Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's alive...

It's ugly, it's a drum, and it's a smokin' ! It's my UDS Rookie Edition

Now, if I can just figure out how to set the temp to 240*.....

Thanks for all the help to those who have helped me here!
    Last edited by Hannibal; 11-06-2010, 09:19 PM. Reason: I kant spel
    “Fairy tales don't teach children that monsters exist. Children already know that monsters exist.
    Fairy tales teach children that monsters can be killed.”
    - G. K. Chesterton

Char Griller 7474(w/SFB), UDS, WSJ Mini-drum conversion, MES 30

I think you use the valves on the bottom to regulate the temp.
    Looks good, now some FOOOD!!!
    Mark
    sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
    Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
      I think you use the valves on the bottom to regulate the temp.
      Looks good, now some FOOOD!!!
      Yeah, I was trying to see if someone knew how to set the digital auto temp thingy on the UDS.

Food comes tomorrow, and brother I can't wait. I am playing with temps and stuff tonight so that hopefully tomorrow's smoke is edible.
      “Fairy tales don't teach children that monsters exist. Children already know that monsters exist.
      - G. K. Chesterton

Comment

I know for sure that the top opening is to keep rain out only, wide open always. All I can help with.
        Mark
        sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
        Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

By the way, I now know what the shelves are for!

Tomorrow when I add the Tel Tru thermo I am going to rig a shelf for my digital thermos.
          - G. K. Chesterton

Comment

Man that's an ugly bassard! PERFECT! I'm gonna have one to play with soon...where's that temp control again?
            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
              I just turn my dial to 240* ..... Is there a different way to do it....

Just kiddin.... (kinda).... Nice work on the build.... I have yet to cook on one or mess around on one, but would love to
              some thyme in the future.... Let us know how it goes.... Sounds like once you figure them out, they can be pretty much
              "set it and forget it" units...
              sigpic

Comment

congrats... you are gonna love that beauty! I cant wait to get one, Jimmy's twins are just an amazing thing to smoke on..efficient is not even the word! I cant wait to hear how your first sail goes! Slainte!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

I am playing around with the temps now, it seems to be a little tricky to keep just right. It's been running hotter than I'd like for the last 3 1/2 hours or so, but when I tried dialing her down a bit, I seemed to have went too far.

But, that's what it's about right? I am trying to get a feel for it with a dry run in preperation for a nice smoke tomorrow. I'll be sure to post pics when I do.

Originally posted by Bbqgoddess View Post
                  congrats... you are gonna love that beauty! I cant wait to get one, Jimmy's twins are just an amazing thing to smoke on..efficient is not even the word! I cant wait to hear how your first sail goes! Slainte!
                  Back at ya!

- G. K. Chesterton

Comment

Looks great!!

Trial and error, my friend, trial and error.

And patience. When you make a valve change, leave it alone for 20 to 30 minutes to give it a chance to react and settle in. And don't try to keep it rock solid on a single temp. If you want 240°, and it's wandering between 230° to 250°, let it go.

Keep it on a short leash but let it wander some.

Dave
                    CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                    UDS 1.0
                    Afterburner
                    Weber Performer
                    Blue Thermapen
                    Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                    Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                    Auber Smoker Controller
                    Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                    -
                    "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                      I just turn my dial to 240* ..... Is there a different way to do it....

Just kiddin.... (kinda).... Nice work on the build.... I have yet to cook on one or mess around on one, but would love to
                      some thyme in the future.... Let us know how it goes.... Sounds like once you figure them out, they can be pretty much
                      "set it and forget it" units...

Fish I wanna help out that woman in your sig if you don't mind.... I can turn the dial if needed... Your * is not a proper sign ya know...

BTW, Hannibal, Nice job and yet another project added to the list...

Comment

With the shelf and Tel Tru thermo added:

I was having some issues with temp control last night, so I thought I would try it again today. Its still running hot.

A PM from Dave gave me a clue as to what I might be doing wrong.

I'll try his advice and see where I end up. Good thing I bought extra charcoal.

Hopefully I can tame this beast in time to smoke my brisky.
                        - G. K. Chesterton

Comment

A PM from Dave gave me a clue as to what I might be doing wrong.

I'll try his advice and see where I end up. Good thing I bought extra charcoal.
                          If the temp you reported to me in your PM came from the dial thermo, you'll need to add 40 to 50° to that for the actual center temp. On the temps I gave you to experiment with, you'll want them measured at the center of the drum with a digital thermo. The temps as measured by a dial thermo on the side will be low and slower to react than the actual center drum temp and not very useful during warmup due to the time it takes for the drum to fully warm up.

On mine, with the short stemmed Teltru guage, a running temp of 190° to 200° is about 240ish in the center. For the most part, I have been using a 12" deep fry thermo in my UDS lately.

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3732

It doesn't look as good as my Teltru though but gives more accurate information.

Dave
                          CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                          UDS 1.0
                          Afterburner
                          Weber Performer
                          Blue Thermapen
                          Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                          Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                          Auber Smoker Controller
                          Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                          -
                          "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

I was having some issues with temp control last night, so I thought I would try it again today. Its still running hot.
                            Not to seem too repetitive... but maybe that heat deflector idea?
                            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Congrats on this build, Mine's still not finished and I think she may even be a bit uglyer

Comment

Working...
                              X