Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mad Hunky Moules Marinieres - sorta kinda :-)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mad Hunky Moules Marinieres - sorta kinda :-)

So I was wandering around sainsburys last night. Thinking to myself: 'I fancy a pizza tonight, wonder what they've got'.
    Ambled over to the fish counter, bought some marinated anchovy fillets and the lady behind the counter said: 'we've got some bargains over here'.
    She wasn't joking lol

Ended up with around 2.5 lb bag of live mussels and some stupidly cheap fresh tuna (for tonight - stirfry I think).

Forget the pizza I was having mussels for dinner !

So this is my take on Moules Marinieres.

Get yourself a very large saucepan.

Add about 2 oz butter, melt over a low heat and add finely chopped small onion and a clove of garlic.

Then add 2 tsp MH

Cook gently until the onions are translucent.
    Add about 2 small glasses of white wine and bring to a low simmer.

Now traditionally the mariniere sauce is made pretty quickly, and a becuase of this I think it can be a little harsh. I like to cook it longer and make sure all the alcohol has evaporated, this gives a smoother tasting and more rounded sauce.
    I also apply the italian method of adding the remaining wine little and often, and simmering off the alcohol between each addition.
    Add about a tablespoon at a time - little and fairly often. Think I used about 1/2 a bottle wine in total.

Okay so after about 10 mins or so simmering, add about 2 tbs ketchup.

As well as adding wine little and often

Also keep tasting it and keep adding MH until you get a nice bit of heat.
    If it's tasting a little sharp add a couple of tsps of sugar.

Leave the sauce simmering while you sort the mussels out.
    You need to remove the beards. I recommend pliers.
    For those who don't have a gerber permanently attached to your belt - normal pliers will do :-)

Put de-bearded mussels into sink of cold water.
    Discard any mussels that don't close (later you'll discard any that don't open - try not to get the two mixed up, shellfish poisoning is very unpleasant :-)

Once de-bearded. Check the sauce. If you think it's ready, bring to a boil.
    No rush, if necessary add more wine, MH, sugar etc and continue simmering.

Bring sauce to a hard boil and add the mussels and put lid on saucepan.
    Cook for 4-6 mins.

Mussels are ready when they are all gaping open - discard any that do not open (see previous note :-)

Now traditionally with mariniere at this point you add cream and stir it in.
    Didn't have any cream so added greek yoghurt instead. About 2 good tablespoons.

Stir in thoroughly and continue to cook for about another minute.

That's it, done.

To serve.

Using a slotted spoon add a lot of mussels to a large pasta dish.
    Then ladle sauce over the top.

Serve with crusty bread, a bowl for the empty shells, a small fork to remove mussels from shells, a soup spoon and a glass of mexican beer

Now this amount would have been plenty for 2 people.
    So after removing the remainder of the mussels from the shells I put what was left in a bag and in the fridge for lunch later in the week :-)

Cooked mussels will keep fine - fresh ones you use as soon as possible.
    See previous remark about shellfish poisoning
    Attached Files
    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
    Just call me 'One Grind'

Funny- B-N-Q called me last night to be sure I knew the hazards of the oystahs... yeah, one of the worst ways to go down is bad shellfish...

Sounds darn tasty... altho some chopped garlic would have found its way into the pot over here ;{) Good method on the wine reduction- I think it's supposed to preserve more wine flavors added & reduced in small measures...or something like that...
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Alex, good looking dinner! I like your method of sauce Boy 'o Boy, got me craving some shell fish !!
      Thanks for sharing
      Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
      Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

That is a stellar looking plate mate! ...... I spotted the Gerber in an instant...
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
          Funny- B-N-Q called me last night to be sure I knew the hazards of the oystahs... yeah, one of the worst ways to go down is bad shellfish...

Sounds darn tasty... altho some chopped garlic would have found its way into the pot over here ;{) Good method on the wine reduction- I think it's supposed to preserve more wine flavors added & reduced in small measures...or something like that...
          chopped small onion and a clove of garlic.
          garlic ended in the pot over here - not forgetting all the garlic in the MH as well :-)
          Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

nice meal.
            brink vertical charcoal(the carp)
            18" old smokey charcoal grill/smoker
            cast iron Hibachi
            22" Kettle w/ "Smoke-EZ" styled riser extension
            & rotisserator
            12x7 wells cargo vending trailer(mods in progress)
            stuffer,slicer & more carp than i can fit in it...
            Marshall amps & various awesome guitars,drums,P.A.,etc.recording studio.....

Blues-N-Cues Concessions & Catering
            http://blues-n-cuesbbq.com/
            my music recordings-
            http://www.reverbnation.com/rlcltd

Comment

cheers
              Got to admit the MH really did add some extra punch to the sauce, not to mention that gorgeous colour.

Forgot to mention it in first post but the big bag of mussels should have been £3.99 (about $6) but was actually £1.15 (about $1.75)
              And the display until date was the 5th nov, Not that I'm complaining lol
              Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Fantastic post!! That looks incredible and i havent had mussels in a long time, but now I know how to make them at home Thanks for the details

Comment

cheers for points.

Yep mussels are very easy to make, just follow the two golden rules:
                  during cleaning discard any that do not close or have broken shells.
                  And after cooking discard any that remain closed :-)

Oh yeah 3 rules: If you forage for them yourself, don't pick the big juicy looking ones that grow near sewage outfalls

You can throw all sorts of seasonings in the sauce, but I think white wine and butter and onions and garlic should always be the base :-)
                  Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Fantastic man....I could go for some right now....

Comment

Man...That will eat right nice! Ya done good! I'm right carefull about shellfish...I know what to do...
                      Sunset Eagle Aviation
                      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

thanks for comments and points folk.

The broth with some unshelled mussels in madea great lucnh wednesday too.

Picked up some big halfshell mussels from costco this morning.
                        So to continue the seafood week I'll stuff them for tonight - hopefully get them cooked on the outlaw - long as the rain holds off :-)
                        post up tomorrow.
                        Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Working...
                        X