Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• quick post - streaky/american bacon versus english bacon

Sliced up a bunch of bacon today.

So that's the difference. English back bacon comprises the loin and a part of the belly. Over here we just call it 'Bacon' much like streaky bacon in the states is just called 'bacon'.

Told you this was a quick post :-)
    Attached Files
    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
    Just call me 'One Grind'

I would like a serving of each please...
    Craig
    sigpic

Comment

weeell it's vacpacked and cured - should post okay :-)
      Hell this stuff has been curing for at least a month, just haven't got around to slicing till today.

We had some of the streaky fried up with some wild mushrooms from the farmers market we went to this morning.
      fried up together and on toast -

The little bits I've been eating taste just like parma ham.
      Even bilbo ate some - and he don't usually like raw meat.
      Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

I don't care what you call it, it looks fantastic
        JT

Comment

WOW!.... That's what I wanna make...... What cut am I looking for? Or is this something I would have to have the butcher cut?..... I like the idea of more meat & minimal fat
          sigpic

Comment

I wish the stuff they sold in stores looked like the stuff you have for American bacon, that stuff looks FANTASTIC!!
            ~Phillip

"Okay Hunny, so my hobby is collecting other hobbies. Atleast I'm well rounded!"

Comment

Originally posted by ptt49er View Post
              I wish the stuff they sold in stores looked like the stuff you have for American bacon, that stuff looks FANTASTIC!!
              LOL, no kidding. Take that bacon CA that you call American Bacon, and reverse the meat and fat values. Then you will have the American Bacon they sell here. That is some of the meatiest American Bacon I have seen.
              Damm foreigners. They always get the good stuff
              https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

I use the belly from costco.
                It does make a difference that all their pork is from freedom food approved animals.
                More room to move = more muscle and less fat.
                This batch does look great :-)

scott - you can get back bacon in certain parts of north america - you call it Irish Bacon.

But essentially it's the full loin without the belly cut off.

It's the main reason pork loin is so expensive in england - most of it goes for bacon.
                Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                  It's the main reason pork loin is so expensive in england - most of it goes for bacon.
                  Really, I don't see much difference in that stuff and BBB. Yaah, different meat, but meat/lean ratio wise I mean.
                  In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                  Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                  Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                    Really, I don't see much difference in that stuff and BBB. Yaah, different meat, but meat/lean ratio wise I mean.
                    yep - but bbb is totally non-uniform.
                    You tend to get irregular lumps of bbb rather than even identical slices.

And with all things to do with bacon the aesthetic is part of it.

For cooked sandwich ham I'll use shoulder joints. for sunday-go-to-meeting ham slices (visitors lol) I'll use a boned leg joint.

But for frying up for bacon it's either belly or loin.
                    Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

There is an English pub close to our house that serves the Irish bacon…a side of this with corned beef hash and fried eggs with a good pint of ale and Sunday breakfast turns into Sunday nap time. Now if all the soccer fans would quit hanging out at the pub I could watch football with my Sunday breakfast!

Comment

lol what you actually mean is all the football fans hang out there and you wish you could watch American Football.
                        English pub - english rules

And for the next month I think you'll find it's the rugby fans hanging out there !

We stuffed the welsh tonight !
                        Oh yeah the 6 nations tournament is off to a VERY good start. Johnno's back on form, floods kicking almost as well and nobody got stretchered off !
                        All together now: swing looooww sweet chariooott......
                        Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                          lol what you actually mean is all the football fans hang out there and you wish you could watch American Football.
                          English pub - english rules

And for the next month I think you'll find it's the rugby fans hanging out there !

We stuffed the welsh tonight !
                          Oh yeah the 6 nations tournament is off to a VERY good start. Johnno's back on form, floods kicking almost as well and nobody got stretchered off !
                          All together now: swing looooww sweet chariooott......
                          Huh, wad he say?
                          Mark
                          sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                          Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Man I could munch on any of that
                            2-22.5'' weber
                            1-18'' weber
                            1 smokey joe
                            22.5'' wsm
                            24'' smoke vault
                            1-outhouse
                            Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
                            Smoked meathead #135

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
                              Huh, wad he say?
                              lmao.

Last night was the start of the six nations rugby union championship.
                              england, ireland, scotland, wales, france and italy. Basically play a round robin tournament for the next couple of months.

The opening game was between england and wales and we stuffed them !

Englands long time hero johnny wilkonson is back from injury and looked good.
                              He's the top points scorer in international rugby of all time. Mans got a boot that turns any rugby ball into a guided missile.
                              Englands other kicker - toby flood was also on superb form as well, winning man of the match.

For some reason - don't think anyone knows quite why. The english rugby fans sing 'swing low sweet chariot' when england is playing well.
                              And that's about 30'000 english fans singing it in the Millenium stadium in cardiff last night.
                              There's nothing quite like beating the welsh (except beating the french) to make an englishmans heart sing

Got ireland and italy and franch and scotland matches today.
                              Normally you'd expect france to stuff the scots but they did beat south africa last year so who knows.
                              Ireland an italy is going to be a slaughter - good day to have shares in guinness.

Lotta bacon sandwiches being eaten last night in england (and you didn't thnk it was relevant lol)
                              Bacon sarnie is major stadium food, after hours drinking food, queuing up in the rain to get into stadium food.
                              The bacon sandwich would probably be the english national dish if it wasn't chicken tikka masala (true).

Black bacon thread coming soon.....
                              Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Working...
                              X