Smoked Almond Recipes??????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoked Almond Recipes??????

What's your favorite way to smoke Almonds & with what wood ???? (Just noticed a 3# bag that needs to be opened... )
    sigpic

Here is one I have used and like a lot

Smoked Almonds
    2 TBS Butter
    2 TBS + T Tsp Tabasco
    1.5 Tsp Worstehire
    .5 Tsp Dry Mustard
    .75 Tsp Garlic Powder
    .75 granulated salt
    2 Cups Raw Almonds

Mix in bowl and let sit for 30 min - drain and add to aluminum pan with ridges to sit on rack - preheat oven to 225 with apple wood chunks

Smoke stirring every 30 min for 90 min

Season with the items below to finish

Pinch of smoked hickory salt at the finish
    Pinch of popcorn salt at the finish
    Scarbelly

Comment

This is Irish Tea Bears from a few years ago. Its good.

Use 1 lb. raw whole almonds. Dissolve 1 cup kosher salt in 2 cups boiling hot water (you'll not be able to dissolve it all) and cool to room temp. Put almonds in container that will hold the almonds (and all the salt water) with tight fitting lid and pour salt water over almonds, making sure to get all the salt that's left in to the container. Cover tightly, let sit 3 to 4 hours (lost track of time) shaking occasionally. Strain, spread almonds and salt out on paper towels and let dry while heating smoker. Cover your rack with aluminum foil, punch lots of little holes for the smoke to penetrate through. Spread almonds and salt evenly on rack. Smoke for 3 hours (I used hickory) at 220 - 250. Stir about halfway through. I preferr 250, dries them out and makes them crunchier. Remove from smoker, spread them out to let them cool. You'll hear them making some cracking noises, lol. Once they're cool, gently brush as much excess salt off of them as you want. Hubby likes them really salty, kids and I don't. Store in airtight container if they last that long, lol. You can use the excess salt, it's smoked!
      Stay thirsty my friends!!

Comment

Scott I use a recipie similar to Dawns but with half the salt...To the hot brine I add some dried hot peppers and cover...While the brine is still hot I add the nuts and soak overnight...Drain the nuts and put on a pan in the smoker...240 degrees till done...hickory or pecan is prefered...

Thanks for reminding me that I got 2# waiting for the treatment
        Craig
        sigpic

Comment

I just made some last night
          5# of almonds
          6 cups of water 2 cups of salt boiled to dissolve
          in 1 bowl i put 4# and the other I put 1# of the almond divided the salt water perportionatly
          then to the 1# I add about a cup of that rooster sauce you know that hot chinese sauce
          then they sat over night on the counter stir when i rememberd to after 24 hours I put them in foil pans that i poke full of holes and into the smoker @ 250 untill dry
          the hot ones turn out great
          I split the salted ones in half took the one half heated up a nostick pan threw in a 1/3 stick of butter 1/2 cup white suger and a 1/2cup of brown and the half of salted almond got a nice candy coating on them,I better get them wraped up for gifts or I will be making more
          sigpicbrinkman pitmaster deluxe
          members mark upright propane smoker
          kingsford bbq
          23"weber kettle

Comment

well I've just cleared about 4 inches of snow off the smoker for the christmas nut smoke.

I've tried a variety of brines and no longer use that method.
            I just hot smoke the nuts nekkid, and then lightly does with very finely ground salt afterwards.

My taste panel declare this produces much better nuts than the soaking meyhod.
            And obviously you can fine grind any mix of salt and spices to sprinkle.

I'll probably do a batch with chilli for the next door neighbours (indians :-)

But seriously consider trying a batch without all the brining and soaking beforehand. less hassle, at least as good results.

Pics later, gotta get my charcoal lit before it all gets covered in snow again lol :-)
            Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
            Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Working...
            X