Planted Next Years Garlic this Afternoon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planted Next Years Garlic this Afternoon

I make a 50 foot in length by 2 foot wide raised bed....I take a 10 inch wide flat shovel and make a 4 inch deep trench and add fertilizer to bottom...I then mix removed soil 50-50 with my compost and refill....

50 foot raised bed....My crappy camera makes distance look short and close-ups huge...

I plant the cloves 6x6x6 inch apart in trench i make down middle..I will have 200 bulbs of garlic after curing..Usually pull from garden late june-early july...

I only use the biggest cloves from the prior years crop...I dont buy garlic,beans or peas...Just dry enough for next year(that i dont eat)

Hardneck

Softneck

Plant and gently pat dirt over firmly

I use tomato and pepper cages over-top to discourage the foxes from digging into raised beds(works)

I will cover with straw in month for winter...The bottom roots will grow a bit and then top growth will start early march for a jump on season

Also planted 12 broccoli and brussels few months back...This head should be ready by sunday...

Love the garden pics. Can't wait to get started.
    sigpic

Comment

Damn it dude...I wont even be able to think about mine till 3-6 weeks from now...when the doc cuts me loose...got screwed last year by the weather...Had to buy new seed stock for this year...I better be able to plant it or Im gonna be pissed!
      Craig
      sigpic

Comment

Sweet...love me some garlic
        Custom Reverse Flow Smoker, WSM 22", Blackstone Griddle 36"

Comment

Way to go Alex! I do mine too, not as many as you, but I love growing my own stuff. (My degree is in horticulture). Fresh veggies cannot be beat. I did alot of butter beans and purple hull peas this year. I also did some black beans. Can't wait to make some black bean soup. I did a cold smoke on some of them while they were still fresh and then let them dry. Haven't tried any yet though.

Nice garden spot ya got going!

Comment

Uhh....The Village Idiot sure likes the G'lick... Nice stuff Myron! Was looking at a site this weekend about Dilled Garlic....mmmm....
            Sunset Eagle Aviation
            https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

sweet, looking good a ever. garlic makes food soooo gooder..
              sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
              nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyote View Post
                sweet, looking good a ever. garlic makes food soooo gooder..
                Exactly...what he said.
                Mark
                sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Thats cool as hell to be able to grow your own garlic and stuff nice!!

Comment

Originally posted by Pandemonium View Post
                    Thats cool as hell to be able to grow your own garlic and stuff nice!!
                    Yeah...Man....In the old days the indicas never got me in as much trouble as the still.....Freaking helicopters(more to do with me indicas)...
                    Last edited by ALX; 11-18-2010, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Great looking garden Alx - cant wait to see the harvest on that one
                      Scarbelly

Comment

Freakin copters...
                        And all cause of a few indicas...
                        Craig
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X