Fried Mush

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fried Mush

I have been receiving the almost daily recipes in my e-mail for probably the last 6-7 years from this place. mostly tried and true down home cookin recipes

http://www.chitterlings.com/

I don't know why Fried Mush sounded good to me. So I made it exactly as the copied and pasted recipe below.

To: CBurchard

I had fried mush as a kid and missed it badly, especially during
    the winter months. Having made it several time from a box of
    cornmeal (recipe on box) it always seemed to crack and split when
    frying, so I adapted the following recipe and now it crisps up
    nicely.

Fried Mush

4 cups water
    1 tsp salt
    1 cup cornmeal
    3 pats butter (total)
    1 tbs bacon fat

Bring 3 cups water to a boil. Combine 1 cup water with salt and
    cornmeal, mix well. Slowly pour into boiling water, stirring
    constantly. Cook until thickened, stirring frequently. Cover
    and continue to cook over low het 5 minutes. When thickened,
    remove from heat and stir in 2 pats of butter and 1 tablespoon
    bacon fat, stirring until dissolved. Pour into a buttered loaf
    pan, cover with waxed paper and chill until set. When set
    remove to a cutting board and slice into 1/2 inch pieces. Heat
    1 pat of butter in a cast iron skillet and when melted place
    slices of cornmeal in and fry on one side, turn, and continue
    frying until crispy. Can be served with syrup or tomatoe
    gravy. Enjoy!

You can see it set up nice and sliced like soft cheese or jello.

It fried up nice and crisp, but took about 12 minutes per side in a medium hot cast iron.

My wife had made chili and I was just wanting to try something different to go with it, I had to sample one when she wasn't in the kitchen. Sure it was crisp on the exterior and like molten mush on my chin. It looked like fried cheese.
    I said;OK she aint gonna dig this so made plan B, the ol stand by.

I want to play with this some more. It seemed alot of water and am thinking using only 3 cups next time and replace the 4th with a egg.

I think this could be good adding alot of things like onion, peppers, rubs, herbage cheese etc........ After it cooled it was better

Anyone ever make this sort of dish?

There are some Rock on Ready Recipes in that joint! Saved...for sure!
    Sunset Eagle Aviation
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Yum... the Italians do this with left-over polenta. Good stuff!
      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
        Yum... the Italians do this with left-over polenta. Good stuff!
        Just had that yesterday. It wasn't leftover, my wife made a batch specifically for frying. We had it deep fried and served up with honey. It was set up stiffer than Lee's and the polenta is a lot coarser corn meal.
        sigpic
        Smoke Vault 24

Comment

I knew it had to be similar to polenta seeing it often on them food shows. And figured it was some type of ground grain, come to find out it is cornmeal Maybe finer ground???. Wonder why they had to give MUSH such a snazzy name as POLENTA. Sounds like an Italian Mini Van. I am gonna play around with this stuff and see where it takes me.

Comment

I guess I was writing when you posted this. So its coarser ground. I usually always use yellow corn meal but the last time I picked some I got the white and it is alot finer. Maybe I should look for the specific polenta grind.

Originally posted by Bassman View Post
            Just had that yesterday. It wasn't leftover, my wife made a batch specifically for frying. We had it deep fried and served up with honey. It was set up stiffer than Lee's and the polenta is a lot coarser corn meal.

Comment

Just for the record, we always had polenta covered in a rich tomato/real black olive wild game sauce...woodcock, pats and rabbit typically, cooked to fall apart stage. The winner of the evening had the most BB's on their plate ;{)
              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I got a 410 for rabbit hunting this winter because of the BB's. I hate biteing into them. The 12 guage was nice for gutting and skinning though.

QUOTE=Richtee;158563]Just for the record, we always had polenta covered in a rich tomato/real black olive wild game sauce...woodcock, pats and rabbit typically, cooked to fall apart stage. The winner of the evening had the most BB's on their plate ;{)[/QUOTE]

Comment

Originally posted by SmokinLee View Post
                  I got a 410 for rabbit hunting this winter because of the BB's. I hate biteing into them. The 12 guage was nice for gutting and skinning though.

