Spare Rib gumbo w-pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spare Rib gumbo w-pics

Still no smoking going on in my world, WSM & kettles have been in the garage for about a month now. Now that the summer is over really getting back into the kitchen & doing some cooking.

Did a new gumbo recipe that called for the use of country style ribs. I went with a slab of spares, and the removed tips instead. I seared the ribs and tips in some oil in a pot, then simmered the spares and tips in 3 quarts of chicken stock & galic cloves for 2 hours. End result was really nice pork, and 2 quarts of pork infused chicken stock that I strained and set aside.

Pork was reserved and added to the gumbo at a later point along with kilbasa, diced jalapeno, diced onion, diced green pepper, diced celery, and chopped green onion.

Roux was a different version than I usually do, butter and flour done for an hour on the stovetop. An hour or 2 beers, 2 shots of bourbon, and 2 shots of tequila.... End result was a deep mahogony roux, popping with flavor.

Finished gumbo was sprinkled with gumbo file, seerved with rice and the reice topped with 2 quail eggs sunnyside up.

Really nice, rich version. Layers of deep flavors from that long cooking roux. Pork was tender and good as well. Quail egg yolk added even more depth. Next time Ill add okra.

cooked pork:

veg:

roux:

my bowl:

thanks for looking.
    Just because you welded some shit together doesnt make it a WSM.

Twitter: @GrubSeeker

cor - now that does sound good (once I've swapped the rice for some home made bread ;-)

Just one point. (and some real )
    An hour or 2 beers, 2 shots of bourbon, and 2 shots of tequila.
    So how much went in the roux (presumably with some of the pork stock) and how much went in the cook
    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
    Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
      cor - now that does sound good (once I've swapped the rice for some home made bread ;-)

Just one point.

So how much went in the roux (presumably with some of the pork stock) and how much went in the cook
      nice, Ill try the bread sometimes, typically i use that to sop up any broth left in the bowl..

All the alcohol was consumed by me, They were my first drinks of the day yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by chisoxjim View Post
        All the alcohol was consumed by me, They were my first drinks of the day yesterday.
        I thought thats what you meant in the original post

Comment

Originally posted by ijusthvit View Post
          I thought thats what you meant in the original post
          my bad, rouxs are often measured time wise in how many beers or drinks consumed while cooking(aka 2 beer roux, etc).

Comment

my bad, rouxs are often measured time wise in how many beers or drinks consumed while cooking(aka 2 beer roux, etc).
            In my case many recipes are timed with booze. No matter how you slice it Jim that stuff looks fantastic. I'll be doing a variation of that soon as I get some leftover pulled pork. I REALLY like the way you cook. Thanks for the Idea. One question though; Gumbo File? Seen it in the store, never used it. What's in it? I'm assuming it's a blend? powerful? subtle?
            JT

Comment

Originally posted by Whisky Fish View Post
              In my case many recipes are timed with booze. No matter how you slice it Jim that stuff looks fantastic. I'll be doing a variation of that soon as I get some leftover pulled pork. I REALLY like the way you cook. Thanks for the Idea. One question though; Gumbo File? Seen it in the store, never used it. What's in it? I'm assuming it's a blend? powerful? subtle?
              thanks, I had fun.

gumbo file is ground sassfrass leaves. it is a unque flavor, but also is a thickening agent.

Comment

measured time wise in how many beers or drinks consumed while cooking(aka 2 beer roux, etc).
                Thats how I judge when brisket is done
                Craig
                sigpic

Comment

Nice Gumbo. It about gumbo time in my house real soon. C'mon" Alex eat the damn rice for cryin out loud

Comment

Boy 'o boy! I'd gladly pay you Tuesday for a plate of that today! Looks great
                    Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
                    Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

looks like some good stuff

I'll have to check out your grubspot for the recipe, and yes okra is a must have.

Always love a good gumbo recipe!

I think I need to add a category in my recipe file just for the stuff you turn out!

Comment

thanks guys,

as good as it was last night it was better tonight. like all soups/stews...

Comment

some better pics:

Comment

I like that timing technique

GOSM
                            K.C.B.S Member # 60786
                            Digital Thermometers
                            Hybrid Kenmore grill 1/2 charcoal 1/2 gas
                            140 lb English Mastiff/ American Bulldog, she is my taste tester and BBQ companion.

Comment

I got asked for more specifics on the recipe:

1 tbsp veg. oil
                              1.5 lbs pork spare ribs & tips
                              3 quarts chicken stock
                              3 cloves garlic whole
                              2 sticks butter
                              1.5 cups flour
                              1 green pepper diced
                              3 jalapenos seeded and diced
                              1 onion diced
                              4 scallions diced
                              1/2 tsp thyme
                              1/2 tsp oregano
                              1/2 tsp garlic powder
                              1/4 tsp cayenne
                              1/4 tsp paprika
                              1/4 tsp black pepper
                              2 bayleaf
                              1/2 lb sausage(kilbasa or andoullie)

Heat the veg oil in a large pot, add ribs and brown all sides. Add 3 quarts of stock and garlic. Bring to boil, and then reduce to a low simmer, skimming foam. Simmer for 2 hours. Remove ribs and set aside. Set stock aside and keep warm(probably about 2 quarts), skimming fat.

Put butter in pot at low heat, gradually add flour, stirring occasionally. Cook roux for 1 hour until it is a dark mahogany color. Stir in onion, green pepper, jalapeno, and 1/2 of the green onions, cook for about a minute.

Whisk stock into roux & veg. mix, and increase heat to medium high. Brining to a boil. Add dry spices, and pull the pork meat off the bones and add it to the mix. Simmer for about 30 minutes.

Add the sausage and simmer for 20 minutes.

Its good to go at this point.. Serve over cooked white rice, garnish with remaining green onion, and sprinkle some gumbo file on the bowl if you want.

First night is really good, 2nd night is great.

Comment

Working...
                              X