Smoked Gator Tatare...Salsa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoked Gator Tatare...Salsa

Well yesterday I was headed over to a buddy's house for the Fla. Fla St. game. He is a big Gator fan and I'm a Noles fan, so I'm thinkin what could be better than bringing some smoked chopped gator for an appetizer.
    So off I go the the seafood store to see if I can find some gator. Don't ya know...they had some. @ $12 a pound.
    So here we have the gator marinating in my (Dad's) smoked fish sauce.

Then we got it on the kettle smoker for about 2.5 hours. Like the tin foil baffle on the bottom.

After the 2.5 hours @225-250F

And on to the cutting board with the "Tartare" sauce.

Chopped up and into the sauce with the chopped celery and tomatoes last in, photo by Rich.

This was a huge hit, didn't hurt that we "smoked" the Gators on the field also.

* 3 medium oil-packed anchovy fillets (optional, adjust salt if added), rinsed and minced Or anchovy paste ( I used paste)
    * 2 teaspoons brined capers, drained and rinsed
    * 3 teaspoons Dijon mustard
    * 16 ounces smoked gator, cut into small dice (about 10oz, after smoking)
    * 2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
    * 2 tablespoons finely chopped Italian parsley leaves
    * 2 Compari tomatoes chopped fine (or 1 solid med.)
    * 1 stalk celery chopped fine
    * 4 teaspoons olive oil
    * 3 dashes hot sauce (such as Tabasco)
    * 4 dashes Worcestershire sauce
    * 2 teaspoons chile powder
    * 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
    * 1 tablespoon cumin
    INSTRUCTIONS

1. Combine anchovies or paste (if using), capers, and mustard in a nonreactive bowl. Using a fork or the back of a spoon, mash ingredients until evenly combined.
    2. Mix remaining ingredients into mustard mixture until thoroughly combined. Season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
    Add the tomatoes and celery last to keep from smashing the maters. Serve with chips, scoops or toast triangles
    Last edited by Mark R; 11-28-2010, 06:59 PM. Reason: Forgot cumin
    Mark
    sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
    Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Heh... yer lyin'- 'cause if I'da took that pict, I'da ate that gator! I REALLY like gator tail!
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Ain't that some sweet stuff! I'm a Seminole Fan!

Sunset Eagle Aviation
      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
        Heh... yer lyin'- 'cause if I'da took that pict, I'da ate that gator! I REALLY like gator tail!
        Luckily it was leg and rib meat, tail is really tough.

Lyin...Meee...Naaaaaa.
        Mark
        sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?

Comment

Originally posted by Slanted88 View Post
          Ain't that some sweet stuff! I'm a Seminole Fan!

So you can imagine the look on Mr Gator's face when I told him what he was eatin. By the end of the game he was ok though.
          Mark
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
            Luckily it was leg and rib meat, tail is really tough.
            Huh, only ever had tail, fried a golden brown in a spicy breading. Hmm, might have to find some of the other parts to try out eh!
            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Huh, only ever had tail, fried a golden brown in a spicy breading. Hmm, might have to find some of the other parts to try out eh!
              Yea, tail you have to grind up and make "fish" balls or pound, bread and fry it. Leg and rib meat is really good. Though most places call it tail no matter what it is?
              Last edited by Mark R; 11-28-2010, 07:11 PM.
              Mark
              sigpic

Comment

Nice Job Mark..... Seen it frozen here a while back, but have yet to try it....
                sigpic

Comment

Come on down here...My sons will take ya gator huntin...
                  Sunset Eagle Aviation
                  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Then you too could have a pic like Alex and Fish!!!

Opps just noticed I forgot to put the cumin in the recipe. Fixed it.
                    Mark
                    sigpic

Comment

I am in...Next time i get down that way slanted....Never had me gator ....looks/sounds good mark.......

Comment

Rich, I checked with a buddy that serves gator in his restaurant. He only serves tail, battered and fried. The leg and rib meat has cartridge in it, harder to clean. Don't have to deal with it in the tail meat, you do have to pound on it though!
                        Mark
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X