Monster Seeds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monster Seeds

Well, I had to post this with all of the roasting posts I've seen.

My mom grew these punk'ens and gave them to the girls. The biggest one was just shy of 100#'s - could hardly pick it up.

So's I grabbed a beer and the saws-all and we carved us some Punk'ens!

After I had the tops chopped off, I couldn't believe the size of the seeds. Just couldn't pass up roasting some of them up.

Punk'ens

Roasted: I brined them first for a couple of hours in salt water, then dried them at 300 for about an hour. Once good and dry, I tossed them in 1/4 cup of melted butter seasoned with garlic and onion salt, then back in at 150 while Trick-or-Treating for about 2 hours. I thought they turned out good. Should have tried smoking some...

Quarter sized seeds

Hope everyone had a safe fun Spook Day!
    Tracey

You werent kidding they are big, nice!!
    I made some from the two pumpkins we got and i am jonesing for more!!

Comment

Wow... those are 'Uge! I'm gonna try that method later today I think. After I gut the 9 I picked up yesterday...phew.
      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

For Rich or anyone else, I kinda followed this process which was in the Parade insert in the paper:

Spread 1 cup rinsed seeds on an oiled baking sheet: dry in a 300* oven for 30 minutes. Take out and toss with 2 Tbs of melted butter and seasonings (for sweet: 1.5 T Brown Sugar, .5t. cinanamom and a pinch of nutmeg; for savory .5t. course salt, 1.5 T grated parmesan, and a pinch of black pepper). Roast for 7 minutes at 375 and you're done!

Like I said below, it took much longer for mine to dry I think due to the size. They will seem very greasy at first, but it will bake down to a good crunchy dry seed.
        Last edited by WALLE; 11-02-2010, 06:56 AM.

Comment

Those are huge, Walle. Bet those were great.
          S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
          CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
          New Braunfels Bandera
          UniFlame Gas Grill
          Lil Chief

Comment

Working...
          X