Spice mill/grinder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spice mill/grinder?

I'm in need of a spice mill or grinder. What do you all recommend? I've had an old electric coffee bean grinder for several years, but it doesn't work all that well and it's a beach to clean up without getting things rusty. Thanks in advance

I do the coffee bean grinder route & it works good..... Waring brand.
    sigpic

Comment

Yup, I too use a cheap ole electric coffee bean grinder I picked up at Wal-Mart. Works great.
      A toothpick and a q tip work well to clean it out well.
      https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

Can't remember where I got mine but it's a Melitta coffee bean grinder. The inside part is stainless and it cleans up easy
        sigpic
        New Braunfels Bandera
        New Braunfels Hondo
        4-22.5" Weber Kettles
        1-26" Weber Kettle
        24"X72" Reverse Flow-Made in the U.S.A. by me
        Navy Corpsman-'69-'73 Semper Fi

https://www.facebook.com/highrollersbbq/

Comment

I buy used electric coffee grinders at Goodwill for a couple bucks for large amounts of grinding, like when I'm doing dried ingredients for rubs, but for fresh table and cooking, I like the Kuhn Rikon Vase Spice Grinder. I like the fact that you just pop an insert in it to grind what ever spices, herbs, salts or peppers you want. You can buy extra inserts and store your seasonings in them fresh until needed. It's really handy. I keep the grinder right on the table with inserts holding sea salt, peppercorns and dried cayenne peppers.
          You can see it at Amazon.com at the links below and it qualifies for free shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/Kuhn-Rikon-Spi...tag=dogpile-20

http://www.amazon.com/Kuhn-Rikon-Gri...ref=pd_sim_k_1

Comment

We went to a burr mill grinder for coffee, and retired the whirly type of grinder so I inherited that for spices. It is just an el cheapo coffee grinder...Braun brand I think. It does the trick and besides, if it pisses me off, it is disposeable too!
            BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
            Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
            I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

I use a burr mill grinder for peppers and rubs...the peppers go in a blender first and the burr mill turns em into powder...Its a pain to clean but does a real good job...
              Craig
              sigpic

Comment

I like the Goodwill grinders for spices, too...if they die, yer only out a couple bux. I don't get too excited about cleaning them too well if they're only for spices...just unplug and wipe out with a paper towel.

Comment

Originally posted by Earache_My_Eye View Post
                  I like the Goodwill grinders for spices, too...if they die, yer only out a couple bux. I don't get too excited about cleaning them too well if they're only for spices...just unplug and wipe out with a paper towel.

Yeah, usually when I've been grinding peppers in my coffee grinder I'll throw a small handful of instant rice in it and whirl it into a powder then wipe it out with a paper towel. That absorbs all the capsaicin oils from the peppers in case I want to use it for something else.

Comment

Originally posted by MichChef View Post
                    Yeah, usually when I've been grinding peppers in my coffee grinder I'll throw a small handful of instant rice in it and whirl it into a powder then wipe it out with a paper towel. That absorbs all the capsaicin oils from the peppers in case I want to use it for something else.
                    Cool...this is a good idea...Thanks...
                    Craig
                    sigpic

Comment

magic bullet & magic bullet clone (much cheaper) mini blenders are brilliant for grinding spices.

5 seconds later.

This is what I use: Don't know if you can get them in tha states. basically a full magic bullet set with extra seals for about 1/3rd the price of the magic bullet branded product.

Clean up is literally just rinsing out the container and blade and drying.
                      Brilliant bit of kit and a lot more versatile than a standard coffee or spice grinder.

The top blade is the one I use for just about everything from milkshakes (freeze the fruit and you don't need to add ice) to spice grinding.
                      I only use the other blade for sauces or soft stuff.

And yes it will do coffee as well.

I've had it a couple of years now and it's seen some serious usage. Blades and seal seem as good as when I got it.
                      When it eventually dies I'll get another one as quick as can be - just an essential piece of kitchen equipment.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by curious aardvark; 11-24-2010, 07:55 AM.
                      Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                      Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Thanks for the idea CA. Unfortunately I'm not seeing where I can order one except from the UK. The unit is only $36, but shipping is nearly $100. Looks like I can get the Magic Bullet Express 17-piece set for about $40 plus shipping. Only problem is I don't really have room to store all that comes with it, so I might just have to go with a simple coffee grinder. Glad you chimed in though because I was curious about the magic bullet!

Comment

Originally posted by MichChef View Post
                          The best ideas are the simplest. Brilliant!
                          JT

Comment

I know this is a dirty word, but "wal-mart" may have what you need or K-mart they both seem to carry alot of the TV promo stuff
                            sigpicbrinkman pitmaster deluxe
                            members mark upright propane smoker
                            kingsford bbq
                            23"weber kettle

Comment

Originally posted by donnylove View Post
                              Thanks for the idea CA. Unfortunately I'm not seeing where I can order one except from the UK. The unit is only $36, but shipping is nearly $100. Looks like I can get the Magic Bullet Express 17-piece set for about $40 plus shipping. Only problem is I don't really have room to store all that comes with it, so I might just have to go with a simple coffee grinder. Glad you chimed in though because I was curious about the magic bullet!
                              lol know what you mean I've only ever used: the two standard containers and the milk shake cups. There's a jug, 2 more cups a juicer and a some other stuff in abox tucked out of the way.

However with the magic bullet you can just buy the bullet, blades and standard containers without all the extraneous junk :-)
                              I've seen deals on us websites.

Closest thing I've seen in coffee grinders was this thing:
                              black and decker from wallmart

Cheap, well made and works the same way as the magicbullets :-)

Or this hamilotn beach one
                              Cheaper, larger container and more 5 star reviews :-)

I don't care what anyone says - I love walmart
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by curious aardvark; 11-24-2010, 09:32 AM.
                              Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                              Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Working...
                              X