Bassmans Starter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bassmans Starter

Got some of Keiths starter and gave it a couple of runs - we already had the one from Friends of Carl but wanted to give Keiths a shot. Here are the first two runs with it
    Regular sourdough and some cinnamon raisin
    Attached Files
    Scarbelly

Wow... purty stuff there! Pass a hunk of the cinnimon before I empty the coffee pot here please!
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Very VERY nice. Nice and golden loaves, gots to make me some soon.
      And that raisin bread, man I could go for some of that right now with coffee. Looks awesome.
      https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

Looks good, what is this starter?

Comment

Scar you make that look so easy...I got some of Toms starter a long while back...Starter is great but my skills as a baker SUCK...Still keeping the starter alive... Smells better all the time...But I couldnt make a loaf of bread to save my @ss........
          Craig
          sigpic

Comment

nice loaves man....

Comment

Pro Job Gary!!!!
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
                Scar you make that look so easy...I got some of Toms starter a long while back...Starter is great but my skills as a baker SUCK...Still keeping the starter alive... Smells better all the time...But I couldnt make a loaf of bread to save my @ss........
                It is really not that hard - I have Mrs Scar do it
                Scarbelly

Comment

Originally posted by Scarbelly View Post

Comment

It is really not that hard - that's why I have Mrs Scar

no comment...........

btw - nice loaves..
                    sigpic
                    it's all good my friend..........

Comment

Very nice, Gary! I've got a batch going right now. We are simply hooked on the stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Pandemonium View Post
                        Looks good, what is this starter?
                        Basically, it is a concoction of flour, water and yeast that is kept in the fridge. Mine is about 2 cups. When it comes time to make bread, you take a bit of this and make up what is called a "sponge", which is nothing more than water and flour. The starter contains the yeast, and by adding the additional flour and water, you are providing food for the yeast. This ferments for several hours and lets the yeast multiply.

When it comes time make bread, you remove some of the "sponge" and add it back to your original starter and put that back in the fridge where the yeast will go somewhat dormant until you need it again.

You take the remaining sponge and add things like flour, salt, and other ingredients for making bread. Basically you are now making your bread dough.

What scarbelly said he got from bassman was a dried starter. It was starter spread out over something like parchment paper until it dries and becomes flaky and sent to him. When you get it, you reconstitute it into a usable portion for making bread I think I explained that right.
                        https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

Smart man
                          sigpic
                          New Braunfels Bandera
                          New Braunfels Hondo
                          4-22.5" Weber Kettles
                          1-26" Weber Kettle
                          24"X72" Reverse Flow-Made in the U.S.A. by me
                          Navy Corpsman-'69-'73 Semper Fi

https://www.facebook.com/highrollersbbq/

Comment

Originally posted by Meat Hunter View Post
                            Basically, it is a concoction of flour, water and yeast that is kept in the fridge. Mine is about 2 cups. When it comes time to make bread, you take a bit of this and make up what is called a "sponge", which is nothing more than water and flour. The starter contains the yeast, and by adding the additional flour and water, you are providing food for the yeast. This ferments for several hours and lets the yeast multiply.

When it comes time make bread, you remove some of the "sponge" and add it back to your original starter and put that back in the fridge where the yeast will go somewhat dormant until you need it again.

You take the remaining sponge and add things like flour, salt, and other ingredients for making bread. Basically you are now making your bread dough.

What scarbelly said he got from bassman was a dried starter. It was starter spread out over something like parchment paper until it dries and becomes flaky and sent to him. When you get it, you reconstitute it into a usable portion for making bread I think I explained that right.
                            Cool thanks fer the explanation

Comment

Oh Man! Real nice!...Got my starter from Tom...Gunslinger! Spun some off to my daughter....Gig is awesome!
                              Sunset Eagle Aviation
                              https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Working...
                              X