Celery root question for ALX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Celery root question for ALX

K so Riches rub has got powdered celery stalk in it. I did celery seed. Loved it, but caution was advised in favor of the stalk. I've been using celery root in a bunch of dishes. Celery stalk has a terrible yield when you dehydrate. Tell me about dehydrated celery root. Just thinkin out loud here ALX.
    JT

Hmmm... if ya order some rub... I'll be happy to toss in some powdered stalk for experimentin'...I'm using alot less now that my rub is made at a spice house ;{) I think I got a couple pounds around here.
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I picked up some dried celery peices for trying in my rub. Just got to whirl it or mill it. I have only used the seed before and liked it. I started toasting them the last few times before grinding, it was good.

Comment

Damn Rich, your like the Sho linn priest with the stone in your hand. Sorry brother but I'm grabbin that stone. You've got me thinkin so far ahead, if you're done with it, , ,it's old news
        JT

Comment

Not that I'm done with it... just don't need the amount I have vac'd up. It's real nice with the mellower yet definable celery flavor.
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by SmokinLee View Post
            I picked up some dried celery peices for trying in my rub. Just got to whirl it or mill it. I have only used the seed before and liked it. I started toasting them the last few times before grinding, it was good.
            Great Idea!

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
            Not that I'm done with it... just don't need the amount I have vac'd up. It's real nice with the mellower yet definable celery flavor.
            Rich you know I wouldn't think any thing bad here. I've known you for a year now and you got nuthin but good in ya. I'm actually tryin to be complimentary. Your rub is something to be better than. You set the bar. And yes sir, I want to beat it. What better compliment than having the people you've mentored strive to do better than you?
            JT

Comment

Definetly with rich on the dehydrated celery etc...I have used that long time...Old Bay has a harder hit with the celery seed..I Like that ,but its usually in a blue crab boil etc........

I will be dehydrating a batch soon of celery..figure i will do 10 pounds and weigh out before-n- after...Might as well...have mucho tyme,sage to do and some garlic ,onion too....

When i roast and then dehydrate my green chiles...It comes out about 10 pounds to one pound(seedless)...Price we pay for goodness....Then again me sisters green chile earnings paid for my dehydrators years ago...

On a side note..Celery powder and seed are favorites of me old mums..so when i was figuring out rubs awhile back i liked what they added...It is all about the mixing of flavors...

I am also gonna make some more celery salt...Thats good chit dere...Add some homemade hickory smoked etc..sea salt to that celery...Endless possibilities man...

I will say one thing though....Playing with these different profiles can pay off...We make our own rubs for competitions(KCBS and Chile) and i can guarantee it seperated us from some long time winners on circuit we compete against regularly..I have been growing long time and the amounts i produce are enough for my group,but dont discount certain pepper profiles,fresh garlic,onion powders etc....I would think you folk would be in perfect area for the dehydrating gig etc...

Comment

Originally posted by ALX View Post
                Definetly with rich on the dehydrated celery etc...I have used that long time...Old Bay has a harder hit with the celery seed..I Like that ,but its usually in a blue crab boil etc........

I will be dehydrating a batch soon of celery..figure i will do 10 pounds and weigh out before-n- after...Might as well...have mucho tyme,sage to do and some garlic ,onion too....

When i roast and then dehydrate my green chiles...It comes out about 10 pounds to one pound(seedless)...Price we pay for goodness....Then again me sisters green chile earnings paid for my dehydrators years ago...

On a side note..Celery powder and seed are favorites of me old mums..so when i was figuring out rubs awhile back i liked what they added...It is all about the mixing of flavors...

I am also gonna make some more celery salt...Thats good chit dere...Add some homemade hickory smoked etc..sea salt to that celery...Endless possibilities man...

I will say one thing though....Playing with these different profiles can pay off...We make our own rubs for competitions(KCBS and Chile) and i can guarantee it seperated us from some long time winners on circuit we compete against regularly..I have been growing long time and the amounts i produce are enough for my group,but dont discount certain pepper profiles,fresh garlic,onion powders etc....I would think you folk would be in perfect area for the dehydrating gig etc...
                The reason I was curious was that since you grow it, (the celery stalk) I was curious if you've ever used the root? We buy it aroung here. About the size of a big softball. It's got huge celery flavor, the texture of Jicama and I would think that dehydrating it may be like celery stalk powder on steriods.
                JT

Comment

Originally posted by Whisky Fish View Post
                  Rich you know I wouldn't think any thing bad here. I've known you for a year now and you got nuthin but good in ya. I'm actually tryin to be complimentary. Your rub is something to be better than. You set the bar. And yes sir, I want to beat it. What better compliment than having the people you've mentored strive to do better than you?
                  Indeed! OK... well... how bout this: Since I want you to succeed, (That was the point of the offer) get me your address and I'll send just some powder. Not as much as I could if ya got a flat rate box with the rub, but I can get you like 3 Oz. in an envelope. Check it out... it's here and I don't need it.

