Just a "NORMAL" Compost Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just a "NORMAL" Compost Thread

I was finishing off this years leaf compost and snapped some pics..

I am just starting next years with leaves falling....

This 4x6x6 double shredded pile was started january 2009...It was finished that fall and double shredded last march for use next year....

Good chit

This is pile started january 2010...Original holder is 20 foot length of fencing in circle 4 feet high and refilled 3-4 times in first month of cooking....If i would just fill it up,by the time it settles in a week i would have 1/2 the end product...

As you can see not quite finished...

Here it is unwraped for turning and adding of alfalfa meal

Alfalfa meal provides nitrogen(heat) to break down carbon(leaves) much quicker....

I just do a light layer of meal every 2-3 inches...

Fluffed and into fence container

Layer of alfalfa

All done on a nice afternoon....Took 2 hours and 3 beeres..

Helper

This should heat to 120 or so in a few days...When i first start its not uncommon for pile to cruise at 150-160 degree for a month..

BEER-O-CLOCK

Next weeks project...Dropping and cutting up this big white oak(center of picture) that died this spring along garden border...

Last edited by ALX; 05-09-2011, 03:22 PM.

I love the visits to Alex's little slice of heaven up there. Thanks for the compost info.
    Keith

Comment

I don't know shit about composting (heh) but speaking of that--- would not a bushel or so of the horse's output be more efficient than it's input?
      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Very Cool!..... I have a lot to learn on gardening.... I'm glad we got the Botanists here to help me with my new Ranch & Garden area... (1/2 acre )
        sigpic

Comment

Cool stuff there Alex...That alfalfa is the good shit fer sure...ya wanna watch those temps because over 160 will kill the bacteria that makes it all work...Kinda crazy that their own overactivity is what will kill em...Keepin the C/N ratio in check is what makes it work........But you know all that...
          Craig
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
            I don't know shit about composting (heh) but speaking of that--- would not a bushel or so of the horse's output be more efficient than it's input?
            I just stick with the leaf rich...They pump these horses full of anti-biotics and alot of debate on that being in final product etc...I am not against animal pooh...I just have an abundance of leaves and my soil is built up to point that the leaf compost is all i need....Also,I like pure leaf with the nitrogen mixed in so i am not having to turn alot...Animal shit can burn threw the heat quicker and need turning replacing...When i have composted animal crap it's usually in its own pile....My neighbor has rabbits and he loves that composted wabbit crap in moderation..They have to watch the horse shit piles at the horse farm...Left alone they can burst into flames etc..

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
            Cool stuff there Alex...That alfalfa is the good shit fer sure...ya wanna watch those temps because over 160 will kill the bacteria that makes it all work...Kinda crazy that their own overactivity is what will kill em...Keepin the C/N ratio in check is what makes it work........But you know all that...
            Yeah...Craig...I go real light on alfalfa when starting piles...I can keep it about 150 degree on average for a month and usually turn and add water at 3 month point...I have measured a fresh shredded pile at 135 degree with nothing added...I do get a longer heat with alfalfa...Just have to watch how much...

You make excellent(as usual) point for the folks that dont do this much ....160 degree and above you start adversly effecting the good microbes and/or you enter a new therma profile of bacteria that kill good stuff...

Comment

I agree that the addition of manure isnt necessary...the risks outweigh the benefits...And there is very little difference, nutrient wise, between well made compost and composted animal manure...other than the fact of manure being too high in nitrogen if not "fully composted" which can burn tender young plants and adversly affect crop production throughout the season...Sticking with a program of composting gives much better controll of what youre adding to your soil...But you know that...
              Craig
              sigpic

Comment

Well, learn somethin' new every day. I DID know about some manures being very "hot" and waay high in nitrogen. Sure seen enough piles of the stuff aging so it could be used on the fields.
                In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Well, learn somethin' new every day. I DID know about some manures being very "hot" and waay high in nitrogen. Sure seen enough piles of the stuff aging so it could be used on the fields.
                  And when properly aged/composted it is still recomended to wait a month or so after tilling into the soil before planting.
                  Craig
                  sigpic

Comment

I agree that the addition of manure isnt necessary...the risks outweigh the benefits...And there is very little difference, nutrient wise, between well made compost and composted animal manure...other than the fact of manure being too high in nitrogen if not "fully composted" which can burn tender young plants and adversly affect crop production throughout the season...Sticking with a program of composting gives much better controll of what youre adding to your soil...But you know that...
                    I agree 100%...I think from our other discussions over years we are in agreement....Some folk ask why my piles are 16 months plus old before using...I like to age them a bit,but i also like to stay ahead so i aint in a rush to make compost etc...10 years ago my older brother and i grew a BIG garden and we needed 5 of these piles to keep up....Sure dont miss that work for a hobby(compost etc..)

In a big operation the manure is spread out much thinner on average etc.Another friend of mines has 100 acres and they spread the manure fresh from stalls on fields that the arabian ponies will be transfered too in 3 year intervals(the chit has 3 years or so to breakdown and feed orchard grass)..aint killed them in 80 plus years etc....My grandfather had 2000 acres and rotated crops with fields grazed(chit upon by cattle and some using mechanical manure spreader) and then cover cropped and then planted the 3rd year etc...

In an intensive gardening plot like mine(200x100 foot)...I worry more about overkill and introducing anything beyond what i need etc...I can definetly say i am 100% organic....Not that i need the certificate my buddy gives out once a farm/plot reaches that certification level....
                    Last edited by ALX; 11-13-2010, 05:04 PM.

Comment

Well... Well... well...Since I'm the Village Idiot & have gotten on the compost gig! Thanks to you Eugene! My lil wired up mess is doing right nice!...Ohh...time fer a shot of Jack! Ya'll really need ta get on this!
                      Sunset Eagle Aviation
                      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Here is a "thrilling" update.....

Had some heavy rain mid-week and covered pile...This tends to slow re-heat,but i am fine with this pile finishing nice and easy....

98 degree...Just about active again...She will prolly cruise 110-120 degree for a few months....

Todays project(i dint cut down white oak as my friend has the 3 foot bar for my chainsaw...next weeks project)....60 bags of shredded leaves from neighbors who use riding mowers with leaf collecting attachment

this is a 20 foot in length x 4 foot tall cage with landscape cloth to keep leaves in(it breathes etc..not plastic)

I do 3 bags and light layer of alfalfa meal...

Taking a break and this preying mantis climbed up me leg and was headed for me JUNK.... she has prolly made egg coccoon and about ready to die...

All done 60 bags later and 2 hours...

She will prolly be 140-160 degree next saturday for a month and then cruise 100-140 degree 3 months and then i will turn,add water and more alfalfa

I am basically doing what a forest floor does,but quicker...I also have veggie scrap and garden scrap piles i grow earthworms in to add to finished piles...

Beautiful day and the big oaks have lost about half dere junk so far...

One day i might just put lime stripes down cover cropped garden and get a football game together on that lush carpet....

Comment

I'll bet that cockeyed cat likes the warmth of the compost heap....

Comment

I always like seeing the pile after a snowstorm...no snow on it...steam rising through the air...
                            Craig
                            sigpic

Comment

I always like seeing the pile after a snowstorm...no snow on it...steam rising through the air...
                              yeah man....the pile i keep for my shredded mulch for landscaped plants was steaming thursday when it was 33 degree in morning......

Had 2 foot of snow plus last winter and that pile was clean on top(2010 gardencompost pile)...Guess its the little things....

Comment

Working...
                              X