QUOTE=Richtee;158563]Just for the record, we always had polenta covered in a rich tomato/real black olive wild game sauce...woodcock, pats and rabbit typically, cooked to fall apart stage. The winner of the evening had the most BB's on their plate ;{)
                  [/QUOTE]

Lee, I had to go to a natural grocer here (vitamins and organic veggies, etc.) to find polenta. It also works great for getting pizza to slide off the peel. I have three .410s but still prefer the .22 if I can catch them setting still. Head shots don't waste any meat.

Rich, I've eaten a boxcar full of polenta with rabbit and pasta sauce. Good stuff!
                  sigpic
                  Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Hi Lee
                    I have tried this only used Tillamook Cheddar and Homeade Andouille.Then fried
                    it.It turned out good,With a couple over easy eggs on top.

Gorgonzola Grit Cakes

3 cups water
                    1 cup water ground grits (not instant!)
                    1 tsp. salt
                    3 oz. gorgonzola, crumbled
                    1 egg, beaten
                    flour for dredging
                    2-3 TB. vegetable oil

1. Bring water to a boil. Add salt and grits and lower heat. Cook until thick, stirring constantly, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in egg and gorgonzola, stirring until cheese is melted and well combined.
                    2. Pour grits into 8" cake pan (round is better). Cool in pan and then refrigerate uncovered until completely set, at least an hour after cool.
                    3. With a 2-1/2" round cutter, carefully cut grits into 6 rounds and remove from pan. Dredge rounds in flour.
                    4. Heat oil in large skillet until hot. Pan-fry grit cakes until golden, about 2 minutes each side. Serve immediately.

**Make sure that the oil is hot enough before frying or the grits will begin to fall apart before browning.

Makes 6 grit cakes.

Got it off Nola Cuisine.
                    sigpic

Certified Sausage Head

Comment

All sounds real good too me .Ill try some and se what happens .
                      Anything smoked is da bomb .

Comment

Thanks for the recipe. I am eating some for breakfast right now. I just broke em up, zapped and put some honey on them. Not bad

Originally posted by Critterhunter View Post
                        Hi Lee
                        I have tried this only used Tillamook Cheddar and Homeade Andouille.Then fried
                        it.It turned out good,With a couple over easy eggs on top.

Gorgonzola Grit Cakes

3 cups water
                        1 cup water ground grits (not instant!)
                        1 tsp. salt
                        3 oz. gorgonzola, crumbled
                        1 egg, beaten
                        flour for dredging
                        2-3 TB. vegetable oil

1. Bring water to a boil. Add salt and grits and lower heat. Cook until thick, stirring constantly, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in egg and gorgonzola, stirring until cheese is melted and well combined.
                        2. Pour grits into 8" cake pan (round is better). Cool in pan and then refrigerate uncovered until completely set, at least an hour after cool.
                        3. With a 2-1/2" round cutter, carefully cut grits into 6 rounds and remove from pan. Dredge rounds in flour.
                        4. Heat oil in large skillet until hot. Pan-fry grit cakes until golden, about 2 minutes each side. Serve immediately.

**Make sure that the oil is hot enough before frying or the grits will begin to fall apart before browning.

Makes 6 grit cakes.

Got it off Nola Cuisine.

Comment

That looks good you old musher....

Comment

Say,,you aint gettin mushy on me now are ya? Just got in from the last hour of the last evening on the last day of firearm deer season. I wasn't gonna go because it was raining like a beotch and windy as heck. No roof in the tree stand and no water proof cloths. It was 50 degrees out but I am chilled to the bone. Nothing like some nice hot chili over top of some Mush. I didn't see squat.

Comment

Get in the truck and drive fast on the back roads with your lights off. Works for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X