Looks Like Canadian Bacon Is In My Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looks Like Canadian Bacon Is In My Future

The wife and I went to Sams to renew my Business membership.. We went buzzing through the store for a few items.. The butcher was placing out some pork loins.. I seen one 2 footer he pulled out of the box.. I started to gravitate that direction..

Took a peek in the cooler and seen this bad boy... It was screaming Smoke Me!!! Make Bacon...

So Into the cart it went... Now I will have to wait till next weekend to cure it..Gives me time to look at some new recipes..
    Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Jeez that's a biggie...
    Hmm product of Canada, United States? Where is that anyhow?
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Man oh man, nice chunk AND nice price. nice find

Comment

MMM bacon
        2-22.5'' weber
        1-18'' weber
        1 smokey joe
        22.5'' wsm
        24'' smoke vault
        1-outhouse
        Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
        Smoked meathead #135

Comment

Nice hunk of meat. Ya know, you did the chicken paprikas....If you try the paprika bacon, you'll be one step closer to being hunky.......
          sigpic

Comment

TH, they're the same price here at Sam's. I just picked up a 9.80 pounder yesterday and got it curing already. I'm using Shooter Rick's recipe just because it sounds better that Rytek Kutas' brine method. Good luck with yours.
            sigpic
            Smoke Vault 24

Comment

WOW you will be in CB for awhile. Good luck, wife likes the CBP the best so far, but it is all good.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bassman View Post
                TH, they're the same price here at Sam's. I just picked up a 9.80 pounder yesterday and got it curing already. I'm using Shooter Rick's recipe just because it sounds better that Rytek Kutas' brine method. Good luck with yours.
                What is shooter ricks recipe must have missed that.

Comment

I did a 5 lb CB a while back....well i guess it must have been a dream cuz i dont have proof 5lbs is a hell of a lot of CB, with 10, id prolly donate to half of the neighborhood! I think i paid like 16 and change for a 5.75 lb loin. Sweet score!
                  Last edited by smokin365; 03-15-2009, 02:26 AM. Reason: Fat fingers on a small keyboard
                  Brian
                  http://www.youtube.com/user/btjohnson83
                  You can follow me on twitter at
                  http://www.twitter.com/btjohnson83

CGSP w/ mods
                  38" Smoke Hollow/early fathers day gift, yay!
                  wally world kettle grill

Comment

Originally posted by rtom View Post
                    What is shooter ricks recipe must have missed that.
                    Here's the recipe. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Shooters’ Canadian Bacon Dry Cure Recipe
                    1 TBS Morton’s Tender Quick per pound of trimmed meat
                    1 tsp Raw Sugar per pound of meat

Mix and combine well with the above cure. Remember that all must be used on each cut to ensure the proper and safe amount of cure. If multiple meat cuts are used it must be mixed for each individual cut.

Mix the following per pound of trimmed meat.
                    1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper
                    1 tsp Basil dried
                    1 tsp Onion Powder
                    1 tsp Garlic Powder
                    1 tsp Hungarian Paprika
                    1 tsp Course Black Pepper

Rub meat well with mixture and place in zip lock bag. Any remaining rub left behind should be scraped into bag. Place bag in refrigerator turning bag over daily. The temperature of your refrigerator should be below 40 degrees but above 33 degrees. The meat will feel firm when cured. Remove meat from bag after curing, rinse, and place uncovered in refrigerator overnight or until dry. Fry a thin center cut slice and if to salty rinse again in cold water for 1-2 hrs, changing water every 20 minutes. A few quartered raw potatoes in the water will absorb salt quickly. Dry again and smoke to internal temp of 140. You must cook before serving.

Note: If you smoke to an internal temp of 160 you may eat uncooked. You may glaze during the smoking process with honey, mustard, or maple syrup, if desired.

Curing times:
                    You should figure 1 day cure time per ¼ inch from center of meat out. In other words measure the total thickness of the meat and divide by 2. Divide this result by 0.25. The result of this is the minimum number of days suggested to cure.

Comment

mmm... thats gonna be good... keep us posted...

sigpic

Comment

thanks for the recipe bassman

Comment

I just picked up a 9+ lber the other day that will meet the same fate. I am looking forward to seeing your CB.
                          KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

Hmm product of Canada, United States? Where is that anyhow?
                            Ask a canadian lol - then run !

Looks like great loin though - regardless of how confused it is about it's nationality ;-)
                            So why you waiting to cure it ?
                            Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                            Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                              Ask a canadian lol - then run !

Looks like great loin though - regardless of how confused it is about it's nationality ;-)
                              So why you waiting to cure it ?

My oldest son is home from the Air Force this week, Then I will be heading to Central Texas to my hunting property this weekend..I will put it in a cure Sunday when I get back... Then back to work next week..And maybe I will find time to smoke it the 29th...

No time to smoke it during the week..
                              Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Working...
                              X