Cider help requested

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cider help requested

Thanks to Meat Hunter's Cider post, I plan on starting a batch very soon. Problem?
    I know exactly nothing about how to do it.
    Found an on line source for equip.
    Plenty of apple orchards around here and they are havesting right now.
    I also want to get into beer, wine and alcohol distilling eventially, so if I can purchase stuff that will have multiple uses, I don't mind spending up a little for the right equipment.
    So far here's the plan; Go out this weekend and find some freshly pressed, from the orchard, apple juice.
    My question; What do I do next?
    I know, I know, thats a newbie question. Not asking for the entire instruction book and I'm not expecting anyone to spend 5 hours on the computer explaining it all to me. I can do the leg work on the computer.
    But if any of you can recommend some resources, starting equipment or a good beginners site. And maybe Identify what NOT to do, I figue that'll give me a good head start.
    Thanks, any and all comments welcome and Hyjacking permitted(sometimes I learn more from the hyjacks)

JT
    JT

Well you certainly picked another fun hobby. Especially if you get into homebrewing your own beer.

Here is a good online tutorial for you.

http://makinghardcider.com/rack-bottle.html

If you have a homebrew supply store, you will need to go there and get yourself some yeast. If you want to have carbonated cider, you will need to pick up a bag of DME, dried malt extract. Equipment needed are going to be food grade hose for transferring cider from one vessel to the other. One-Step sanitizer, (can use bleach as well). An airlock with stopper. Bottles, bottle brush and a capper. If you plan on venturing into the world of making your own beer, get a good one, the kind that stands up, other wise they make a cheaper one that will get you by as well.

The glass vessels, or carboys used can be as big as 6 gallons for your primary, which you will want if moving up to beer, or you can do smaller batches of cider in one gallon glass jugs. You can even get a 3 gallon carboy. Most brew shops carry them, but you can also get them from the places that deliver bottled water. Some people use plastic carboys. They are cheaper and lighter and won't shatter when dropped, but they do not last forever. They will get scratches in them and that leaves you open to bacteria.

Cleanliness is paramount when brewing. No such thing as being overly cautious when it comes to having a clean work area and equipment.

I'm here if you wanna pm me with questions, I'll be happy to help ya.
    https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

Sounds good MH, thanks, two first questions; Will I need to ferment inside or can I do it outside? This time of year it ranges between 40-65 outside. Second question is, what product should I be looking for at the orchards? Like pasturized? filtered, unfiltered? ect.
      JT

Comment

Originally posted by Whisky Fish View Post
        Sounds good MH, thanks, two first questions; Will I need to ferment inside or can I do it outside? This time of year it ranges between 40-65 outside. Second question is, what product should I be looking for at the orchards? Like pasturized? filtered, unfiltered? ect.
        With fermentation, you want to keep a steady temp or the yeast can spin off flavors into your brew so I would go inside where it can be controlled a bit. 65-72 are good ranges for cider, but depending on what yeast strain you use, that can vary. If house hold temps fluctuate, placing the glass carboy in a large tub of water that is at the ambient temp of the room, will give overall mass and help reduce temp fluctuation.

As far as apple juice from an orchard, first and foremost, don't buy any that contain chemical preservatives, it will kill your yeast and it will not ferment.
        Cold pasteurized is best and raw cider is great but may be hard to find.
        It is also best if available to get a few different jugs from different apple varieties IF they do that. Makes for a better flavor profile.

One thing I forgot to tell you is that you will also need to get a hydrometer and a gratuated cylinder to use with it. This is for checking your specific gravity both beginning, middle and end. This way you can figure out what % of alcohol you have.

Be warned, stepping into the world of brewing can be every bit as addicting as smoking meats. I kid you not

On edit, I wanted to tell you that no matter what cider you get, make sure that it is made from PICKED apples, and not drops. Drops being the ones that they, well, dropped from the trees then the orchard gathers them and sells them a discount. Usually used for baking. This is especially true if you find RAW unfiltered, pasteurized apple juice.
        Last edited by Meat Hunter; 11-25-2010, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Thanks again. Good tips. We'll be going to See canyon, they are famous locally for the apple orchards so getting different varieties should be no problem and I suspect raw cider will probably be available.
          I'll let you know what we find.

Thanks again
          JT
          JT

Comment

Cool. Your gonna like it. I added to my last post. See the on edit I did.

Comment

Right then!...Get on it...Head Bangers Ball!...That gig hurts...Da Melon...
              Sunset Eagle Aviation
              https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Okay, Here's what I got so far;

Went to some local orchards and found fresh pressed apple cider. 2 gallons Unpastuerised, blend with 5 apple varieties.
                Delicious!
                So this morning I ordered the following;

Campden Tablets (potassium metabisulfite) - 100 Tablets
                8316 $3.25

Ordered: 1
                $3.25

Cider Activator Wyeast ACT4766- 4.25 oz.
                ACT4766 $5.75

$5.75

Carboy Brush
                6530 $4.75

$4.75

Star San- 16oz
                7962 $11.95

$11.95

One Step - 8 oz.
                7820 $4.95

$4.95

3 Gallon glass carboy
                6023 $23.95

Ordered: 2
                $47.90

Airlock S-Bubble type
                6001 $1.00

$2.00

Rubber Stopper- Size 6.5- Drilled
                6120 $0.60

$1.20

Rubber Stopper- Size 7- Drilled
                6130 $0.90

Ordered: 4
                $3.60

Small Tubing clamp
                6940 $0.50

$0.50

Large Tubing Clamp
                6941 $1.50

$1.50

3/8" siphon tubing, per foot
                6910 $0.55

Ordered: 6
                $3.30

CASE OF 12 - 16 oz. EZ Cap Bottles - AMBER

I'll get the larger Carboys if this isn't a total disaster Anything else I've missed?
                JT

Comment

and the addiction begins.....

You are on your way brother.

And you have a great yeast strain to start with on this too. I tried to get that one but our brew shop did not have it in stock.

See about getting a hydrometer and cylinder to check you gravity.
                  Did they explain the use of the campden tablets to you as far as when to pitch the yeast?

5 Gallons of brew = 640 oz.
                  11 - 12oz bottles per gal.
                  8 - 16oz per gal.

Comment

Originally posted by Meat Hunter View Post
                    and the addiction begins.....

You are on your way brother.

And you have a great yeast strain to start with on this too. I tried to get that one but our brew shop did not have it in stock.

See about getting a hydrometer and cylinder to check you gravity.
                    Did they explain the use of the campden tablets to you as far as when to pitch the yeast?

5 Gallons of brew = 640 oz.
                    11 - 12oz bottles per gal.
                    8 - 16oz per gal.
                    Glad to hear about the yeast strain as that was the only one they had that specified "cider"
                    As for the camden, yeah it was explained as one of the first things to do.
                    I've got a refractometer at work that I use for specific gravity on battery acid. I'm assuming it will work for this as well(should be able to avoid cross contaminating). Specific gravity is specific gravity right?
                    JT

Comment

Originally posted by Whisky Fish View Post
                      I've got a refractometer at work that I use for specific gravity on battery acid. I'm assuming it will work for this as well(should be able to avoid cross contaminating). Specific gravity is specific gravity right?
                      You will not get the same reading with a refractometer as you would a hydrometer. The alcohol in the brew skews the readings.. There are online conversion calculators for this when using them as some people do use them in brewing. I'll see if I can locate a calculator for this.

Comment

Check this out.

http://morebeer.com/learn_vids/vids_refract

2 links at the bottom for download. I would use the one for wine in this case.

Comment

Downloaded both of them, thanks again!
                          JT

Comment

Working...
                          X