Scored Some Apple Wood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scored Some Apple Wood

Local orchard was selling some wood. Pretty green the apple is, but I picked up a bin for later use. Don't know if it is a good price or not.

Custom Reverse Flow Smoker, WSM 22", Blackstone Griddle 36"

mmmmm Apple........ I've only started using it again recently, kinda forgot how much I do like it.... I buy the chunks in bags, so not sure about your price, but sure like the wood for smoking
    sigpic

Comment

How big was the bin steve....I figure the bags are a couple bucks(havent bought a bag in at least ten years....

Another thing is you know its the real deal....I Had some bad experiences with bag wood...Yellow smoke and weird stuff....

Comment

The bags I buy are 242 cubic inches (they say).... About 3 pounds+-.... Cost $3 per bag on sale & $5 if not on sale.....
        sigpic

Comment

Here are some prices from a local retail place.......Apple is spendy. I definitely find better deals through craig's list and other resources, but here is a ball park for different varieties. There is a big demand for Apple, and consequently you pay for it...also, I think they slipped a digit on their graduations for apple...no way I would pay more for a 1/8 cord than a 1/4 cord...but that's just me.

Oak
          $242.00 Cord
          $135.00 1/2 Cord
          $81.00 1/4 Cord
          $38.00 1/8 cord

Hickory & Pecan
          $270.00 Cord
          $162.00 1/2 Cord
          $92.00 1/4 Cord
          $59.00 1/8 Cord

Cherry
          $286.00 Cord
          $178.00 1/2 Cord
          $108.00 1/4 Cord
          $70.00 1/8 Cord

Apple
          $380.00 Cord
          $270.00 1/2 Cord
          $135.00 1/4 Cord
          $165.00 1/8 Cord
          BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
          Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
          I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Originally posted by BBQ Engineer View Post
            Here are some prices from a local retail place.......Apple is spendy. I definitely find better deals through craig's list and other resources, but here is a ball park for different varieties. There is a big demand for Apple, and consequently you pay for it...also, I think they slipped a digit on their graduations for apple...no way I would pay more for a 1/8 cord than a 1/4 cord...but that's just me.

Oak
            $242.00 Cord
            $135.00 1/2 Cord
            $81.00 1/4 Cord
            $38.00 1/8 cord

Hickory & Pecan
            $270.00 Cord
            $162.00 1/2 Cord
            $92.00 1/4 Cord
            $59.00 1/8 Cord

Cherry
            $286.00 Cord
            $178.00 1/2 Cord
            $108.00 1/4 Cord
            $70.00 1/8 Cord

Apple
            $380.00 Cord
            $270.00 1/2 Cord
            $135.00 1/4 Cord
            $165.00 1/8 Cord
            Holy carp....I am real fortunate a friend up the road clears lots/land....He also BBQ's....Man...I feel better about the time it takes to process.....I can get a seasoned cord of oak for 100 bucks if i needed(i pick it up)

Comment

You got that whole box for 45.00. They said it is a 1/3 of a cord. Don't know. It was plenty for me for now. I have a cord of oak I really don't even want. Wish someone would come and pick it up...
              Custom Reverse Flow Smoker, WSM 22", Blackstone Griddle 36"

Comment

Originally posted by Cajunsmoke13 View Post
                You got that whole box for 45.00. They said it is a 1/3 of a cord. Don't know. It was plenty for me for now. I have a cord of oak I really don't even want. Wish someone would come and pick it up...
                Thats a good deal based on the prices bbq engineer posted....Yeah...I have about 10 cords of deadfall to drop around garden myself...Mainly white and red oak...

Comment

Earlier this year I purchased a pickup truck load of wood - Full Size bed, stacked tightly, and heaped up in the center, 1/2 Wild Cherry and 1/2 Pecan for $100.00.
                  BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
                  Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
                  I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                    mmmmm Apple........ I've only started using it again recently, kinda forgot how much I do like it.
                    To me... apple is the go-to/not sure what wood wood. I have never smoked anything with it and said "Hmmm wish I'd have used..."

Sure, hickory, oak and others have their place. Even mesquite I suppose for some- but you can't go wrong with apple.
                    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Working...
                    X