Some Jerky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Jerky

Well, at my son's request, I finally got around to making some more jerky.

No pictures of the prep but I had the Safeway meat department slice about 5 pounds of top round london broil. A little more expensive than just the top round but practically NO FAT to trim off.

I marinated it for about 36 hours (from Thursday afternoon til Saturday morning) in Richtee's Jerky Marinade. If you haven't tried it, it's GREAT!! Here's the recipe.

Richtee's Red wine Jerky marinade

The mix I use for about 8 lbs. jerked beef is roughly:

8 Tbsp. Morton Tenderquick <Standard 1 tbsp/lb. meat..follow directions on bag!>
    4 Tbsp fresh cracked black pepper
    1/4 cup soy sauce- lo-sodium stuff works well for this
    3 tbsp. powdered onion
    2 tbsp. powdered garlic
    2 tbsp. cumin
    2 tbsp. ground red pepper
    4 tbsp. Worchester
    Enough red wine to dissolve the T.Q. when warmed in a pot and cover meat <couple cups, typically>
    I have a spreadsheet that I use where I have converted each ingredient into tablespoons per pound. I just enter the weight of the trimmed meat in pounds and it gives me the amounts of each ingredient in tablespoons for the batch.

Anyway, I fired up the SnP in gas mode this morning at about 8 am. I like using the SnP in gas mode for jerky or Canadian bacon because I can control the amount of smoke by adjusting the position of the can relative to the flame.

Ran it at in the 140s and 150s with hickory chunks for smoke. It was in the 50s outside today which is good. It helped keep the temps down. It was a bit breezy though so it was a bit of a challenge to keep the end to end temps even.

I couldn't fit all the meat on at once so as some of it dried removed it and added more. Here's the final batch on the smoker.

And finally the whole batch. Or at least what was left after me snacking on it all day. In the name of quality control of course.

Thanks for checking out my smoke.

Dave
    CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
    UDS 1.0
    Afterburner
    Weber Performer
    Blue Thermapen
    Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
    Thermoworks Chef Alarm
    Auber Smoker Controller
    Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
    -
    "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Very nice Dave...But I still cant get used to the idea of a SnP with a gas option...seems to work real well though...
    Craig
    sigpic

Comment

Looks great, Dave. Thanks for the recipe.
      sigpic
      Smoke Vault 24

Comment

That is some right fine looking jerky, Dave!
        Thanks for including the recipe. With hunting season just around the corner, I've been thinking about making jerky... surely between me and Bassman, one of us will get a critter!

I like your bouble decker rack - I may have to whip up one of those.

Comment

Originally posted by WALLE View Post
          I like your bouble decker rack - I may have to whip up one of those.
          Thanks. It's nothing fancy. It was always annoying not to have enough room so I just took the grill out of my Masterflame gasser and set in on some angle iron I had. Let's me do a little more at a time.

I really need to order a replacement top rack that came with the SnP. I messed it up trying to mod it to work with the chimney extension.

Dave
          UDS 1.0
          Afterburner
          Weber Performer
          Blue Thermapen
          Thermoworks Chef Alarm
          Auber Smoker Controller
          -

Comment

Damn fine job sir.
            “Fairy tales don't teach children that monsters exist. Children already know that monsters exist.
            Fairy tales teach children that monsters can be killed.”
            - G. K. Chesterton

Char Griller 7474(w/SFB), UDS, WSJ Mini-drum conversion, MES 30

Comment

Great looking jerky Dave.... That recipe sounds really good also.
              sigpic

Comment

I gotta tell ya Dave... I need to find that post and change it. Could you give me the link?

Did you find the jerky salty? I have gone to .5 Tablespoon/Lb and found no less curing capabilities, and a big reduction in saltiness. Figuring the .5/Lb for ground meat- and jerky's thin enough to be considered ground. Just be sure to give the full 24 hours for cure. Or more... won't hurt.
                In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                  I gotta tell ya Dave... I need to find that post and change it. Could you give me the link?
                  I don't think it exists in its original form at SMF anyomre. I've had a copy on my computer for about 2 years now. A quick search at SMF only returned one of my threads but the recipe is not included (any more. )

Did you find the jerky salty?
                  A little maybe. Not too bad though. I used the low sodium soy sauce. Haven't had any complaints though. Well, except for the amount of pepper. But Michael and I like it that way. I shook some coarse ground pepper on it after it was laid out on the smoker too.

Dave

On Edit: Actually, the saltiness did seem to manifest it self later.
                  Last edited by DDave; 11-01-2010, 08:03 AM.
                  UDS 1.0
                  Afterburner
                  Weber Performer
                  Blue Thermapen
                  Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                  Auber Smoker Controller
                  -

Comment

Originally posted by DDave View Post
                    I don't think it exists in its original form at SMF anyomre. I've had a copy on my computer for about 2 years now. A quick search at SMF only returned one of my threads but the recipe is not included (any more. )

A little maybe. Not too bad though. I used the low sodium soy sauce. Haven't had any complaints though. Well, except for the amount of pepper. But Michael and I like it that way. I shook some coarse ground pepper on it after it was laid out on the smoker too.
                    Allright... well, I guess I meant well anyway ;{)

But be advised you can back off on the TQ some and not worry about the cure due to meat thinness. As I said..on thin THIN cut jerky- 50%. If you are doing .25+ strips, maybe 40% to be on the safe side for the cure.
                    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Allright... well, I guess I meant well anyway ;{)

But be advised you can back off on the TQ some and not worry about the cure due to meat thinness. As I said..on thin THIN cut jerky- 50%. If you are doing .25+ strips, maybe 40% to be on the safe side for the cure.
                      Actually, upon further review, and the fact that I could hardly get my wedding ring off this morning to take a shower, maybe it is a little saltier than I realized.

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to add it to my notes.

Dave
                      UDS 1.0
                      Afterburner
                      Weber Performer
                      Blue Thermapen
                      Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                      Auber Smoker Controller
                      -

Comment

Looks real tasty man...........

Like that gas mod too......

Comment

Great looking Jerky DDave. Kudos...
                          ---------------------------------------------------
                          I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
                          ---------------------------------------------------
                          KCBS CBJ

Comment

Originally posted by DDave View Post
                            Actually, upon further review, and the fact that I could hardly get my wedding ring off this morning to take a shower, maybe it is a little saltier than I realized.
                            Brined yerself, didja?

Perhaps you could edit the original post with explanation... as you know, sometimes folk won't go thru a whole thread

Comment

And finally the whole batch. Or at least what was left after me snacking on it all day. In the name of quality control of course.
                              Yep that quality control is very important.
                              Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                              Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Working...
                              X