Comment

Originally posted by Whisky Fish View Post
                    The reason I was curious was that since you grow it, (the celery stalk) I was curious if you've ever used the root? We buy it aroung here. About the size of a big softball. It's got huge celery flavor, the texture of Jicama and I would think that dehydrating it may be like celery stalk powder on steriods.
                    OH...The root....Man never done that or thought about it...I learn something everyday....I have heard of using the root,but i am lucky to get 12-16 plants a year...not the best either in my climate.....
                    Last edited by ALX; 11-30-2010, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                      Indeed! OK... well... how bout this: Since I want you to succeed, (That was the point of the offer) get me your address and I'll send just some powder. Not as much as I could if ya got a flat rate box with the rub, but I can get you like 3 Oz. in an envelope. Check it out... it's here and I don't need it.
                      You're the best Rich, You probably have me on file and I am due for anuther Mad Hunky fix, , ,but I want the seperate glue on lable Makes the mason jar look good. I'll drop in an order tomorrow.
                      Thanx Bro!

JT
                      JT

Comment

Deal... might even toss in a nostril full of Smitty's ;{)

Comment

Keep it in!

Too much water, inappropriate nutrients and high salinity in soil creates bitter celery.
                          Most plant suck in nutrients and salts with the water and expel them through the leaves but celery has a much harder time with it so they have more of a tendency to hold in salts and nutes which can very easily cause the bitter flavor.
                          Even something as simply watering from a garden hose attached to an outside spigot will leave a lot of the crap they add to the water supply lingering in celery stalks.

Most veggies get rid of the baddies perfectly fine but for some reason (probably the particular cell structure and high water content) celery has a hard time cleansing itself.

And remember, if you have unwanted material in your plant it will show up in a more concentrated form in your seeds and carry over unless you thoroughly flush the plant at least 2-3 weeks before bolting or seed production begins.

OH...The root....Man never done that or thought about it...I learn something everyday....I have heard of using the root,but i am lucky to get 12-16 plants a year...not the best either in my climate.....
                          Celery root puree, can't explain how tasty it is...SO good...so tasty...soooo.... should have sent a poet

There is a cure...http://phoenixtears.ca/

sigpic

Comment

Gimme a break jim...Best you grow awhile and learn from that.....That ways you dont confuse yourself with BS from sites that dont grow stuff .....Then again baking soil in oven is a novel idear.......

Originally posted by Fire it up View Post
                            Keep it in!

Too much water, inappropriate nutrients and high salinity in soil creates bitter celery.
                            Most plant suck in nutrients and salts with the water and expel them through the leaves but celery has a much harder time with it so they have more of a tendency to hold in salts and nutes which can very easily cause the bitter flavor.
                            Even something as simply watering from a garden hose attached to an outside spigot will leave a lot of the crap they add to the water supply lingering in celery stalks.

Most veggies get rid of the baddies perfectly fine but for some reason (probably the particular cell structure and high water content) celery has a hard time cleansing itself.

And remember, if you have unwanted material in your plant it will show up in a more concentrated form in your seeds and carry over unless you thoroughly flush the plant at least 2-3 weeks before bolting or seed production begins.

Celery root puree, can't explain how tasty it is...SO good...so tasty...soooo.... should have sent a poet

Comment

Gimme a break jim...Best you grow awhile and learn from that.....That ways you dont confuse yourself with BS from sites that dont grow stuff .....Then again baking soil in oven is a novel idear.......
                              Plenty of years under my belt in the garden, them 9' tall mater plants I grow seem happy enough.

The baking soil idea (which I did get from some grow sites) came about when I decided I wanted to start using my own soil to start my plants instead of buying from the store but knew there would be eggs and bugs overwintering in it but the 180 temp mark works beautifully and beats anything I could have bought in a bag.

But what I like to do is try and get any info out there that I can to help others when it comes to gardening, like the celery tip.
                              Nothin worse than a bite of some bitter celery because it wasn't able to expel it's salts properly
                              There is a cure...http://phoenixtears.ca/

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X