post
                        Wake up this morning and the first post I open is this..... Thanks fishawn, I am immediately hungry now and telling my wife "Come check this out" !!!
                        I did the same thing. My measly eggs, toast and venison bacon helped, but didn't compare. How sad is that?
                        S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
                        CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
                        New Braunfels Bandera
                        UniFlame Gas Grill
                        Lil Chief

Comment

Working...
                        X