A couple cheesey questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A couple cheesey questions

I am thinking about smoking some cheese this weekend. I know the basics, low temps, etc. I will be using a horizontal offset.

I was thinking about doing a block of cheddar and a block of pepperjack, any other suggestions?

I have some apple and pecan wood, any preference?

I haven't smoked cheese yet so any other help/suggestions are appreciated.
    KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

wish I could help you, but I've never smoked any cheese....might like to try it someday though...let us know how it turns out.
    www.nopigleftbehind.com
    -----------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by wutang View Post
      I am thinking about smoking some cheese this weekend. I know the basics, low temps, etc. I will be using a horizontal offset.

I was thinking about doing a block of cheddar and a block of pepperjack, any other suggestions?

I have some apple and pecan wood, any preference?

I haven't smoked cheese yet so any other help/suggestions are appreciated.
      Adam, while your doing them. try a block of Mozzarella. I also like colby.

really watch your temps. I've ended up with smoked cheese that looked like stalagmites. LOL but still ate them. lol

Comment

Both apple and pecan are excellent choices. Also, don't be disappointed in the flavor right after it's finished. Toss it in the fridge for a few days THEN judge your work!
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by BigRedQ View Post
          Adam, while your doing them. try a block of Mozzarella. I also like colby.

really watch your temps. I've ended up with smoked cheese that looked like stalagmites. LOL but still ate them. lol
          Yeah I was thinking colby, mozzerella or maybe provolone too. Provolone is probably my favorite cheese.

How long did you smoke the cheese for? I have seen Walking Dude do cheese for 45 min. And I have seen Smokin365 do cheese for over 2 hours.
          KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

Originally posted by wutang View Post
            Yeah I was thinking colby, mozzerella or maybe provolone too. Provolone is probably my favorite cheese.
            In my opinion one of the best cheeses for smoking is gouda...MMMM!
            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Rich hit it on the head. wait a day or 2 before tasting. You'll likely be dissapointed if you try it right away.
              and YOUBETCHA RICH, gouda is a fantastic cheese for smoking. nice addition

Comment

I had planned on waiting a couple days before eating. I guess I gotta grab some gouda too.

Thanks guys.
                KCBS/CBJ #56408

Comment

I love smoked cheddar on a burger! The gouda is a great thing as well!
                  "I'm the 82nd Airborne, and this is as far as the bastards are going."
                  PFC Martin, 325th Glider Infantry Regiment, Battle of the Buldge

Comment

If you wait even longer its alot better. Smoke it for an hr or two, then allow to cool, even refridgerate, then vac pack it tight. Toss it in the fridge for a week to ten days. The flavor will spread through it wonderfully.
                    Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Captain-N-Smoke BBQ Team(retired)

Comment

Vlap-smoked cheddar on a burger sounds good. I was also thinking topping off a bowl of chili with smoked cheddar. Or spicy nacho dip with the smoked pepperjack.

Keep the ideas coming.
                      KCBS/CBJ #56408

Comment

i did those smoked cheese nachos... they were great... mozz, colby jack, swiss, pepperjack, gouda, provolone, although provolone has a kinda smokey flavor already... havartii is excellent I hear too... but yeah, be sure and keep the temps as low as you can... smoked cheese stuffed in burgers it good... I even cold smoked some cottage cheese, and ricotta in a tub and used it to make lasagna... just stir it up every now and then... I'll do it again and post the pics... it was good... try cream cheese and use that in your abt's... or any cheese for that matter... it's good too

sigpic

Comment

The smoked ricotta for lasagna sounds like a good idea. My wife is pretty picky about her lasagna, though.
                          KCBS/CBJ #56408

Comment

the time it takes to smoke, depends on you, and how much smoke flavor you want. Some people like a heavy smoke flavor, and some don't! Some cheese takes smoke better than others. I have found white cheeses take the smoke flavor quite easy, and yellow cheeses not as well. I smoke the whites about 1-1.5 hours, and yellows up to 2 hours. My last smoke, i did provolone, muenster, mozz. colby, colby/jack, monteray/jack, and BRIE !

this link, shows how i did the brie.
                            http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=826

i did it for a freind in NYC, and sent it to him, he said the brie was WONDERFUL !

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

Looks like ya got a bunch of good answers here already, but ill chuck my .02 in. Swiss is good, Monterey Jack and Sharp Cheddar are my favorites. Make sure that you let the cheese set out till it softens up a lil bit or it wont take the smoke flavor as well. Cherry and apple are my favs for cheez pecan should be pretty good, Ive never tried it. After i let mine sit in a vacpac for a few days, ill put my cheez slicer on the lowest setting and trim the rind off, just cuz i dont like the texture, and save it for putting in something later. When i use my offset, i get 2 med size pcs of lump good and hot and then plop a few chips on them and let it go. Good luck with the cheez
                              Brian
                              http://www.youtube.com/user/btjohnson83
                              You can follow me on twitter at
                              http://www.twitter.com/btjohnson83

CGSP w/ mods
                              38" Smoke Hollow/early fathers day gift, yay!
                              wally world kettle grill

Comment

Working...
                              X